• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

Rate this stereo DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 49 20.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 170 72.6%

• Total voters

PeteL

Major Contributor
I imagine it is either feature of the ESS DAC chip used or is kludged somehow to go into that mode. Someone less lazy than me needs to dig into the datasheet assuming it is public. :)
What I do find strange tough is that all the other "usable" filters output 4 less dBs, wondering how could that be. Assuming that the filter off don't clip the signal at max volume and outputs 0 dBFS, I am surprised you need this much margin to implement a digital filter. It's not an EQ it's just to reconstruct the signal, maybe I am missing something. 0 DBFS should get you the full voltage, whatever what it is chosen to be no?

DSJR

Major Contributor
Got to say I find the range of dacs from this maker alone a bit confusing (I'm looking on the Audiophonics.fr site). Not sure why there needs to be so many unless some chip shortages have meant forced redesigns?

geekosa

The marketing strategy of this company is a real dilemma. Why make 10 DACs in the range 150-1.500$? it just creates confusion in the clients head.
Indeed it does create confusion.
For example, I'm looking for a midend DAC (<$1000).
I wanted to go for SU-9 PRO. But the DO300 seems to be almost the same DAC for almost the same price.
The only difference I see is the I²S & AES/EBU comptibility for the DO300.
It means I don't see any reason for the SU-9 PRO to exist anymore since it seems to be the same DAC than the DO300 with less connectivity for the same price.

Maybe there is something I don't see.

And then there is the M500 MK3 which offers similar performances than the SU-9 PRO and the DO300 for a similar price.

JktHifi

[ Use Rohm's flagship DAC chip BD34301EKV, and fully optimize its performance to make its THD+N as low as -116dB;
USB uses XMOS XU-208, a real 32bit USB solution, PCM supports up to 768kHz, and DSD supports up to DSD512; ... ]

SMSL D300 ROHM DAC BD34301EKV XMOS XU208 Bluetooth 5.0 32bit 768khz DSD512
View attachment 278774

BD34301EKV
MUS-IC™ Series, 32-bit,768 kHz Sampling Stereo Audio D/A Converter

D300 is not DO300.
New 3rd generation XMOS XU-316, PCM support up to 32bit/768kHz, DSD support to DSD512;

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another pointless DAC with super high SINAD. I’m not seeing any innovation in these new DAC’s and it’s becoming pretty lame to see them coming out yearly.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And for you Roon/Tidal fans, it supports MQA rendering from all inputs: USB/Optical/Coaxial/AES.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
I could swear Amir has measured the exact same SMSL DAC a few months ago. No innovation, as usual.

They should move on to other things ...
Far be it for me to say, but it feels to me as if Amir has measured the exact same DAC (sonically) for way too long.
He should move on to other things (that aren't solved problems)

Reactions: MAB

Elitzur–Vaidman

Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere, but how close do these DACs approach the SINAD measurement limits of @amirm 's APx555?

Trell

Major Contributor
The colored Red-White RCA jacks are old components. This one, not-colored, is modern. Probably better component because mostly found on new device.
It’s for cost saving. RCA jacks have been around for decades, and a black one is no better or worse than a red or white one.

Some think a black RCA is more “modern“ but I like clearly labeled and colored jacks.

F1308

Major Contributor
It more of a curiosity as what it shows can be guessed. The reason for it is that normally tests are performed with volume is set to 0 dB/Max. In use, you would be using the volume control set to lower value otherwise your amp will be at max loudness. Folks wanted to see the impact of lowering the volume on SINAD. So that is what I am measuring. Predictably, SINAD which is dominated by noise (since distortion is so low) scales with output voltage. The lower the volume, the more noise shows up.

Interpreting the results, it says that if you set the volume to -30 dB, you still have SINAD of 100. As long as that is max playback level, you should have silence.
Is that a good reason for users setting their DACs to output @0 dB and then control de final heard loudness via the file player and/or the amplifier ?

Thank you.

JktHifi

It’s for cost saving. RCA jacks have been around for decades, and a black one is no better or worse than a red or white one.

Some think a black RCA is more “modern“ but I like clearly labeled and colored jack
But I like the black RCA after so many years red-white boring color. Not just boring, it’s almost disgusting

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Far be it for me to say, but it feels to me as if Amir has measured the exact same DAC (sonically) for way too long.
He should move on to other things (that aren't solved problems)
At this point, what is unsolved in audio land ?

If either a manufacturer or member sent in a device, Amir is obligated to test it.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
At this point, what is unsolved in audio land ?
Really? If audio is solved then it’s time to shut down the forum

Seriously though, speakers and amps are still not “solved”. Amps more so but still a long way from DACs
If either a manufacturer or member sent in a device, Amir is obligated to test it.
Obligated by whom? I’m pretty sure he’s quite capable of setting his own priorities here :)

This is a review and detailed measurements of the SMSL DO300 balanced stereo USB DAC with Bluetooth. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $549 although I see it on sale for $490.
View attachment 278725
The DO300 naturally follows the design language of other recent SMSL products. I like the colorful display and largish displayed volume level. Back panel doesn't provide any surprises:
View attachment 278726
A minor nit: I like to see color codec RCA jacks with red indicating right channel. Looking from above, it is hard to know which channel is which. I like to see trigger support to sequence powering on downstream products as well.

SMSL DO300 DAC Measurements
As usual, let's start with our usual dashboard and XLR Output with volume set to default 0 dB (it goes up to 2 dB):
View attachment 278727
You would think I would get used to such high SINAD (sum of noise and distortion) in products from SMSL but I still get a pleasant surprise when I see numbers north of 123 dB! This naturally lands in our (rather silly) top 20 best DACs ever tested rankings:
View attachment 278728

RCA output shows the typical reduction in SINAD but still fully transparent:
View attachment 278729

Volume control is dead on accurate so -30 dB is indeed, that level in output. Using that, I measured the effect of volume control on output SINAD:
View attachment 278734
The glitches are instrumentation issues. Response naturally scales with output voltage.

IMD test shows no sign of "hump" despite use of ESS DAC:
View attachment 278730

Multitone performance is exceptional of course:
View attachment 278731

As is noise performance:
View attachment 278732

Linearity is perfect as we would expect:
View attachment 278733

Jitter is perfect over USB and essentially the same over Toslink:
View attachment 278735

We have our usual suite of filters including "off:"
View attachment 278736
View attachment 278737

I would personally use Fast Linear and be done with it. Note that "off" causes a large rise in output level so be careful when comparing that to other settings:
View attachment 278738

It also has that screwed up frequency response so best left unused.

The excellent filter response translates to superb THD+N versus frequency:
View attachment 278739

Conclusions
What can I say other than the DO300 being extremely well executed as we expect from SMSL. Yes, company produces many such DACs. It is not my job to sort through them. It is yours! :)

I am happy to put SMSL DO300 DAC on my recommended list.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Excellent review Amir! Just reading about the new Topping EHA5 electrostatic headphone amplifier for $399. Would it be possible to get one for a review?

Top Bottom