• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Likewise, using and understanding are two different things. I bet that only < 0.0001% of people that ever used an Audio CD understand Reed-Solomon.
Wasn't that some guy from the bible?

/I'll let myself out

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
seems to me for the science to be wrong there would have to be some as yet unmeasurable, undetectable property of electrical current.

Not only that but this property must have no effect on anything that use electrical power (since it would have been noticed) except for audio replay. Where its effect is so powerful as to create audible differences.

It would mean that all foo products must have been developed by people who have identified and quantified this property but rather than claim their nine million dollar Nobel prize are content to keep it a secret and carry on grubbing around knocking out magic fuses, grounding boxes and the rest of it.

Or they just blundered about trying all sorts of random crap until they accidentally hit on something that works - but they don't know why it works.

None of that seems to be remotely likely.
All snake oil is actually a form of ideal anti-memristor?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
seems to me for the science to be wrong there would have to be some as yet unmeasurable, undetectable property of electrical current.
Once you're an engineer, and they know you can be trusted, you're told the secret.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw someone comment elsewhere that people in audio don't use Fourier Transforms.
Saw that as well. Part of a broader trend to equate experience as a hobbyist or salesperson with experience in engineering. I mean, I love it when people say they are experts in audio because they sold/owned stereo equipment for years.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Saw that as well. Part of a broader trend to equate experience as a hobbyist or salesperson with experience in engineering. I mean, I love it when people say they are experts in audio because they sold/owned stereo equipment for years.
That's another unique thing about audio replay. It's the only field in which people think they can gain expertise via an entirely passive process.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's another unique thing about audio replay. It's the only field in which people think they can gain expertise via an entirely passive process.
And obviously going by some of our posters, offer advice from a background of complete ignorance. I guess they have no biases that way.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find that particularly fascinating. By that logic the chickens should be the leading experts in eggs.Its ok for me to say that because some of my best friends are chickens.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find that particularly fascinating. By that logic the chickens should be the leading experts in eggs.Its ok for me to say that because some of my best friends are chickens.
I just had one for dinner!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
By the same logic car mechanics should be obsolete…

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And obviously going by some of our posters, offer advice from a background of complete ignorance. I guess they have no biases that way.
My ignorance isn't complete, I knew enough to know that I don't know much about what is a complex multi-diciplinary field. It was only when I started reading this site about 5 years ago that I began to realise just how much I don't know.

It's confusing when people reject the opportunity to learn, especially about something they are really interested in.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My ignorance isn't complete, I knew enough to know that I don't know much about what is a complex multi-diciplinary field. It was only when I started reading this site about 5 years ago that I began to realise just how much I don't know.

It's confusing when people reject the opportunity to learn, especially about something they are really interested in.
In my experience, the leading cause of inability to acquire new information is one's conviction of already having it. When we think we know it, we do not think or hear about it. Except for fish - fish doesn't think because fish knows everything. I bet @fpitas had one of those for dinner as well!

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I certainly wasn't thinking about you, in any event. Your comments are generally sensible.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I certainly wasn't thinking about you, in any event. Your comments are generally sensible.
I have an academic back ground however I have very little formal education in electronics and none in engineering; but I do like to base decisions on facts and evidence. Really for people like me what's important is knowing enough about audio to be able to distinguish between the experts and the salesmen.

NattyLumpkins

I think that would be a good idea. I had a few copies, but involuntarily deleted them some time back when my old computer decided to die. :facepalm:

I now connect only to Broskie's Tube CAD Journal. https://www.tubecad.com/index.htm

Please do not take this interest as testimony that I know my way around an electronic circuit. I don't.

Jim

Okay I finally got these uploaded

This is the link for Issues 1 - 20 of Vacuum Tube Valley
Let me know if you have any difficulty and it would be great if this could be moved to the resource page if that is appropriate

NattyLumpkins

So you have exactly zero idea of how audio measurement is done. Zero.
Only with an oscilloscope. I don't have any Audio precision gear. You realize DFT and FFT are used in all kinds of ways. They're used in economics and finance too.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Only with an oscilloscope. I don't have any Audio precision gear. You realize DFT and FFT are used in all kinds of ways. They're used in economics and finance too.
Since my first job after my post-doc was working for the Chief Scientist at Nicolet in the 1980s, and I teach a course in its use for seniors and grad students, I have a fair familiarity.

Fourier Transforms are the backbone of EVERY audio analysis package, including REW, ARTA, Virtins MI, you name it. The idea that it's exotic or only rarely used is a perfect demonstration of not having the faintest clue about audio measurement.

NattyLumpkins

Since my first job after my post-doc was working for the Chief Scientist at Nicolet in the 1980s, and I teach a course in its use for seniors and grad students, I have a fair familiarity.

Fourier Transforms are the backbone of EVERY audio analysis package, including REW, ARTA, Virtins MI, you name it. The idea that it's exotic or only rarely used is a perfect demonstration of not having the faintest clue about audio measurement.
The point I was making is that they are used literally everywhere, not just in audio. They are used in every discipline of engineering, finance and economics. It was very late for me when I made that post so if I implied something incorrectly, my apologies. I can't even remember the post.
Why are you being so pointy? You know nothing about me.

Top Bottom