• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
KEF cheeky buggers - speakers are online now
No rounded front.

R7 meta
HARMONIC DISTORTION (90dB, 1m)
<1% 76 Hz and above
<0.5% 110 Hz - 20 kHz

R11
<1% 33 Hz and above
<0.5% 80 Hz - 20 kHz

R3
<1% 73 Hz and above
<0.5% 90 Hz - 20 kHz

R6 Meta
FREQUENCY RESPONSE (±3dB)
65 Hz - 28 kHz
<1% 65 Hz and above
<0.5% 93 Hz - 20 kHz

R2 Meta
FREQUENCY RESPONSE (±3dB)
67 Hz - 28 kHz
<1% 84 Hz and above
<0.5% 95 Hz - 20 kHz
Thanks.
Strange. The values for R7 meta and R3 meta seem switched. Or would anyone have a good explanation why the R3 would go deeper than the R7?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I miss the nice white papers they used to publish with the new tech details, before and after measurements, and spins.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
you're looking at the distortion, not the frequency response.
I know that, but why would a larger speaker with more woofers have the same (0.5%) distortion at a higher frequency?

The R11 goes to 80Hz (0.5%) as I would have expected as it is an even bigger box with even more woofers. (All at the same 90dB SPL)

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
R3
<1% 73 Hz and above
<0.5% 90 Hz - 20 kHz

R7 meta
<1% 76 Hz and above
<0.5% 110 Hz - 20 kHz

What am I not seeing here then? (genuinely asking).
Those are distortion figures, meaning r3 somehow maintains low distortion than r7 even at Lower frequencies. But looks like it’s swapped. Even with that, r7 is the speaker which makes the least sense of the group. But in real life presentation can be totally different as one has midranges below earlevel and the other has above it. Measurements if m not wrong are made on midrange exis.

dogmamann

I know that, but why would a larger speaker with more woofers have the same (0.5%) distortion at a higher frequency?

The R11 goes to 80Hz (0.5%) as I would have expected as it is an even bigger box with even more woofers. (All at the same 90dB SPL)
R11s 1 percent distortion between 33 to 80 is insane! None of the speakers in market has that level of low distortion at those frequencies. But since the older one also has the same woofers, it should be the same.

if any distortion on woofers is better, it may be due to the fact that the crossover points are now lower meaning the uniq is handling a little more bass than last version, resulting in more headroom for the woofers.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Did you? because you said the R3 extended lower than the R7 when that was not the case.
Yes. I was imprecise but I referred (quoted) the values which were posted further up and those clearly show not FR so I thought it was clear. But apparently it was not.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Those are distortion figures, meaning r3 somehow maintains low distortion than r7 even at Lower frequencies. But looks like it’s swapped. Even with that, r7 is the speaker which makes the least sense of the group. But in real life presentation can be totally different as one has midranges below earlevel and the other has above it. Measurements if m not wrong are made on midrange exis.
Exactly. They look swapped or switched as I pointed out above. Question is, are they or is there a different explanation?

Daka

R11s 1 percent distortion between 33 to 80 is insane! None of the speakers in market has that level of low distortion at those frequencies. But since the older one also has the same woofers, it should be the same.

if any distortion on woofers is better, it may be due to the fact that the crossover points are now lower meaning the uniq is handling a little more bass than last version, resulting in more headroom for the woofers.
Maybe something to do with distortion coming out of ports. R7 has two and R3 one.

dogmamann

that 2-3khz bump is still there signing people who felt the old one bright, would find this one bright too. And people who thought they could upgrade the driver and be done with it, nope it won’t work. Crossover freq is now now different from woofer to midrange and midrange to tweeter.
on another note, it’s still easy than what I thought!

The midrange, we need the new ones
Both crossovers we need the new ones.

The cabins and woofers are same. Even if it costs 500 bucks, still picking up a current r 11 for 3000 euros is way cheaper than getting the new ones for 6500. But we lose the kefs warranty. ;);););)

Another way is buy a new r3 meta, and older r11 swap the needed components between this and r11, keep the non metas as rear. Still profit ;)

Edit: seems like cabin is also different, ignore this post .

Checked the weights, new ones are lighter signaling something is different inside

Last edited:

Robovox

Forum Donor
Just got an email from Sevenoaks Sound & Vision (big UK retailer) UK prices as follows, un-discounted prices for the previous range in brackets:

R3 Meta: £1,900 (£1300)
R5 Meta: £3,000 (£2000)
R7 Meta: £4,000 (£2600)
R11 Meta: £ 5,500 (£4000)

Daka

I do wonder whether to gram older R7 for 25% cheaper than new R3 Meta…
What do you guys think

Talisman

Forum Donor
That’s a question that you must ask yourselves.

R3 + Dual subs
Guys some people bookshelf speakers plus subwoofers suck, accept it.
in a room two elegant towers are much better compared to two large black cubes and speakers on slender flamingo legs

Top Bottom