• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

Overseas

Major Contributor
I use Tidal HIFI, non MQA, set max resolution in Wiim Pro for optical out and I am under the impression that works best.

Merifon

Well...I suppose I could pay for one streaming service...
Thanks for the link!
So, not to sidetrack the thread, which streaming service do I "go for" IF I decide that "lossy AAC" isn't good enough for me? 41.1/16 to 48/23 but the latter being "natural" not downsampled...who has the "most" of that?
I'm Tidal hi-fi user and now testing Amazon music unlimited (same price).
I prefer Tidal's app user experience but I arranged to play on the same DAC (SMSL DO100) the same songs and editions in sync play from both services and rapidly switch among them.
Amazon is from optical wiim, Tidal was set on iPhone USB connected. This is to have instant switching, without delay to stop, change and restart play. This is mandatory to catch eventual subtle differencies.
Tidal sounds very well but I must admit that with some songs, tipically those in Tidal taken from MQA post-processing (lossy), Amazon is a little bit better. Somewhat less annoying, more air on voices and better "ride" and "snare" shots, to say something.
It's a sort of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but enough to make me hard to choice: better app with 44.1 16bit only, or sometimes better sound, with that magic "192khz" on dac display?

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Well...I suppose I could pay for one streaming service...
Thanks for the link!
So, not to sidetrack the thread, which streaming service do I "go for" IF I decide that "lossy AAC" isn't good enough for me? 41.1/16 to 48/24 but the latter being "natural" not downsampled...who has the "most" of that?
I honestly couldn’t comment whether the other major streaming services upsample CD quality recordings to 24/96 and higher, nor whether they downsample 24/96 etc down to CD quality if that’s what you will limit your listening too. I can only suggest you take a free trial of Amazon Music, Tidal, Qobuz and Deezer and let your ears decide :)

Digitaltrader

Forum Donor
Depending upon what you are trying to stream, you might be able to do it directly from within the Yamaha AVR or the Yamaha MusicCast app. My Yamaha AVR has Spotify, Pandora, Internet radio and a DLNA built into it. I think the Tidal App connect feature supports the Yamaha AVR as an endpoint.

I use the Yamaha AVR app to control streaming.

None of what I wrote applies if you have an entry level Yamaha AVR that does not have network connectivity.
Thanks. It turns out that this model Yamaha will stream most of those services, but not Qobuz, which is what I have. Later models do include it. Oh well, looks like another WiiM for that room. Thanks again.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wiim remote now listed on Amazon US, to be available early March.

Last edited:

Joffy1780

Quite a few negative comments on the Wiim forum regarding the remote, which I can't understand to be honest. Looks a lot like the remotes supplied by Minidsp and includes voice control. Looks quite good I think :)

Overseas

Major Contributor
About the remote, if use fixed volume, then only voice commands are the rationale for the remote?

Or use variable volume and Wiim DAC as preamp to justify the remote?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
About the remote, if use fixed volume, then only voice commands are the rationale for the remote?

I have built a couple of remotes for my WiiMs. Use them almost exclusively for play/pause. Much more convenient that opening an app on the phone.

Joffy1780

If you use fixed volume, then the volume buttons on the remote are superfluous, but every other function on there can still be used.

Joffy1780

No need to justify the remote, if you're happy to use your phone/tablet, then just stick with that.

Cincyret

An update on my WiiM Pro purchase (apolgies..I haven't read all the posts since Jan 23rd). My Sony Bravia X900F experienced intermittant crackling (good for1-2 hrs, crackling for 2-5 min, then back to normal). I reported this to WiiM. I was asked for a video/audio sample & I provided it. Wiim responded that that indeed there was a problem with some Sonys & they were working on a fix. At the beginning of February I received a firmware update. This completely fixed the problem. All I can say is this is the best customer service for electronic/AV equipment I've ever experienced!
A few take aways:
1) Use the contact form in the WiiM app - the WiiM team really does listen.
2) If WiiM askes for additional info, provide it if you can. They are not just trying to just make your problem disappear..they really listen & act.
3) Another subject: On some inputs I was having the crank up the volume on my DAC to +95% just to get normal listening volume. In the device settings menu, there is an option for "Audio Settings". The first option is "Fixed volume output". It was set to OFF in my app. Setting it to ON (Caution! -turn down the volume on your DAC before doing this [I learned!]) solved my problem... low to medium sound levels = medium DAC volume settings.
4) On the same subject (sound levels), I now use the WiiM bluetooth to listen to Audible books sent from my phone. Again, when I sent the BT audio to my DAC the sound output was lowered & I had to "crank up the volume" just to get medium level sound volume. Not anymore.
Recap: Qobuz - direct to WiimMvia ethernet, controlled with WiiM app (waiting for Qobuz connect!); TV - Toslink to WiiM, TV remote controls content; Audible Audio books - Bluetooth from Phone app to WiiM, content controlled by Audible app. I use the WiiM app to switch between Toslink & BT... the WiiM is smart enough to recognize ethernet content & switch. I have only one (!) output from the WiiM - Coax to cable splitter & Coax to MiniDSP Flex or Topping EX5 DAC/amp.
My WiiM Pro purchase was the best experience I've had in a long time! I can't believe the Pro is only $149. Kudos to the WiiM Team.

John

Doublej

Thanks. It turns out that this model Yamaha will stream most of those services, but not Qobuz, which is what I have. Later models do include it. Oh well, looks like another WiiM for that room. Thanks again.
You sure?, see here

napfkuchen

Availability of the unit seems to be a problem for us Europeans. :( Is there anything to consider when ordering from amazon.com to Germany?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Availability of the unit seems to be a problem for us Europeans. :( Is there anything to consider when ordering from amazon.com to Germany?
Import duty (unless zero rated like in UK) and VAT and you'll have no local warranty. Shipping from overseas to UK also includes costs for the shipper dealing with customs (typically around £10. I'd assume there is something similar in DE.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Import duty (unless zero rated like in UK) and VAT and you'll have no local warranty. Shipping from overseas to UK also includes costs for the shipper dealing with customs (typically around £10. I'd assume there is something similar in DE.
Doesn't amazon.com have global shipping to many countries, which includes VAT and import duties?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't amazon.com have global shipping by default, which includes VAT and import duties?
Not if you buy from the US amazon.com, then you are shipping from the US store at US prices with (only) us taxes included.

Only if you buy from the local Amazon.co.uk, or Amazon.de

EDIT - looks like Amazon.com can estimate duty/taxes and add it as a deposit. There is no guarantee however that it will cover the full costs.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Sold by Wiim. Not sure about warranty outside the Amazon specific country. Also shipping return.

Top Bottom