• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugal1998

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is exactly why I want to see measurements… I may not be able to identify a more subtle FR issue only spending a short time in an audition, but only after extensive listening time, and after I likely already made the purchase, and them I am stuck. With the FR up front, at least you are able to see potential issues that maybe you cannot hear short term, but long term would be serious issue.
Perhaps the dealer would be kind enough to send you a nice clear photo of the Trinnov measured response (both the direct and indirect measurements) before correction, as well as the predicted response after correction for the Aeris.

Would definitely be a bummer to buy the Aeris, only to discover that your final long-term EQ makes the speaker sound more nuetral like the Salon 2.

Edit: And maybe the other dealer would do the same with the Salon 2.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Perhaps the dealer would be kind enough to send you a nice clear photo of the Trinnov measured response (both the direct and indirect measurements) before correction, as well as the predicted response after correction for the Aeris.

Would definitely be a bummer to buy the Aeris, only to discover that your final long-term EQ makes the speaker sound more nuetral like the Salon 2.

Edit: And maybe the other dealer would do the same with the Salon 2.
This seems reasonable and doable. If I were buying $1000 speakers I wouldn't request it. For $30k I for sure would.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@MKR maybe you should try some of Serblin's late designs (some measurements).
Stunning looks and they should sound ~like the classics:
The crossover design ... is low-order, phase coherent, and is tuned to achieve ‘precise soundstaging, focus and depth of image’.
-- source
Not easy to find/test them but there's a "cheap" one on Audiogon, might be your neighbor :)

P.S.
looks to me that you are enjoying this thread quite a lot and a buy might not happen anytime soon...

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
Sorry, don’t mean to be a “tease” :p … Again I had essentially had my mind made up, and now I am truly torn. Very annoying. You are only 45min from a Legacy dealer? Wow, that would be nice! I have to get on a darn plane to go see mine. I would certainly be interested in your listening impressions of the Legacy Aeris (assuming your dealer has a pair on the floor)
If you end up choosing the Aeris system, how would in-home setup work? I have seen in more than one review that Legacy sends professionals to your home to deal with placement and initial EQ. Is that true, and if so, would you have to provide transportation? Would the speakers cost a bit less if you forego that service? (It's funny, I am asking all of these questions as if I am in the market, whereas - budget considerations aside - my space would be a terrible match for these behemoths. My ideal "compromise" is the KEF LS60, and that is more within my reach...)

Reactions: MKR

aland

Note I did see the FR from the Trinnov sweep (on dealer laptop) prior to EQ and they were very flat, wish I would have taken a picture of it, but that is all I have seen.
If he showed you the measured FR from Trinnov as is presented as default on Amethyst, it was 1/3 oct and scale +/-40db. In that case most FRs look quite good. But if he zoomed in and changed the smoothing then it should be trustworthy.

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
If he showed you the measured FR from Trinnov as is presented as default on Amethyst, it was 1/3 oct and scale +-40db. In that case most FRs look quite good. But if he zoomed in and changed the smoothing then it should be trustworthy.
Great point, @aland. If MKR requests the results from both dealers, ideally they would have the same display settings. Perhaps a recommended setting for MKR to request (if he opts for this path) would be helpful.

Personally, I would want to see 20hz-20khz with 1/12th or even 1/24th octave smoothing and a scale of +/-10 or 15db (I’d have to see what the available settings are). This may clip some of the peaks and dips below the room’s transition frequency, but that’s ok since it’s showing the room’s response and not the speaker’s response below the transition.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Are we now suggesting the worst measuring loudspeaker for MKR to audition?
If we are then anything by Zu.
Keith

steve59

Major Contributor
@steve59 First, I would like to thank you for your very transparent, blunt, and honest opinions. They have been very helpful for me and I want to make sure you don’t think I am picking on you, certainly not the case at all, only trying to genuinely understand your opinions and preferences as it relates to my crazy little journey here.

As to your comments on the Salon 2 in regards to soundstage and low bass issues, this is the exact opposite of my experience. One of the best soundstages I have ever heard from any loudspeaker, and low frequency response that often times causes me to look for the hidden subwoofers. Simply stunning. As you say about the Blades, I get completely transported and lost in the music with the Salons. All that to say, I am becoming increasingly suspicious you had either an electronics mismatch or room issue (or both) with the Salons and you sadly never heard them at their best.

