• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Effect of Cannabis use on hearing

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
People have been ingesting mind-altering substances since human life began. For some reason now it's all considered "abuse".

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
People have been ingesting mind-altering substances since human life began. For some reason now it's all considered "abuse".
I think it's fair to classify it in a linguistically negative way if someone is using a substance in a materially self-destructive fashion.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's fair to classify it in a linguistically negative way if someone is using a substance in a materially self-destructive fashion.
Agreed. Often though, it's expressed simply as, "Drugs are bad!"

Peterinvan

I almost forgot to answer the question. It definitely is an enhancer and when going to a concert consume edibles (having arranged transportation). Let me put it this way, 2.00 worth of a "medium" potency hybrid strain is pretty much equivalent to a 1000 dollar upgrade (assuming the equipment is solid to begin with--say a 1500. system. When you get into really good equipment, it's almost other wordly. One thing I notice is the ability to hear reflections off of the walls as being almost distinct sources of sound. In any event the soundstage grows and significantly extends beyond the speakers, and depth becomes more apparent. Fine details grab your attention as in "why haven't I noticed that before?" But it is also super challenging if you have any technical issues whatsoever to sort through, and sometimes stupid as it may sound just choosing the next piece can be an ordeal--fun one.
I enjoy a few tokes on my dry weed vaporizer before playing a musical instrument or my music. I seldom drink alcohol any more. It's unhealty and I don't like the dumb-down effects in my head. It's only benefit to me is in a social setting where it helps with lowering inhibitions.

However, I am very wary of recommending any sensory enhancing substances to anyone, because my (50+ years) experience has shown me that everyone has a different reaction. Alcohol is similar ... it's hard to predict how imbibing folks will react.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well if you look at the homeless and down and out people in the USA there are good portion of them where substance abuse aided in their plights. Not so much with marijuana though.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well if you look at the homeless and down and out people in the USA there are good portion of them where substance abuse aided in their plights. Not so much with marijuana though.
Sure. But I doubt psychedelics for example count for even 1% of that. Alcohol though is destroying lives left and right. Guess what's illegal.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure. But I doubt psychedelics for example count for even 1% of that. Alcohol though is destroying lives left and right. Guess what's illegal.
Opioids as well, these days.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Peterinvan

I feel for the unfortunate folks that self medicate to relieve their pain. Physical or mental pain.

However, anyone can succumb to cravings for more dopamine, endorphins, or other "reward" hormones.
Chocolate? Ice Cream?
I am concerned about the young folks constantly checking their smart phones for "likes", to get the tiny dopamine hit reward.

egellings

Major Contributor
It also helped them put up with their plights, too. Sometimes yer buzz is yer best friend. It be that way sometime.

Overseas

Major Contributor
What about the impact of hearing (music) on weed consummers? Can music help them quit?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What about the impact of hearing (music) on weed consummers? Can music help them quit?
I know if I were a stoner, stoner rock would be a huge discouragement ;)

egellings

Major Contributor
Why would you want to quit? A buzz can be enjoyed and doesn't have to lead to excessive and damaging use, much like a glass of wine can.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you want to quit? A buzz can be enjoyed and doesn't have to lead to excessive and damaging use, much like a glass of wine can.
I just don't like it. But. buzz away as far as I'm concerned!

Overseas

Major Contributor

Not discussing why. Not supporting the consumption.
Just reversed the initial question.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have known people that had a tendency to overdo it. They eventually quit.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I enjoy a few tokes on my dry weed vaporizer before playing a musical instrument or my music.
I don't have a vaporizer. I wish I did. I smoke blueberry flavored moon rocks and compared to flower/buds they are way way smoother and easier to smoke. THC is 45% to 52% dependent on availability. I use a small water pipe and just barely apply the flame to get a big hoot. A small ball of moon rock at about 1/4" or so in diameter can last me maybe two or three hours and so the expense of moon rocks is not as expensive as it appears on the surface. 2g of moon rocks lasts me from 4 days to several days if I smoke everyday.

Top Bottom