• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What stuff do I need to add to my order? (complete beginner)

notsodeadlizard

It's up to you of course, but why do you need studio monitors (that are designed for professional work) in order to listen to music?
Why do you need balanced inputs and outputs, why do you lack the usual single-end?
Why do you immediately start with a system with a subwoofer, which is generally better not to have for listening to music?
Do you have a huge studio and very long cables?
Why so difficult?

OP
M

mubix77

It's up to you of course, but why do you need studio monitors (that are designed for professional work) in order to listen to music?
Why do you need balanced inputs and outputs, why do you lack the usual single-end?
Why do you immediately start with a system with a subwoofer, which is generally better not to have for listening to music?
Why so difficult?
What would your ideal desktop setup be for listening (under 4k€ - ideally about 3k€)?

I don't have a huge studio, instead I have a very small office where I'm going to put the speakers next to the wall, next to my monitor.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Why so difficult?
Such a desktop 2.1 setup works and sounds great. He’ll even have room EQ that after calibration is stored in the monitors/subwoofer and then just works with no hassle.

Quite a few members on this forum use monitors for desktop setup.

notsodeadlizard

What would your ideal desktop setup be for listening (under 4k€ - ideally about 3k€)?
What I can say is that nothing is perfect or ideal.

To enjoy listening to music from exclusively digital sources in your budget, it is enough:
1. Piega Ace 50 / Dalí Oberon 7C / Sonus Faber Lumina III / etc class floorstanding speakers (since you were going to use a subwoofer, you probably have somewhere to put floorstanding speakers)
2. Some adequate integrated amplifier. For example, with the Atoll IN100 Signature you will be free from additional DAC box because there is AK4490 DAC inside.

Buy a regular speaker cable on Amazon, such as this:

Forget all the nonsense you've been given here and listen to the music.
The end result will be much better than what you imagined.
And it will be not so ugly visually (you have to look at all this every day, even when you are not listening to it).

Trell

Major Contributor
What I can say is that nothing is perfect or ideal.

To enjoy listening to music from exclusively digital sources in your budget, it is enough:
1. Piega Ace 50 / Dalí Oberon 7C / Sonus Faber Lumina III / etc class floorstanding speakers (since you were going to use a subwoofer, you probably have somewhere to put floorstanding speakers)
2. Some adequate integrated amplifier. For example, with the Atoll IN100 Signature you will be free from additional DAC box because there is AK4490 DAC inside.

Buy a regular speaker cable on Amazon, such as this:

Forget all the nonsense you've been given here and listen to the music.
The end result will be much better than what you imagined.
And it will be not so ugly visually (you have to look at all this every day, even when you are not listening to it).
Dude, this is for a desktop system and you recommend floor standing speakers? :facepalm:

notsodeadlizard

Dude, this is for a desktop system and you recommend floor standing speakers? :facepalm:
I do not understand what a "desktop system" is.
Is it about speakers for a computer to listen to music?
There are some pretty good ones.
For example, Ruark Audio MR1 MK2.

jae

Major Contributor
I do not understand what a "desktop system" is.
Is it about speakers for a computer to listen to music?
There are some pretty good ones.
For example, Ruark Audio MR1 MK2.
index.php

notsodeadlizard

Well, yes, exactly.
It's not even bookshelfs.
Tower case on the floor and computer speakers on the sides of the monitor.
It was a good time in the late 90s.
But there is absolutely no need to build a professional system based on balanced audio interfaces to replace ordinary decent speakers.

OP
M

mubix77

Well, yes, exactly.
But there is absolutely no need to build a professional system based on balanced audio interfaces to replace ordinary decent speakers.
I think if you look at the price of "pro" systems versus some good home systems, the worlds are blending (e.g. Genelec G Three versus 8030C).
What alternative "hifi" bookshelf speakers do you suggest?

Trell

Major Contributor
Well, yes, exactly.

:rolleyes:

Trell

Major Contributor
Buy, put on the sides of the monitor, listen to music.
At least they don't look that disgustingly plastic.

View attachment 267876

Whatever makes you think that we don't listen to music on desktop systems? We actually make quite an effort along with expenses to have real good desktop setups, and that includes room EQ in most cases.

This is just a case of you not understanding what a desktop system is and what it's used for. Welcome to this millennia.

jae

Major Contributor
Buy, put on the sides of the monitor, listen to music.
At least they don't look that disgustingly plastic.

View attachment 267876
Any measurements for these?

Those "plastic" (actually they're cast aluminum) Genelecs in fact perform better than 99% of hifi loudspeakers, as do most "pro" systems.

He could be on or near the computer for 8-12 hours a day and that may be where he prefers or has the opportunity to listen to music. Why should he compromise on fidelity?

sajgre

I'd go with something like Wiim pro for flexibility. Optical in from the computer, digital out to speakers. Now you and any guests can stream music from their mobile devices.

Another vote for Wiim pro, in fact I have this exact setup
Wiim pro, Genelec 8330+7350+glm plus I have a Genelec volume button and I love it on a desktop setup.

notsodeadlizard

Whatever makes you think that we don't listen to music on desktop systems? We actually make quite an effort along with expenses to have real good desktop setups, and that includes room EQ in most cases.

This is just a case of you not understanding what a desktop system is and what it's used for. Welcome to this millennia.
I'm saying it's not forbidden.
But precisely because it will be a constant "background" listening to music (typical for computer speakers), this is what will happen - instead of listening to music, a person will listen to the forums and will be tormented by imperceptible numbers, is 0.000032% THD sounds here or it is 0.000041%. It's important to understand the difference if you understand what I'm talking about :)

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But precisely because it will be a constant "background" listening to music (typical for computer speakers), this is what will happen - instead of listening to music, a person will listen to the forums and will be tormented by imperceptible numbers, is 0.000032% THD sounds here or it is 0.000041%. It's important to understand the difference if you understand what I'm talking about :)

This has to be a troll. Not a bad one though.

Trell

Major Contributor

Really? Lots of assumptions you make here.

Btw a 0.000032% THD corresponds to -129.9 dB, and 0.000041% to -127.7 dB, so which device are you talking about here? For surely you don't mean speakers? ;)

Top Bottom