But it doesn’t matter, you found your nirvana with the Blades, and that is a wonderful thing :)
I demoed the salon 2 in a home dealers living room that was well treated. The speakers were driven by the Mark Levenson 400 wpc monoblocks and totl pre/dac, I liked the speakers enough enough to buy them. At that time I was a little naïve thinking the hegel H360 that turned my salon 1's into rock stars would suffice for the salon 2, and to be fair I've had salon 2 owners reply to me saying their 100wpc components drive them full range to perfection. Since my H360 was still new and I wasn't comfortable dropping a truckload of money on the ML components it was more cost effective to replace the speakers. I've read suggestions that a solid bass line is critical to a great soundstage and while I don't have a diploma to validate that it would tie up my salon 2 problems in a pretty bow. I don't think I said anywhere the Blade was a better speaker than the salon 2, if so what I mean to say is the blades needed less power to deliver bass. Many here will tell us soundstage is unmeasurable thus completely subjective.

The Salon 2 reinforced to me the necessity of component matching as our speaker investment and expectations go up.

MarkS

Major Contributor
I assume you have heard them both? Can you please elaborate? Certainly the ribbon tweeter orientation has changed between the two. But with the change to horizontal in the V, plus the symmetric angling, I would rather expect the horizontal dispersion to increase with the V. But maybe I am not understanding the acoustics correctly (entirely possible)
I have not heard them. I heard the original Whisper, predecessor of the V, long ago at a show, and heard Bill Duddleson explaine the principles by which the design limited horizontal dispersion. The sideways ribbon and the paired horizontal midranges (which will have destructive interferene off axis) are the tip-off that the V is also designed by those principles.

Last edited:
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I have not heard them. I heard the original Whisper, predecessor of the V, long ago at a show, and heard Bill Duddleson explaine the principles by which the design limited horizontal dispersion. The sideways ribbon and the paired horizontal midranges (which will have destructive interferene off axis) are the tip-off that the V is also designed by those principles.
Thanks. Why would one design such a large loudspeaker to have narrow dispersion? Doesn’t make much sense to me.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
If you end up choosing the Aeris system, how would in-home setup work? I have seen in more than one review that Legacy sends professionals to your home to deal with placement and initial EQ. Is that true, and if so, would you have to provide transportation? Would the speakers cost a bit less if you forego that service? (It's funny, I am asking all of these questions as if I am in the market, whereas - budget considerations aside - my space would be a terrible match for these behemoths. My ideal "compromise" is the KEF LS60, and that is more within my reach...)
Indeed my understanding is dealer is supposed to install and setup the Aeris, which is included in the cost (I believe it is actually required by Legacy of their dealer network)

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
Indeed my understanding is dealer is supposed to install and setup the Aeris, which is included in the cost (I believe it is actually required by Legacy of their dealer network)
What about getting the speakers (and the installers!) to your house if you're not driving distance from the dealer?

benanders

Sorry, don’t mean to be a “tease” :p … Again I had essentially had my mind made up, and now I am truly torn. Very annoying. You are only 45min from a Legacy dealer? Wow, that would be nice! I have to get on a darn plane to go see mine. I would certainly be interested in your listening impressions of the Legacy Aeris (assuming your dealer has a pair on the floor)

Ha!

Yes, I get it - exactly why I’ve avoided DSP so far. Intended to start within a month after getting my most recent iteration up, and now here I am, approaching two years after that and no real motivation to start. Venturing into that world and new speakers might be a very deep rabbit hole.

Here’s an example: it was a DIY speaker project of considerable design, but much of the thread is premised on filter settings, software options, etc.
My point being, just count the thread’s pages and glance at the date of the first post. Must rank in the internet’s Top 10 of longest single-person-driven threads ever!

Anyway, I’m indeed about 45 min from a Legacy dealer. Actually about 30-45 min from most premier speaker brand dealers. Big city showroom density can be fun, but I don’t get around them much anymore, since nowadays the flip side of that fun would be intentionally wasting dealers’ time. ;)

Edit: DSP, not DPS (thone phumbs…)

Last edited:
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Ha!

