• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does a jittery stream affect quality if reclocked?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is an interesting thread:
Why is USB audio relevant for an SPDIF interface? It’s a totally different principle.

OP
Mat

Mat

i think this kinda got off the original question so i'll rephrase

If a jittery stream that's been reclocked sounds & functions perfectly fine, can a non-jittery stream (running through the same reclock process) sound better?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's say I have an ASRC DAC which gives different looking FFT graphs of source 12k sine signal coming from different streamers, I mean a digital domain here. What would be the explanation?
You would not get such a situation in the digital domain. If the bitstreams have the same bits, the FFT would be the same. In the digital domain there is no jitter. Jitter only happens when you convert from analog to digital or digital to analog. It comes from timing in the clock used for the conversion.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If a jittery stream that's been reclocked sounds & functions perfectly fine, can a non-jittery stream (running through the same reclock process) sound better?
The first question is: can you hear a jittery stream at all (given that the receiver can keep lock)? Next, it will depend on the ability of the receiver to reject the jitter. There are various methods of reclocking, all with their own specifics.

In general though, jitter is no issue and is not audible unless the receiver is designed by a potato. Reclocking will therefore not make it sound better.

OP
Mat

Mat

The first question is: can you hear a jittery stream at all (given that the receiver can keep lock)?
yes, like i said it sounds and functions perfectly fine after being reclocked

In general though, jitter is no issue and is not audible unless

Yeah this is the problem I've gotten into, so many threads and youtube videos describing what jitter sounds like or how it affects sound that I'm not sure if I'm hearing the results of jitter or its just in my head at this point

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah this is the problem I've gotten into, so many threads and youtube videos describing what jitter sounds like or how it affects sound that I'm not sure if I'm hearing the results of jitter or its just in my head at this point

Note that these examples are extremes. Normal jitter is orders of magnitude smaller.

Also:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Slow down guys. Lots of incorrect information in this thread already. I'm assuming everyone is posting in good faith.

First digital streams have no jitter. Jitter occurs in conversions due to a clock not being perfect. No where in a .wav file for instance is timing encoded other than the rate of conversion. No timing is in it.

Now SPDIF embeds the clock in the format. So a receiving DAC has to lock onto that stream to extract timing. Usually with a PLL. Jitter can be in that signal and various DACs vary in their ability to filter it out or lock onto it.

USB does not work that way. Clocking is done at DAC chip by a free running clock that does not lock onto anything. Usually this is very low in jitter.

So the Op describes his DAC not locking onto an SPDIF source with skips and dropouts. It could be due to an overly jittery SPDIF signal or a DAC with poor ability to lock on. A reclocker in the middle of that could clean up the signal so he gets a good lock.

Now generally if you have a good lock it is very, very, uncommon for jitter to be at audible levels. Cannot say it cannot happen, but almost never does. At that point one source might have more or less jitter, but they won't result in slightly better or worse sound quality in terms that are perceptible.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
You would not get such a situation in the digital domain. If the bitstreams have the same bits, the FFT would be the same. In the digital domain there is no jitter. Jitter only happens when you convert from analog to digital or digital to analog. It comes from timing in the clock used for the conversion.
What do you think is this then?

1682539019059.png

Would you retrieve the same bits from the spdif carrier when there are different source devices with different clocks and your receiver doesn't lock to the incoming spdif clock?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you think is this then?

View attachment 281639

Would you retrieve the same bits from the spdif carrier when there are different source devices with different clocks and your receiver doesn't lock to the incoming spdif clock?
Agreeing with Voodooless. I'd need to know more, but these are not the same bitstreams. Probably from analog conversions.

If you get a lock, you get the same data and an FFT of that data is the same. Once you convert it to analog the FFT may have differences.

If you don't get a lock, then you don't have an intact signal.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not. It's an FFT of reclocked spdif signal using ASRC miniDSP device, passed thru USB.
If that is a digital signal from start to finish you have some other issues. Can you slow down and describe in detail the signal path and how that FFT was obtained?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Agreeing with Voodooless. I'd need to know more, but these are not the same bitstreams. Probably from analog conversions.

If you get a lock, you get the same data and an FFT of that data is the same. Once you convert it to analog the FFT may have differences.

If you don't get a lock, then you don't have an intact signal.
Those results are based on streams coming from different devices playing the same content, and captured on the same ASRC device.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those results are based on streams coming from different devices playing the same content, and captured on the same ASRC device.
Captured how? You have to understand, by its design if all of that is digital, then they have to be the same, or at some point something has altered some of the bits. It is inherent in how digital audio works. Why is ASRC involved if these are all digital streams?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not. It's an FFT of reclocked spdif signal using ASRC miniDSP device, passed thru USB.
Okay, so it’s essentially digitally resampled data. Looks like the SPDIF receiver and ASRC aren’t doing a good job. I’m guessing your source sample rate was 48 kHz and the DSP rate is also 48 kHz? Often this is a worst case scenario for an ASRC.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Okay, so it’s essentially digitally resampled data. Looks like the SPDIF receiver and ASRC aren’t doing a good job.
Maybe they are not doing a good job, but as you could see the device which is responsible for that is giving 3 different results for 3 different source devices.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Captured how? You have to understand, by its design if all of that is digital, then they have to be the same, or at some point something has altered some of the bits. It is inherent in how digital audio works. Why is ASRC involved if these are all digital streams?
Because it's quite helpful to use always the same internal sampling rate when DSP functions are used? To remove the jitter?
You do not transfer digital data literally, you have to retrieve it from the analog carrier, don't you?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Okay, so it’s essentially digitally resampled data. Looks like the SPDIF receiver and ASRC aren’t doing a good job. I’m guessing your source sample rate was 48 kHz and the DSP rate is also 48 kHz? Often this is a worst case scenario for an ASRC.
Bad guess. It has been resampled from 48 to 96 kHz.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe they are not doing a good job, but as you could see the device which is responsible for that is giving 3 different results for 3 different source devices.
Possibly designed by a potato then ;) It wouldn’t be the first time a MiniDSP device has less than stellar jitter handling.

Yet I doubt any of this is audible.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My question is: Would reclocking make both streamers equal in the end, or is giving the dac a signal with less jitter to reclock going to affect sound quality for the better in any way?
Standard mechanism for extracting the incoming clock is using a PLL (Phased Locked Loop). It acts like a flywheel to add mass and reduce/eliminate variations. The mechanism works really well for high frequencies but at lower frequencies, it is not very effective. Think of a turntable. You can slow it down by putting your hand on it and trying to get it to do so. You can make the flywheel or turntable platter heavier to make it resist lower frequency perturbations. But then it would take longer to get up to speed. Same thing happens with digital audio connection. More robust PLL takes longer to lock to incoming clock and annoy the user with silence while it is doing so. Practical implementations then get rid of high frequency jitter and let the low frequency ones get through.

Every PLL has a lock range outside of which it can no longer extract the incoming clock. This is the reason for losing audio streams. Here you are losing data. So fidelity is least of your worries.

Note that the mere fact of putting audio samples in a buffer doesn't help you. The data must be played using the incoming clock rate. So if you didn't have the above PLL, you would simply be transferring input errors to output.

Top Bottom