• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Guys some people bookshelf speakers plus subwoofers suck, accept it.
in a room two elegant towers are much better compared to two large black cubes and speakers on slender flamingo legs
I don’t like the midranges below my chest level. Also, r11 cannot produce lows like subs can. It’s a question of looks vs performance. I hate subs.

But I love listening to pipe organs more than I hate them.

Talisman

Forum Donor
I don’t like the midranges below my chest level. Also, r11 cannot produce lows like subs can. It’s a question of looks vs performance. I hate subs.

But I love listening to pipe organs more than I hate them.
I understand and approve of this, but some don't like bookshelf speakers, and some (eg me) towers that can play 30hz at -6db are just fine for the music I listen to.
Therefore it is useless to propose R3 +sub to all those who ask for R7/11

MingChops

Noticed the outgoing range are all given a distortion figure that is <0.3% from 120hz to 20khz. Yet the new range are <0.5% for basically the same freq range.

Combine this with the fact every speaker (despite being the same physical measurements) across the board is now lighter by 1-3kg... I wonder if the build/cab construction might have maybe dropped a bit in quality? (The cynical side of me thinks perhaps to create a bigger delta in performance and build to the Ref series).

Because you would have thought all things being equal with respect to the cab and build, that adding MAT to the UniQ (the single largest change) would have reduced distortion, not added to it. So whilst we potentially gain a little treble refinement with MAT here, are we potentially also losing some refinement in other places from a lesser cabinet colouring the sound :\

re: the R7 vs R3 + subs debate. I'm sure everyone on this forum knows all to well how bass response is intrinsically linked to the position of the speakers relative to the listening position, for any given room. So it's not apples vs apples per se to compare quite fundamentally different configurations, but of course a significant benefit to having subs is decoupling the critical bass response away from the speakers. You can then place the main speakers to best optimise their position in the room for mids/treble, and then position the subs for best bass response, as the 2 are often mutually exclusive.

To relate that point to my use case, I use R5's which measure <30hz in-room and provide more than adequate bass levels in output terms. But I now use them with a pair for subs (1723 1S), plugging up the R5 ports to roll off the bass early and run the subs as a stereo pair with a 100hz crossover (plus PEQ on sub). This by far the best overall response in my space. Note I don't have bass management in my 2ch setup hence plugging the ports, it works well enough esp given PEQ onboard the subs (I'm sure adding in Dirac for example at the source would be only better again).
So whether one picks R5's, R7's, or even R11's - it has been my personal experience that dual subs will yield better results in almost any given room - because it's not just about output.

dogmamann

The R11 has more surface area than 12-inch subs.
As per audio magazine/stereoplay it goes down to 35hz at -6db. Still cannot go low like SVS sb1000.-3db is usable. -6db is hardly audible. Again, midrange is below earlevel.

Nootmuskaatje

Would one be able to buy two uniq drivers and crossovers and change existing speakers to these? Seems like that's the only chsnged part, dimensions etc seem to be the same.

dogmamann

Would one be able to buy two uniq drivers and crossovers and change existing speakers to these? Seems like that's the only chsnged part, dimensions etc seem to be the same.
Weight is different, different damping material arrangement ? Different thickness of the cabin material? Anyway more weight in the same design won’t hurt! So like you said upgrading old one is a possibility!

lossendae

Checked the weights, new ones are lighter signaling something is different inside
I think it may be due to the use of metamaterial. In the video they explain that it's their new way of controlling frequencies compared to more traditional approach

KuroMuro

Maybe the extra weight to the cabinet isn't needed anymore since they can use the Meta Material for this now.

dogmamann

I think it may be due to the use of metamaterial. In the video they explain that it's their new way of controlling frequencies compared to more traditional approach
For anything is worth, meta material is attached to the back of the midrange unit, (which should add it’s own few grams)even with that, the drivers weight alone won’t be less than 2kgs less like in the case of r7 meta!

Again, the midrange sits in it’s on compartment. The midrange still is damped with traditional materials if am not wrong. Meta is only for tweeter

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Well i have no idea but.. these series are lighter o_O
Well the new series are considerably higher in cost with downgrades specs… (weight or wood) with no much innovation in woofers, at this price these should extend a lot more than -3dB 44hz

Last edited:

dogmamann

Well i have no idea but.. these series are lighter o_O
Well the new series are considerably higher in cost with downgrades specs… (weight or wood) with no much innovation in woofers, at this price these should extend a lot more than -3dB 44hz
Yes, r7 is superior than the new r7 meta, if weight is one of the deciding factors when it comes to buying speakers.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just received this from KEF,
Revolutionary sound absorption with MAT™
At the heart of the latest R Series is Metamaterial Absorption Technology (MAT), a highly complex maze-like structure where each of the intricate channels efficiently absorbs a specific frequency. When combined, the channels act as an acoustic black hole, absorbing 99% of the unwanted sound from the rear of the tweeter, eliminating the resulting distortion and providing a purer, more natural acoustic performance.

A bespoke 12th-generation Uni-Q driver array with MAT is found in all seven models of the R Series and delivers an incredibly detailed performance. It's the result of decades of accumulated in-house knowledge and all developments play a part in R Series' exceptional performance.

Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
‘Deceptively simple and elegant loudspeakers
The understated design aesthetic of the R Series is complemented by carefully selected colour options. Conceived to be at home in either traditional or modern interiors, each model in the R Series comes in a choice of three finishes: Black Gloss, White Gloss, and Walnut.

Two models also have their own signature finish options: the Titanium Gloss Special Edition for R7 Meta, and the Indigo Gloss Special Edition for R3 Meta*. The R3 Meta also features threaded inserts that allow the speaker to be mounted securely onto the top of the KEF S3 Floor Stands, which also boast integrated cable management and a mass-loadable column.’
Keith

tecnogadget

Today is the day when I await the apologies :cool: of those incredulous who insinuated that I had photoshopped the scoop images that I so lovingly shared, 7 days before it was made public and without any other record at the time in specialized media, forums or Google searches.

Even for me it was surprising the time difference between the private and public presentation. In my mind I thought that that same night or the next day we were going to see them published on KEF's website.

Top Bottom