Yes, I get it - exactly why I’ve avoided DPS so far. Intended to start within a month after getting my most recent iteration up, and now here I am, approaching two years after that and no real motivation to start. Venturing into that world and new speakers might be a very deep rabbit hole.

Here’s an example: it was a DIY speaker project of considerable design, but much of the thread is premised on filter settings, software options, etc.
My point being, just count the thread’s pages and glance at the date of the first post. Must rank in the internet’s Top 10 of longest single-person-driven threads ever!

Anyway, I’m indeed about 45 min from a Legacy dealer. Actually about 30-45 min from most premier speaker brand dealers. Big city showroom density can be fun, but I don’t get around them much anymore, since nowadays the flip side of that fun would be intentionally wasting dealers’ time. ;)
Ten year thread, wow! That is your DIY design?

hex168

Not mine. But absolutely an approach that inspired me to take the route I did (more a Mod-It-Yourself than strictly DIY).
That's one of the systems I'm considering as (one of my) retirement projects. I believe @mitchco heard it and was impressed, but could be mistaken.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Why would one design such a large loudspeaker to have narrow dispersion?
To enhance the ratio of direct to reflected sound. But I'm skeptical that the V's design would accomplish this is in a well controlled way.

Another point: you've expressed worry about Harman supporting the Salon 2, but I'd be at least as worried about Legacy. Duddleston founded that company 40 years ago, and it really still seems like a one-man show. If Bill retires (or fate takes a nasty turn), I'd expect the company to shut down, as VMPS did after Brian Cheney died.

benanders

Another point: you've expressed worry about Harman supporting the Salon 2, but I'd be at least as worried about Legacy. Duddleston founded that company 40 years ago, and it really still seems like a one-man show. If Bill retires (or fate takes a nasty turn), I'd expect the company to shut down, as VMPS did after Brian Cheney died.

That’s a strong point and valid concern. Here’s a short article on a sad, similar scenario (for educational purposes) :

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would buy the cheapest "good enough" I could find. Because the quest for the holy grail will never stop, there's always a new box (like Trinnov), a speaker that does a certain thing better, something more beautiful, some new thing that fixes all the problems you never knew you had etc ad infinitum.

A dipole speaker will give less energy far off-axis by design and will therefore give a higher direct to indirect sound ratio in a normally reflective environment. This will always sound different to a very wide dispersion design in such a scenario, likely experienced as more dynamic and clearer.

Correcting such a speaker like this with Trinnov will (in my experience and opinion) work better than correcting something like the Salon2 because you're correcting much more of the direct sound and less of the room sound.

In my mind I don't see how you can emulate the extremely wide and even dispersion of a Salon 2 in a room if needed because you can't work with something that's not there in the first place, but I do believe you can make the Salon 2 sound more like the Aeris by absorbing specific parts of the room.
I don't believe in magic and am of the opinion that dynamics is all about frequency response, direct/indirect sound ratio and lack of distortion of all kinds.

Considering the price difference I would have absolutely no problem deciding this conundrum in my own head. But I have no feelings attached because I've never heard either alternatives.

My suggestion is to either visit a few people with good systems and check if there's a trend in qualities you enjoy more than others that can help you decide between apples and oranges - or just stick to the budget. There's probably good reasons for the budget in the first place.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
To enhance the ratio of direct to reflected sound. But I'm skeptical that the V's design would accomplish this is in a well controlled way.

Ah, got it, makes sense. But why are you skeptical?

As to my support concerns, you make a valid point on Legacy and it being a “one man show”. But I suppose ultimately this could be an issue with any high end audio company. The difference with Revel is the Salon 2 is actually discontinued (or certainly will be very soon), the Aeris is an active design. Further, as Revel is now part of a behemoth corporation, you have to wonder how long Samsung will continue supporting what is to them very, very small potatoes. And I have heard some recent negative stories of Revel support. The Revel dealer I have been working with is outstanding, and he is one of the top Revel dealers in the country, has great relationship with Revel powers that be, and the top engineers there, and I am convinced he would support me to the end of the earth if I had any issues. But, his support to me is only as good as support he gets from Revel!

And this doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy either …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom