• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those fake engine noises kinda make your car into a toy in my mind. They will seem weird when most or many cars are EVs. Name another product with fake constant sounds other than toys or safety warnings.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, the Muscle Car ICE bunch is probably upset today, the Camaro was cancelled. The claim is there will be something new, I'm willing to bet that the availability of low-end torque, instantaneous control over wheel slip, and such are not going to be put into another ICE driven car.
Seems like a move to keep up with Ford that dumped all the sedans and coupe body styles. I guess the Chevy Blazer EV SS is the new Camaro.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bmw adds vroom noises in the cabin using the sound system. Vw used a speaker under the hood to amplify noises from the gti, an ice vehicle.

I know it looks like I'm just joking, but it's really true.
Yeah, we have an Audi that makes noises through the audio system, and it’s just plain stupid. It is surprising that it’s the German car manufacturers, the people who tout their technology and performance orientation, who implement this nonsense. EVs that beat their performance hands down make these noises seem dumber.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I hear stories on youtube that ice cars sales in China are terrible; that actually 100,000s of cars are waiting for buyers, enormous discounts of 30 to 50% and about 80% of dealers losing money on those.

In July, apparently, new emission rules for all newly sold cars will apply, making a lot of ice cars redundant.

Anybody who can confirm the above?

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
“Fuel-agnostic”, engines may be coming. The engines will run on the fuel of your choice, be it diesel, gasoline, propane, natural gas, or, of course, hydrogen.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
“Fuel-agnostic”, engines may be coming. The engines will run on the fuel of your choice, be it diesel, gasoline, propane, natural gas, or, of course, hydrogen.
The German industry is a big fan of biofuels. The Japanese industry too.

The customers in Norway chose evs over biofuels due to costs and availability. I would be very surprised if there will be even 1 country where biofuels are used by the majority of cars or even the majority of green cars.

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The German industry is a big fan of biofuels. The Japanese industry too.

The customers in Norway chose evs over biofuels due to costs and availability. I would be very surprised if there will be even 1 country where biofuels are used by the majority of cars or even the majority of green cars.
There are applications where biofuels and hydrogen make sense. Like trucking, rail, shipping and heavy equipment. Where I live hydrogen extraction/production is going ahead full steam. Canada has long distances between major cities and industrial manufacturing locations so trains and shipping is crucial.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is surprising that it’s the German car manufacturers, the people who tout their technology and performance orientation, who implement this nonsense.
It’s not surprising at all, really. The Germans are quite resistant to EVs. They reluctantly agreed to new guidelines ending ICE cars in 2035, yet managed to add exceptions for e-fuels:

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s not surprising at all, really. The Germans are quite resistant to EVs. They reluctantly agreed to new guidelines ending ICE cars in 2035, yet managed to add exceptions for e-fuels:

What does making fake engine noises through the vehicle's audio system have to do with resisting EVs? The former is stupid, insulting, fakery, the latter is just a preference.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What does making fake engine noises through the vehicle's audio system have to do with resisting EVs? The former is stupid, insulting, fakery, the latter is just a preference.
Simple: making ICE people feel at home in an EV may help the transition.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem causing several companies to use fake sound or resonating tubes to “enhance” the sound of IC engines is simple.
People like the sound of high revving multi cylinder engines but modern efficient engines, even the very powerful ones, are low revving few cylinders at high boost and they sound sh1t, so a faux sound is added so the punter thinks he has a nice sounding engine.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand your intent. The fake noises aren't in EVs, they're in ICE cars.
Wait, I must have missed that part ;)

But I’m pretty sure that there are EVs with ICE sound effects as well.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand your intent. The fake noises aren't in EVs, they're in ICE cars.
My Porsche Taycan had an optional fake sport sound module which played a starship enterprise like sound track through speakers inside and outside the car. A lot of people like it. I turned it off after less than a minute on the demo car.
It is an option I did not select.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem causing several companies to use fake sound or resonating tubes to “enhance” the sound of IC engines is simple.
People like the sound of high revving multi cylinder engines but modern efficient engines, even the very powerful ones, are low revving few cylinders at high boost and they sound sh1t, so a faux sound is added so the punter thinks he has a nice sounding engine.
Well, I'm the punter in this case, and mostly what I feel is insulted.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Porsche Taycan had an optional fake sport sound module which played a starship enterprise like sound track through speakers inside and outside the car. A lot of people like it. I turned it off after less than a minute on the demo car.
It is an option I did not select.
Porsche too? On an EV? Nauseating.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I'm the punter in this case, and mostly what I feel is insulted.
I hate faux sounds but when I questioned why on earth anybody would like it on the Taycan forum a very large proportion, maybe even the majority, of owners said they liked it.
I was clearly not typical.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In some countries EVs are mandated to make some sound on the outside for low speeds. My Kia E-Niro also had some space sound at low speeds. It’s a bit goofy, but for pedestrians it’s safer.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In some countries EVs are mandated to make some sound on the outside for low speeds. My Kia E-Niro also had some space sound at low speeds. It’s a bit goofy, but for pedestrians it’s safer.
Most countries I think.
I don’t have the sport sound module in my car at all but it makes a sound at low speed to pass the regulation.
I don’t hear it inside the car.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Porsche too? On an EV? Nauseating.
Porsche have been selling expensive sport exhaust systems with sound enhancement designed in for decades. Not coming through the sound system but not that philosophically different IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom