• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

dasdoing

Major Contributor
So to what length do we want to go to measure this speaker? Assuming Genelec is willing, I would need a professional crew to help unpack and load it up on NFS platform. I will likely need to build a crane to hang the thing from the ceiling, etc. Let's say we are talking $1,000 for this. Genelec of course would have to chip in with shipping which will cost near this. Do we think it is worth going through such an expense and effort for something that almost none of you will buy?

In my opinion, considering Genelec's apparent lack of Klippel technology (if that is indeed the case), and given the influence of ASR as a marketing platform for them, it would be in their best interest to prioritize measurements and assume the associated costs. This is especially important when it comes to flagship products that contribute significantly to brand building.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes spot on, £60k is not cheap, but for a complete system, GLM, online back-out/advice and if you compare it to the ‘boutique’ high end offerings …
Keith

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'm surprised it doesn't have a built in DAC like the rest of the Ones

dedobot

I'm surprised it doesn't have a built in DAC like the rest of the Ones
The DACs must be in the amps. The speaker cabinet haven't digital inputs. 2 high level speakOn inputs /bottom and uper section/ and rj-45 for the LED's power/control. That's everything at the cabinets.

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting people could be disappointed by this announcement. Genelec came out with a speaker designed profoundly different from the rest of their speaker portfolio.

Maybe it’s just sour grapes because it isn’t relevant as a home speaker, but talk about a tough crowd.
I think it's sour grapes because it's so expensive. Comments about it being ugly are ridiculous given its target audience: pro studios who want something compact/functional without any design gimmicks to waste cost

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Screenshot_20230517_152923_Chrome.jpg

Which is better ? :)

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I think it's sour grapes because it's so expensive. Comments about it being ugly are ridiculous given its target audience: pro studios who want something compact/functional without any design gimmicks to waste cost
@$50K They would have sold many more units

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The 1236A has a bit higher max SPL and is better suited for soffit mounting, the 8381A has smoother horizontal and vertical directivities and much bigger freedom of placement and would be my personal choice if I could afford them.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh yeah I’d be going crazy right now. My dealer would have gotten a deposit already. Not shipping until September and the shipping costs look scary.
Not for the same use. Those are for soffit mount, which is no longer used in studios.
Why have they stopped doing it?

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep in mind that all Genelec speakers are expensive because they are manufactured in Finland, and these are particularly expensive because they have unique drivers and designs that are not shared anywhere else so the cost of their development is 100% amortized by these speakers alone. For example, The Ones have at least 4 different sizes to offset their development cost over a greater volume of sales.

For the sake of discussion, hypothetically, if it costs them $10 million to develop these speakers and the benefits of that development cannot be applied to any other speakers in their lineup, and they want to recoup that cost over 5 years, that's $2 million per year on top of the cost to manufacture each unit. If they sell 100 pairs per year for the next 5 years, each sale will have to include an additional $20,000 to recoup the original $10 million development cost. After 5 years, the price of the speakers may then be discounted because the $10 million have been repaid so we'll be at your $50K budget!

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seriously? Why? I thought that placing the speakers in the wall would provide the best possible quality.
This has been discussed a lot and someone will hopefully go into more detail but basically you eliminate SBIR. The sides and back waves are “swallowed” by the wall.

Top Bottom