• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 318 83.9%

• Total voters

chillwig

I had a DX3 Pro+
I have an E70
After all, I'm thinking if I didn't overpay, if I need it and if I shouldn't go back to dx3 pro +.
What do you advise?
I don't know if I can hear the difference on the Musical Fidelity M3si column amplifier?
I'm tempted to go a completely different way and try the supposedly "worse" ifi zen one signature
I think you're chasing dragons and the E70 is transparent and if you want to improve your sound, maybe look into some DSP equalization and speaker placement.

Trell

Major Contributor
I think you're chasing dragons and the E70 is transparent and if you want to improve your sound, maybe look into some DSP equalization and speaker placement.

+1

And getting a $100 UMIK-1 measurement microphone to be informed about the various placements he tries, and a few PEQ to knock down the worst bass resonances will improve the sound much.

Burns

I make sure if I need such a good DAC with TDN+N 0.00008%(E70) vs 0.00015%(dx3pro+) noise floor and can I hear it through the speakers?
Maybe it's all just dragons and magic numbers?

(Ifi zen one signature has only 0.003% (but it's burr brown and that should be audible by now))

Last edited:

funnychap

While I agree with you in general principle, it really depends a lot on how you use your rig.
If you use it in a separate room, sit in the ideal listening spot, use only the highest quality sources and listen carefully and critically to every single track, then yes, there is no point in using bluetooth.
But many use their system in everyday life, in the living room, listening to TV from speakers, watching a youtube video with decent audio, playing background music while chatting or having dinner, for all these things it is infinitely more Convenient to plug in bluetooth and manage everything from your phone.
Better to have one more choice and connection than one less.
Apart from that, frankly, I personally have serious doubts about being able to blindly distinguish an ldac 990 transmission from a bit perfect stream. And I am convinced that very few would succeed, but I could be wrong about this.
Yes builtin bluetooth is convenient but it's compressed lossy, so if you're an Apple iPhone user and willing to purchase an additional device that has Airplay2 for lossless this is a better solution for quality.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I make sure if I need such a good DAC with TDN+N 0.00008%(E70) vs 0.00015%(dx3pro+) noise floor and can I hear it through the speakers?
Maybe it's all just dragons and magic numbers?

(Ifi zen one signature has only 0.003% (but it's burr brown and that should be audible by now))

The only reason for any real audible difference between the E70 and DX3 Pro+ would be if one of them were to malfunction.

Burns

The only reason for any real audible difference between the E70 and DX3 Pro+ would be if one of them were to malfunction.
You confirm that I was unnecessarily carried away and bought twice as expensive or are you laughing?

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You confirm that I was unnecessarily carried away and bought twice as expensive or are you laughing?

Not laughing at all. I have no idea about your current or future system. You might want balanced connections if you may need a long cable run to power amps with balanced inputs. The E70 gives you that capability while the DX3 Pro+ does not.

Burns

Not laughing at all. I have no idea about your current or future system. You might want balanced connections if you may need a long cable run to power amps with balanced inputs. The E70 gives you that capability while the DX3 Pro+ does not.
My current system, which I just built and I'm not going to change it entirely, is Sonus Faber Lumina V + Musical Fidelity M3Si + Topping E70 + I'm going to buy some XXXXX streamer (maybe Ifi Zen Streamer). I am currently using an android tv and a computer. I don't use XLR because the amp doesn't have them. The added value of Topping is a good built-in power supply and trigger! But I don't know if I can hear the difference in sound between E70 and DX3pro+. I don't think. They play the same?

Burns

Additionally, E70 has XLR and RCA with independent control over the outputs. You can have either RCA or XLR active or both. Very usable in some use cases.
I know what it has. I only have RCA set up. When XLR? I won't buy the L70 because I don't like using headphones. Any other use cases?

aka_Z

I know what it has. I only have RCA set up. When XLR? I won't buy the L70 because I don't like using headphones. Any other use cases?
I have active speakers with XLR and RCA inputs. XLR is balanced and has slightly better performance, higher voltage, lower noise... In my particular use case, I need RCA output in the same time. From sounding perspective, I guess DX3 Pro (I have one without plus) and E70 are about the same. But more expensive hi-fi equipment subjectively sounds better :)

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

chillwig

If and when you decide you want to upgrade your amp, you'll have every base covered.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
E70 MU (Magic Unicorn™) edition.

That one can easily be spotted because it has the BlueTooth antenna at the front, pointing straight forward ;)

Sokel

Master Contributor
...or in some cases it can be E70 Tornado edition :facepalm::

Burns

...or in some cases it can be E70 Tornado edition :facepalm::

I have reached the 90% decision to return the E70 and plan to return to the DX3 pro+ (or other).
When it breaks, it's only half the money in the trash can!

funnychap

I got my Topping E70 from Amazon. I love my Topping E50 + Jameco linear power supply, and I like the E70 better.

I'm streaming wireless using iPhone 12 Pro Max > Apple Music lossless > Apple Airport Express via Airplay2 > optical into Topping > RCA into my Denon Heos 7 speaker with builtin amp.
The volume level on both Topping are at -5db.

I compared 2 songs over and over.
- K.D. Lang's song 'So In Love'
- Cecile Bredie's song 'The Autumn Leaves'
- Simone Kopmajer's song 'Emotion'

The E50 creates higher treble, especially with snare drums and vocals.

The E70 does not create as highs as the E50. The E70 sounds more natural, smooth and the vocalists' vibratos are better. I love a singer's vibrato.

The Topping E70 lows (bass) and mids sound a little fuller than the Topping E50.

Top Bottom