• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

pma

Major Contributor
Right? I mean these sorts of people can hear the effects of cable lifters. Easily. My ears just can't compete.
That's nothing. I can give you examples what people were able to "hear" when I spoke with them during audiophile meetings:

- change of power fuse for the type from another manufacturer
- reversing (mechanical) the fuse in the fuse holder
- change of mains plug on the power cord
- change of wire that interconnects binding posts on the rear panel of the speaker box (bi-wiring binding posts)
- change of 3-gang plug socket for another type
- change of the home wall installation wires

The same people, however were often unable to detect:
- phase reversal for 1 of 2 stereo speakers
- switching off the tweeter driver in the 3-way speaker during playing music
- monophonic sound

I have to admit I was doing these changes intentionally to see how some of the golden ears are able to discern huge sound changes. They were probably rather "micro-changes" oriented :D.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's nothing. I can give you examples what people were able to "hear" when I spoke with them during audiophile meetings:

- change of wire that interconnects binding posts on the rear panel of the speaker box (bi-wiring binding posts)

- monophonic sound

I have to admit I was doing these changes intentionally to see how some of the golden ears are able to discern huge sound changes. They were probably rather "micro-changes" oriented :D.
This is very telling of how humans actually work :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is very telling of how humans actually work :)
Yers. Tell them the phase reversal is an audiophile secret involving negative frequencies, and suddenly every single one will hear it plainly :facepalm:

Thorsten Loesch

Germany, now South East Asia (not China or SAR's)
I didn't come to this site convinced everything sounded different and was indoctrinated. I have always found nothing of the differences that seemed obvious to many. So much so that I had convinced myself that I had very poor ears. This site just made me think that perhaps I'm simply less sensitive to self-induced suggestion than many (and maybe I also have poor ears).

There are many factors at play.

Hearing itself and certainly reaction to music and recorded and played back music are learned.

What we prioritise in Sound is also a personal thing.

I have friends that totally appreciate the sound quality of my gear but are happy to listen to their favourite music on the crummiest and crappiest possible gear (below lo-fi, possibly below no-fi if possible). This is one of the reasons why "quality audio" is a minority concern. Education of such individuals to listen differently is possible of course. All of my WAG's turned into - not audiophiles, but individuals more concerned about sound quality after spending a lot of time with me and with a higher end sound system.

Hearing in music, what we focus on also differs.

For example, for me English is a third language mainly acquired after I was already an adult. So I often have issues with spoken english (or more precisely sung english). I also happen to be a quite lyrics focused listener when it comes to music (not that I don't get instrumental only music).

This leads me to prioritise "clarity" and "low room reverb" in my system setups, it helps intelligibility. An mild upper midrange boost that also can help is a no-no for me, as I am quite sensitive in this region and at high frequencies. When I was younger and FM Stereo was a thing the pilot tone residue used to drive me crazy, unitil I retrofitted a pilot tone filter to my Tuner. I also like a "full but tight" bass, not basshead levels. So my systems tends to also have a "darker" tonal balance and more "colour saturation", which of course impairs subjective clarity.

So I am listening in certain ways.

If I focus on where my perception is weakest and where I am most offended by flaws. If I do a test, I use music that challenging and that I know. A recording that has strong sibilants without being harsh easily flips to harshness and excessive sibilants. I also react strongly to bass / drums phrasing and emphasis.

Funnily, one of my litmus test recordings for systems is The Dhol Foundation "Drummers Reel". I often went to Southall Gurdwara and experienced this kind of music live, direct and unamplified. It is loud, rauchous, at the edge of becoming uncomfortable, but just at the edge. The recording can sound the same way. On most systems it does not. And speakers/room are not the sole factors.

I'm not interested in defending one thesis or the other, I'm only interested in knowing what I can really hear and what not.

There are a number of websites where you can listen for example to level differences or distortion blind and see what you can hear. It can be eyeopening.

There is no truth that makes me more comfortable than the other, I don't sell audio products.

Neither do I. I used to design them, but I don't sell them (there is a difference).

just hearing a difference with my own ears can change my mind. There were tons of tests on this site that I could run (not just ABX which you hate) that let me find out what I can and can't hear. For me it was rehearsal, without much narrative behind it. Trivial tests to perform.

First, ignorance is bliss. Perhaps best you do not try starting to "hear things". Enjoy the blissful state that everything sounds the same to you and buy the cheapest gear.

If it works for you that last thing I'd want to do is infect you with audiophilia nervosa.

Do you have a serious test to propose to me to make me hear that there are actually differences that I can hear between two medium-level DACs? all my tests carried out told me the opposite.

The first question, do we have reason to expect the " two medium-level DAC's" should sound different?

Say we are (for arguments sake) comparing a bunch of Dongles using ESS "System on Chip" combo's that integrate everything on one chip and feed the headphone directly from the Chip and are all manufacturers datasheet circuits in different boxes, should we expect to hear differences, unless one item is obviously defective (may be design)?

And yes I am aware that in the subjective audio space there are massive meta threads doing such comparisons and hearing differences. Well, I do not hear them.

So if there no reason whatsoever to expect a difference, should we test to her one anyway?

To me all the various (different objective performance) ESS chip's sound the same and anything I head that was made with them also sounded the same.

Now next question, can you demonstrate in other tests that use known general audible fidelity impairments that you have the ability to distinguish them from the unimpaired case?

Third question, if we are using AABX (Audio ABX per Clark/Krueger/Nousaine et al) testing, can you having demonstrated suitable hearing acuity using other tests overcome the "shell game" aspect of the Test? If not using AABX but a sensible protocol (many are documented) proceed to the actual test, phase one (usually familiarisation and listener training).

Fourth question, if using AABX and you passed three, can you still perform after having beein intentionally been biased towards the outcome of the test, that is rather "let's see what I can hear" (e.g. level differences) you are being told you are switching between the same cables one set on ebony woof cable lifters and the other on ceramic cable lifters while in fact you are presented with a test you previously passed, without being intentionally biased, can you still hear the previously reliably detected difference? If so proceed to the actual test, phase one (usually familiarisation and listener training).

Note, I have not given you any specific test, what I have given you is the protocol to figure out if you should actually bother with further testing.

Once you have done these and I actually STRONGLY RECOMMEND you do 3 & 4 which validate if an AABX test can work for you at all or not, you will have a much better idea how to approach listening test.

I often actually wonder how many of those who mention AABX testing especially have ever done these steps.

Or at least spend weekends in a listening room at HiFi Mag's listening room doing 8 hours paid blind listening as "expert listener"

Or modified a product that they felt sounded different and better than stock and, while sitting in a SIGHTED group listening test against the same unit stock, finding they cannot hear ANY difference, but then find that everyone clearly heard differences and described them without prompting in a similar language and ask for details of what was done?

I find that have smoke you either have fire or a smoke machine. I encountered a lot of smoke. Personally. Just saying.

Thor

Thorsten Loesch

Germany, now South East Asia (not China or SAR's)

That is indeed twilight zone level.

All possible to make rather notable objectively measurable differences in a complete system. Are these audible? I call a gentle ~ 30dB background hum audible.

Do you mean changing from the often plated steel links to real wires? Or changing between wires?

Even that can be audible if the wires have sufficiently different resistance.

I love this one. I use this as one of my control test in blind listening. I have also deliberately used it before to expose how expectation Bias combined with AABX can return null results in the presence of this exact stimulus.

That will depend a LOT on the specific music.

- monophonic sound

The switch from Stereo to Mono should be very audible.

I have done testing with similar changes on AABX believers, biasing them first by telling them we were comparing cables and found they also could not her the difference under blind ABX conditions. When doing the same swap again after the reveal they could hear hear it as very obvious. The aftermath was often unpretty. The good pee-pull rarely like their biases and their utter gullibility exposed the way doing what we did does.

Here is a FUN FACT. Non of those I made unsuspecting subject of the actual real test changed their views nor did they acknowledge the implications of what had happened. They insisted I had tricked them and carried on as before. I no longer do that sort of thing. I am no longer young and foolish. Well, young anyway.

Thor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

- monophonic sound

And then there was green marker on the periphery of the CD, plugging a 'treated' clock into the mains somewhere, putting discs and crystals around the room, or just having a phone call with the immortal Geoff Kait.

When I was auditioning speakers, the salesman trying to convince me of the huge differences between amps didn't notice he'd reversed the channels.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Sometimes people are just wrong. And damn certain of what they are wrong about. We have a jump in these this month. They clearly appear to come here to dispute the wrong things they believe, and to cause friction because they don't agree. Now maybe there are mistakes about who is wanting to debate in good faith and who is just here to gum up the works. Some of these people are here on ASR to gum up the works.

So you get to a point where Brandolini's law comes into a effect and this is where someone just wishing to gum up the works or cause trouble can be effective if left to spew out bad information.

Brandolini’s law (also called the bullshit asymmetry principle), is the adage that “the amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it”. This denotes that it’s generally much easier to say something without concern for things such as the truth, evidence, or logic, than it is to prove that what was said is wrong.

You can read about it in depth here:

It is particularly disruptive when someone Gish Gallops as a way to stay ahead of any counter arguments or corrections. Something a couple people have definitely been doing this past week.

Similarly, it can be beneficial when it comes to understanding how to respond to large amounts of bullshit, as in the case of responding to a Gish gallop, which is a rhetorical technique that involves overwhelming your opponent with weak many arguments. Specifically, since Gish gallops tend to involve a lot of bullshit, Brandolini’s law can help you realize that rather than refuting every piece of bullshit that you encounter, it might be more effective to focus only on its key points, or on reminding the Gish galloper that they’re the ones with an initial burden of proof when it comes to supporting their argument.
Yep. Also my impression. And one can wonder if a noob would not previously read through some of the forum to see if that forum is something they would feel “at home”? Would I sign up to a flat earther forum? (No just to avoid misunderstandings ).

So I think those signing up and starting their first post with hair raising statements might have ulterior motives. Especially instead of making a statement one can also start out with a question, at least that might signal some genuine interest to just maybe learn something.

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
Much typical verbal diarrhea from the difference hearing clingers, long on anecdotal garbage. Diffusion and distraction short on documenting… much “could’ve” possibilities yet nothing actually supporting purported veil lifting.

Gets quite boring.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Much typical verbal diarrhea from the difference hearing clingers, long on anecdotal garbage. Diffusion and distraction short on documenting… much “could’ve” possibilities yet nothing actually supporting purported veil lifting.

Gets quite boring.
True. But someone keeps responding. And as long as they do, the unicorns and pixie dust will fly.

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
True. But someone keeps responding. And as long as they do, the unicorns and pixie dust will fly.
Thankfully for me at least the well stated and extremely patient responses of many here, (and occasionally) elsewhere over the years provide some grounding of the “known’s” that can clear the fog.

DSJR

Major Contributor

- monophonic sound

I was guilty of all the first lot - and more besides (one of the ways to 'fine tune' the 'sound' of a Linn LP12 vinyl spinner was to reverse the fuses in the power supply (having 'done' the mains plug in UK setups), turning the belt upside down and inside out (one side was a little more polished than the other when new at any rate) and also the godawful felt mat they still use one way or the other. I swore I could hear a difference - and then I heard a turntable better (closer to master grade recordings), cheaper and needing none of this 'stuff.' That , plus other experiences led me on a long journey out of audio nervosa. Being a particular kind of dealership in the 80's with the products we sold (actually, peeps came in asking for them really - little 'selling' involved), fancy mains distribution, separately wired mains spurs/rings, cleaning pins of Crabtree or MK mains plugs, making sure the fig 8 mains plugs were 'the right way round' and so on (putting the positive mains feed in line with internal fuses and so on).

As for the second lot, reversing phase of one speaker gives me distress and all-but pain, but some systems-in-rooms seem to reproduce 'absolute phase reversal' better than others. I'm very well aware what speakers sound like with everything over 3khz rolled off (my ears) or removed altogether and as for mono, many dem rooms are quite live in fairness and also, the music so often played is over-wide mono anyway :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thankfully for me at least the well stated and extremely patient responses of many here, (and occasionally) elsewhere over the years provide some grounding of the “known’s” that can clear the fog.
Yes, it's true. It's like a Socratic dialog with trolls as foils :D

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some may find this hard to believe, but I still have some hope we'll discover something new about audibility thresholds or audible differences. Sensitivity to IM distortion, an assertion that @atmasphere made about dynamics enhanced by transient distortion...that type of stuff. But I also find it frustrating that those espousing the differences (so far) simply WILL NOT subject their ideas to a transparent, public, controlled, experimental challenge. That raises a lot of suspicion.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some may find this hard to believe, but I still have some hope we'll discover something new about audibility thresholds or audible differences. Sensitivity to IM distortion, an assertion that @atmasphere made about dynamics enhanced by transient distortion...that type of stuff. But I also find it frustrating that those espousing the differences (so far) simply WILL NOT subject their ideas to a transparent, public, controlled, experimental challenge. That raises a lot of suspicion.
It's obviously fun to come here and pull chains.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And one can wonder if a noob would not previously read through some of the forum to see if that forum is something they would feel “at home”?
One of my other theories about audiophiles is that a lot of us look at forums to rationalize, post-hoc, the purchases we made, as opposed to research a new purchase decision. So they see us talking about equipment and either want to get in on the good feels or are outraged that their decision might have been less than logical.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ran across this old and great example of "the test must be wrong":

But when you have taken part in a number of these blind tests and experienced how two amplifiers you know from personal experience to sound extremely different can still fail to be identified under blind conditions, then perhaps an alternative hypothesis is called for: that the very procedure of a blind listening test can conceal small but real subjective differences. Having taken part in quite a number of such blind tests, I have become convinced of the truth in this hypothesis. Over 10 years ago, for example, I failed to distinguish a Quad 405 from a Naim NAP250 or a TVA tube amplifier in such a blind test organized by Martin Colloms (footnote 2). Convinced by these results of the validity in the Consumer Reports philosophy, I consequently sold my exotic and expensive Lecson power amplifier with which I had been very happy and bought a much cheaper Quad 405—the biggest mistake of my audiophile career!

Some amplifiers which cannot be distinguished reliably under formal blind conditions do not sound similar over lengthy listening in more familiar and relaxed circumstances.

Who you gonna believe, me or your lyin' ears?!?!

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This was always one of my favorite "tweaks". It's Nano and graphene so obviously it's doing something. I don't think they make this stuff anymore but people were coating the inside of their electric service panels with it.

DonR

Major Contributor
This was always one of my favorite "tweaks". It's Nano and graphene so obviously it's doing something. I don't think they make this stuff anymore but people were coating the inside of their electric service panels with it.

and always with the break-in period.

Aleksandar RS

It seems that some of you are having a hard time accepting the idea that not all DACs sound the same, and that measurement results are not all we need. I agree that measurements are important to verify that the DAC meets some basic values that must be met, especially if you are shopping online. If you can't hear what it sounds like in your system, then the measurements are your only benchmark (besides looks). This is where the importance of measurement ends. From that point, the subjective perception of sound quality takes over. I know that it cannot be put on paper or measured, but it is true. The place on the SINAD list certainly does not determine the sound quality. After all, if all DACs have the same sound, I don't see the purpose of that list. It is enough just to say whether he met the basic criteria or not.

Regarding the insane prices for some components, whose prices (we all agree) do not justify the sound quality, we move on to another area. Some manufacturers consider that they have created a piece of art that also plays (Nagra Reference Anniversary Turntable with a price of around $170,000. The version is limited, seventy units). Now it's a different story and a different scale of evaluation. But if you install top-quality components and top-quality analog circuits (discrete circuit), power supplies, PCB layout, passive parts, which affect the sound (in your opinion, probably not), then the price must go up, of course within reasonable limits.

If, for example, you compare with a car. Let's take Mercedes and Dacia, or some Chinese cars of the same specifications (cm3, kW, Nm), with the same tire. Do you think the enjoyment of driving a Mercedes and those other cars will be the same. You are mistaken. But what are we going to do now, where should we attach our trusty measuring instrument to measure the enjoyment of driving. Let's face it, both cars will take you from place A to place B, but they are not the same. The last thing I wrote is a deliberate exaggeration, a caricature of your position. I am sorry for that. Something like when you post some "funny" videos.

Can you tell, after all, if all DACs have the same sound, which is the purpose of SINAD list. It is enough just to say whether DAC met the basic criteria or not. Because my right to replay has been democratically revoked, I probably won't answer, whatever you write. So, get all your frustrations out (as expected first HarmonicTHD, that's just the type of person he is), I can't help you with an answer, but it would be nice if you could write an answer to the question about the SINAD list.

Last edited:

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems that some of you are having a hard time accepting the idea that not all DACs sound the same, and that measurement results are not all we need. I agree that measurements are important to verify that the DAC meets some basic values that must be met, especially if you are shopping online. If you can't hear what it sounds like in your system, then the measurements are your only benchmark (besides looks). This is where the importance of measurement ends. From that point, the subjective perception of sound quality takes over. I know that it cannot be put on paper or measured, but it is true. The place on the SINAD list certainly does not determine the sound quality. After all, if all DACs have the same sound, I don't see the purpose of that list. It is enough just to say whether he met the basic criteria or not.

Regarding the insane prices for some components, whose prices (we all agree) do not justify the sound quality, we move on to another area. Some manufacturers consider that they have created a piece of art that also plays (Nagra Reference Anniversary Turntable with a price of around $170,000. The version is limited, seventy units). Now it's a different story and a different scale of evaluation. But if you install top-quality components and top-quality analog circuits (discrete circuit), power supplies, PCB layout, passive parts, which affect the sound (in your opinion, probably not), then the price must go up, of course within reasonable limits.

If, for example, you compare with a car. Let's take Mercedes and Dacia, or some Chinese cars of the same specifications (cm3, kW, Nm), with the same tire. Do you think the enjoyment of driving a Mercedes and those other cars will be the same. You are mistaken. But what are we going to do now, where should we attach our trusty measuring instrument to measure the enjoyment of driving. Let's face it, both cars will take you from place A to place B, but they are not the same.
You do know we can measure those differences between cars, right? It’s not something mysterious. We can even quantify the amount of pleasure a population gets from driving them. What measurement (and yes it is up to you to do this if you are going to claim audible differences) do you propose that would distinguish two DACS?

Top Bottom