• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Read a report this afternoon on EV write offs with only minor damage. Seemingly the insurance companies are insisting the garages doing the repairs indemnify them against future claims on battery damage. The garages in return are pointing out they don’t have the expertise or test equipment to guarantee there isn’t any battery damage.
And that is in a nutshell, together with 50% less maintenance for EVs and autopilot being safer than humans driving on safeways, why Tesla insurance will be a great succes.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And that is in a nutshell, together with 50% less maintenance for EVs and autopilot being safer than humans driving on safeways, why Tesla insurance will be a great succes.
Yes, here in the USA Tesla insurance is quite affordable. Apparently the insurance companies haven't seen enough of the battery in a crash issue to raise rates. The Tesla having much fewer crashes than average apparently more than balances the books.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Compared to other EV manufacturers Tesla certainly do things better. Own charging network now affordable insurance for their cars.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Compared to other EV manufacturers Tesla certainly do things better. Own charging network now affordable insurance for their cars.
..and the recent price reductions in their models, which is forcing other EV manufacturers to emulate... that is the way market-driven systems supposed to work.
:Dme likey competition:D

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I'm involved in the electric utility industry, so I have a broad knowledge of the economics of EVs and deep knowledge of Vehicle to Grid, V2G.

I have also been involved in the fuel cell industry - stationary fuel cells. As a result I have knowledge of the fuel cell industry in Japan, China, and the West. Korea has had an interest in stationary fuel cells, but I haven't followed their interest in vehicles.

So I would be glad to answer questions on those specific topics.
Anything you can say on combined cycle methane fuel cells (using the CO2 from stripping the carbon as heat to drive a secondary generation system)?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
..and the recent price reductions in their models, which is forcing other EV manufacturers to emulate... that is the way market-driven systems supposed to work.
:Dme likey competition:D
Part of the reason Tesla can do that is they sell their tax credits to other manufacturers. Remember, no market exists on its lonesome. There are countless inputs, like government subsidies.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had to go back to the top and re-read the title:

Zero-emission vehicles...​

Wikipedia stated:
A zero-emission vehicle, or ZEV, is a vehicle that does not emit exhaust gas or other pollutants from the onboard source of power. The California [CARB] definition also adds that this includes under any and all possible operational modes and conditions.
No mention of 'carbon' or 'petrol'... also no mention of any type of replenishment/recharge methods. hmmmm!:oops:
...subsidies.
We should call that word something else, so that no one throws a yellow flag...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

robwpdx

Anything you can say on combined cycle methane fuel cells (using the CO2 from stripping the carbon as heat to drive a secondary generation system)?
I am not familiar with that. There is a 2 stage methane steam reforming to make hydrogen.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I am not familiar with that. There is a 2 stage methane steam reforming to make hydrogen.
Hm, that appears different than the one I was reading about, but like most non-technical articles, it merely commented that you got 700C exhaust due to the need to somehow isolate the hydrogen. It seemed to me that the 700C exhaust (aside from being a great lot of energy going to waste) might also be able to run a secondary thermal plant. I do not, however, still have the reference, or if I do, it's buried in a backup of a backup somewhere.

ETA 700C is pretty (*&* hot.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Political posts deleted and posters issued Warnings and Thread reply bans. Please stop. :(

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some wild new EVs are coming soon. Check them out in this summary.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
That Canoo pickup truck looks like a very good idea and will sell well imo. The rest I'm not so sure about. I think automotive brands forgot what makes a car compelling.

What's needed imo are cars that are great tools at what they do and deliver at a compelling price; not so much handbuild dreamcars. (Unless it is meant to break records like the Rimac. What a great car! Purpose build and showing many usefull benefits over an ice car of the same type.)

Btw imo Ford gets it. The Mach E and F150 are not perfect but they are made for a purpose. And the company is learning to be better each iteration.

Vw obviously does not. Gm is in the same corner. Honda, Toyota....etc

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think automotive brands forgot what makes a car compelling.
Well the Canoo is over the top. Maybe I'm a little old fashioned, but I'm liking the curves and low roof on the Chevy Blazer EV
2024-chevrolet-blazer-ev-ss-exterior-side.jpg

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Well the Canoo is over the top. Maybe I'm a little old fashioned, but I'm liking the curves and low roof on the Chevy Blazer EV
2024-chevrolet-blazer-ev-ss-exterior-side.jpg

It's a nice looking car. What I look forward to is a user review and teardown by Munro.

GM wouldn't let them on their previous ev. The ultium batteries they use is according to them yesterdays tech delivered by 1 supplier. That spells trouble to me for delivering high output, while making a profit.

Still a nice looking car with great specs though.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
GM would let them on their previous ev. The ultium batteries they use is according to them yesterdays tech delivered by 1 supplier. That spells trouble to me for delivering high output, while making a profit.
I agree and generally as these large companies pivot to EVs there are going to be learning curve, supplier and quality issues as well as the grid and charging issues that seem to be foremost peoples minds.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Well, the Muscle Car ICE bunch is probably upset today, the Camaro was cancelled. The claim is there will be something new, I'm willing to bet that the availability of low-end torque, instantaneous control over wheel slip, and such are not going to be put into another ICE driven car.

On the other hand, weight, torque, and near-speed-of-light control over motor current seems quite advantageous. Maybe they'll put in an electric air pump and an interruptor to make it go vroom too?

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Well, the Muscle Car ICE bunch is probably upset today, the Camaro was cancelled. The claim is there will be something new, I'm willing to bet that the availability of low-end torque, instantaneous control over wheel slip, and such are not going to be put into another ICE driven car.

On the other hand, weight, torque, and near-speed-of-light control over motor current seems quite advantageous. Maybe they'll put in an electric air pump and an interruptor to make it go vroom too?
Bmw adds vroom noises in the cabin using the sound system. Vw used a speaker under the hood to amplify noises from the gti, an ice vehicle.

I know it looks like I'm just joking, but it's really true.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Bmw adds vroom noises in the cabin using the sound system. Vw used a speaker under the hood to amplify noises from the gti, an ice vehicle.

I know it looks like I'm just joking, but it's really true.

I know you're not joking. Ironically I can't say why, but bear in mind I have worked a bit in large audio systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom