• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

replacing Receivers for old farts

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am totally confused with the many options available for home stereo receivers. more so because of my age. I am 74 and come from
the "Old days" when playing music through my record (Phono) player. or Cassete Tape player. Usually powered by Sony, JVC, or one of my favorites Akai.
I am in the process of pushing wet noodles uphill trying to find a stereo receiver that will fill the need for a CD player and FM stations. preferably with a sub-woofer port.
(I like the sound presence that sub-woofers give) but if I have to do without, ok.
I have some good speakers custom built for me. I would like to pay well under $500 for something that is reasonable to my needs at home.
I do not need a "Home theatre System" I am happy with a couple of active speakers i presently use for my TV's.
I just want to play my Led Zep, Van Morrison, and yes, Queen, jeff beck, joe cocker (R.I.P.) CD's. I would appreciate any ideas members might have. I might add
I am not the only one. Many friends are in the same boat and although we laugh about it. it's no joke when we are looking to purchase replacements for our old receivers.
I'm not sure if it was mentioned but what are the speakers (custom doesn't mean much) and subwoofer? There are a small number of units available that just do 2.1 with bass management, I'm just not sure if that is a priority for you?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I feel the FM radio requirement is particularly holding you back.

Perhaps look for a modern (digital) alternative? I don’t listen to radio a lot but if I would I’d have at least two non-FM options at the moment, possibly more if I think a bit longer.

This may be the case for you too and if so would give you a lot more options.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Radio ✓
CD player ✓
Bluetooth ✓
Wifi Streaming ✓
Subwoofer Out ✓

Oh sure it will not impress with the SINAD score, but it's a convenient, all-in-one, receiver for us geezers.

There's also a Yamaha

And - if you have the dosh theres the Omnia

Last edited:

middlemarch

Forum Donor
If you don't wish to get into streaming, and FM radio is important to you (seems like it is) and you live in an area where you have a good selection of FM stations, might I suggest adding a Sony XDR-F1HD purchased for not much (<$100) off ebay to whatever you end up with. FM performance on most recent (last 20 years or more) receivers is more or less an afterthought. The little Sony provides superb FM performance and more importantly, HD, which for most purposes is indistinguishable from streaming or CD (in my humble opinion).

I've used one for years connected to an old Yamaha receiver, which has dismal FM performance but is great otherwise. Makes a huge difference. All depends on your FM environment of course, and it's "one more thing", but it fixes the one major flaw in most modern receivers, which is that they suck at "receiving".

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@weesocks Honestly, don't even think of an AVR (used or new).

The tuners in AVRs are absolute garbage and that is a primary interest to you. Compared to even a budget 1970s receiver's AM/FM front end, they lack performance in every crucial aspect involving decent radio reception.

If it were me, I'd track down one of the last actual high quality, 2channel receivers built by Sony. The STR-GX9ES. About 32 years old, but will completely blow the doors off any AVR you can name for the purposes you have in mind. And it will be well below your budget. Full remote, tons of power, every feature you need and as solid as a rock.

1673041520548.png

1673041555827.png

Take your time, find a mint condition unit and enjoy. :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The tuners in AVRs are absolute garbage and that is a primary interest to you. Compared to even a budget 1970s receiver's AM/FM front end, they lact performance in every crucial aspect involving decent radio reception.

If it were me, I'd track down one of the last actual high quality, 2channel receivers built by Sony. The STR-GX9ES. About 32 years old, but will completely blow the doors off any AVR you can name for the purposes you have in mind. And it will be well below your budget. Full remote, tons of power, every feature you need and as solid as a rock.

View attachment 255447

View attachment 255448

Was curious so looked at ebay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=sony+STR-GX9ES&_sacat=0

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

In the US, you should be able to find them for way less than half that, but they are somewhat rare now. Basically, it was the last 2 channel receiver of the first full Sony ES line just prior to the Japanese stock market crash and by 1990, 2 channel was finished with everything surround from that point on.

It's a sweet spot of value. Tons of power, an excellent tuner, full remote, basically the front end of the TAE77es preamp strapped to a TAF333/222esr power stage, with trickle down tuner parts from the SSG333es and its cheaper brethren. An no silly surround crap. :)

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Like so many good things it appears that unit has been "discovered". Still may be of benefit to keep an eye out. Checking the bay for the XDR-F1HD shows them going for well north of the number I suggested as well. All the same, per our old friend Peter Aczel and others the xdr outperforms that receiver as well by a comfortable margin. However, FM isn't exactly a growth technology these days...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the US, you should be able to find them for way less than half that, but they are somewhat rare now. Basically, it was the last 2 channel receiver of the first full Sony ES line just prior to the Japanese stock market crash and by 1990, 2 channel was finished with everything surround from that point on.

It's a sweet spot of value. Tons of power, an excellent tuner, full remote, basically the front end of the TAE77es preamp strapped to a TAF333/222esr power stage, with trickle down tuner parts from the SSG333es and its cheaper brethren. An no silly surround crap. :)

I only checked ebay. But all the old 2ch stuff is going for higher prices than are often reasonable. I see a GX10ES sold for $461 in October. No sold listings for the GX9ES.....

If OP waits long enough and looks hard enough....maybe.

OP
W

weesocks

I'm not sure if it was mentioned but what are the speakers (custom doesn't mean much) and subwoofer? There are a small number of units available that just do 2.1 with bass management, I'm just not sure if that is a priority for you?
speakers are the least of my priority. as I said I have a nephew that does speakers custom made and assembly for Bands, and clubs.
However, I do believe the subwoofer that I would be using for this is 2.1.

OP
W

weesocks

Radio ✓
CD player ✓
Bluetooth ✓
Wifi Streaming ✓
Subwoofer Out ✓

Oh sure it will not impress with the SINAD score, but it's a convenient, all-in-one, receiver for us geezers.

There's also a Yamaha

thanks. jeez now am getting to be an old fart. never heard of music cast.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your suggestion. I appreciate it but have to admit not being a techie, my eyes glaze over just with the
word "Decoding".
I’m an old fart. Modern audio is quite simple.

#1 forget anything you think you know
#2 ditch your old stuff
#3 is a question. Do you have a smart phone or tablet?

If no. I won’t continue.

If yes.

#1 buy a Wiim pro or mini
#2 buy some active speakers. The best you can afford.
#3 get a music subscription.

Done. No fuss, no mess, just music from your chair.

Add a sub if you want, it’ll make music a bit more fun.

OP
W

weesocks

If you don't wish to get into streaming, and FM radio is important to you (seems like it is) and you live in an area where you have a good selection of FM stations, might I suggest adding a Sony XDR-F1HD purchased for not much (<$100) off ebay to whatever you end up with. FM performance on most recent (last 20 years or more) receivers is more or less an afterthought. The little Sony provides superb FM performance and more importantly, HD, which for most purposes is indistinguishable from streaming or CD (in my humble opinion).

I've used one for years connected to an old Yamaha receiver, which has dismal FM performance but is great otherwise. Makes a huge difference. All depends on your FM environment of course, and it's "one more thing", but it fixes the one major flaw in most modern receivers, which is that they suck at "receiving".
I do stream actually, I am presently in South America and every day I stream radio. My residence is in Toronto and I get a great FM reception. my sony was really fine
for FM. Radio and the reception in T.O. is excellent. I just want to keep it simple for this particular room i have. CD's and Radio through a great set of speakers
with the option of a sub-woofer access. I really appreciate the response on here. very very helpful and now I am up for sharing with some of my pals in the same boat.[

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
speakers are the least of my priority. as I said I have a nephew that does speakers custom made and assembly for Bands, and clubs.
However, I do believe the subwoofer that I would be using for this is 2.1.
I’m sure they are great for clubs but not your home. Studio monitors can be used at home.

OP
W

weesocks

I’m an old fart. Modern audio is quite simple.

#1 forget anything you think you know
#2 ditch your old stuff
#3 is a question. Do you have a smart phone or tablet?

If no. I won’t continue.

If yes.

#1 buy a Wiim pro or mini
#2 buy some active speakers. The best you can afford.
#3 get a music subscription.

Done. No fuss, no mess, just music from your chair.

Add a sub if you want, it’ll make music a bit more fun.
number one. my memory is going anyway! 2)my old stuff is ditching me. (Not the speakers)and number 3, yes I have all that and sometimes can even
work it.
thanks. I am looking for a receiver replacement. never heard of WIIM pro but will check it out thanks.

OP
W

weesocks

The tuners in AVRs are absolute garbage and that is a primary interest to you. Compared to even a budget 1970s receiver's AM/FM front end, they lack performance in every crucial aspect involving decent radio reception.

View attachment 255447

View attachment 255448

thanks. I am a big Sony fan. I even bought the first walkman the week it came out!! anyway, I am replacing a Sony that I had for years, and years.
just not sure with all the Tech going on what to buy.

OP
W

weesocks

I’m sure they are great for clubs but not your home. Studio monitors can be used at home.
well, my nephew does know the difference! he has been great in helping me out with speakers. and I do have Studio Monitors as such
regarding quality. it's aa receiver I am looking for. thx.

JSmith

Master Contributor
STR-GX9ES
Here's one, $350 but pickup only, so depends on where @weesocks is located if interested in same;

JSmith

OP
W

weesocks

Radio ✓
CD player ✓
Bluetooth ✓
Wifi Streaming ✓
Subwoofer Out ✓

There's also a Yamaha

OP
W

weesocks

Radio ✓
CD player ✓
Bluetooth ✓
Wifi Streaming ✓
Subwoofer Out ✓

There's also a Yamaha

I checked for the yamaha and it appears out of stock currently unavailable.

Top Bottom