• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

replacing Receivers for old farts

weesocks

I am totally confused with the many options available for home stereo receivers. more so because of my age. I am 74 and come from
the "Old days" when playing music through my record (Phono) player. or Cassete Tape player. Usually powered by Sony, JVC, or one of my favorites Akai.
I am in the process of pushing wet noodles uphill trying to find a stereo receiver that will fill the need for a CD player and FM stations. preferably with a sub-woofer port.
(I like the sound presence that sub-woofers give) but if I have to do without, ok.
I have some good speakers custom built for me. I would like to pay well under $500 for something that is reasonable to my needs at home.
I do not need a "Home theatre System" I am happy with a couple of active speakers i presently use for my TV's.
I just want to play my Led Zep, Van Morrison, and yes, Queen, jeff beck, joe cocker (R.I.P.) CD's. I would appreciate any ideas members might have. I might add
I am not the only one. Many friends are in the same boat and although we laugh about it. it's no joke when we are looking to purchase replacements for our old receivers.

jp4573

Could be this:
or this:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think OP does not want any network services???

I feel like good quality brand name stereo receivers w/ some kind of bass management but without network isnt so easy now given its a dead end to the manufacturers?

if it werent for the radio part i'd be going with a Yamaha 701 or something of that ilk

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
You can use an AVR (audio video receiver) for stereo and they all have a subwoofer output and bass management (to re-route the bass to the subwoofer). There are other ways to add a subwoofer but this is the easiest and usually the best way.

The subwoofer-output will be line-level so you need an active ("powered") subwoofer or a separate amplifier. Most home theater subwoofers are active.

You'll also get decoding of all the digital DVD & Blu-Ray formats. The digital inputs on a stereo receiver may not.

And since AVRs are sold in higher quantities, you may not have to pay more for the extra channels.

If you still want to play records a phono input might be more common on a stereo receiver. Most affordable AVRs don't seem to have them.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Would second hand be an option?

I own a Sony STR-DB940 myself that I’d highly recommend.

It’s a classic 5.1 receiver that works brilliantly in 2.1 mode. Has pre outs for your active speakers as well as sub out. Plus (digital) EQ for bass, mid and treble with variable frequency.

A breeze to set up too, just through its own display.

OP
W

weesocks

Would second hand be an option?

I own a Sony STR-DB940 myself that I’d highly recommend.

It’s a classic 5.1 receiver that works brilliantly in 2.1 mode. Has pre outs for your active speakers as well as sub out. Plus (digital) EQ for bass, mid and treble with variable frequency.

A breeze to set up too, just through its own display.
actually, second hand may be the only option for what seems a dying breed.
Thank you for your suggestion. I was looking at Sony strdh-190. and although I haven't checked someone suggested
Sony H590. The model that you have submitted will be next on my list.
I am an old Sony fan.

OP
W

weesocks

You can use an AVR (audio video receiver) for stereo and they all have a subwoofer output and bass management (to re-route the bass to the subwoofer). There are other ways to add a subwoofer but this is the easiest and usually the best way.

The subwoofer-output will be line-level so you need an active ("powered") subwoofer or a separate amplifier. Most home theater subwoofers are active.

You'll also get decoding of all the digital DVD & Blu-Ray formats. The digital inputs on a stereo receiver may not.

And since AVRs are sold in higher quantities, you may not have to pay more for the extra channels.

If you still want to play records a phono input might be more common on a stereo receiver. Most affordable AVRs don't seem to have them.
Thanks for your suggestion. I appreciate it but have to admit not being a techie, my eyes glaze over just with the
word "Decoding".

OP
W

weesocks

i think OP does not want any network services???

I feel like good quality brand name stereo receivers w/ some kind of bass management but without network isnt so easy now given its a dead end to the manufacturers?

if it werent for the radio part i'd be going with a Yamaha 701 or something of that ilk
Thanks, I do need the FM Radio and I am not really sure what you mean in reference to "Network Services".
My apologies for being a bit of a relic!

OP
W

weesocks

Could be this:
or this:
thanks. the 8220 is certainly in the right price range. I will check it out.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
If you're going to use a stereo+subwoofer system and you like the actives of your TV, you can do the same I set for my mother: KEF LS50/60+KS62 (small room)/KF92 (large room).

With its app, you can stream local FM stations (or international, that is your choice), I plugged her DVD for CD reproduction via optical cable and it is also hooked to the TV so she can listen to films with some decency.

The only issue is the price and the impossibility to upgrade to multichannel, but this last thing is not a concern for you, right?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're going to use a stereo+subwoofer system and you like the actives of your TV, you can do the same I set for my mother: KEF LS50/60+KS62 (small room)/KF92 (large room).

With its app, you can stream local FM stations (or international, that is your choice), I plugged her DVD for CD reproduction via optical cable and it is also hooked to the TV so she can listen to films with some decency.

The only issue is the price and the impossibility to upgrade to multichannel, but this last thing is not a concern for you, right?
Doesn't really fit the need for CD player and FM tuner though does it?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Doesn't really fit the need for CD player and FM tuner though does it?
The KEF app, at least where I live, gets you the local FM stations with ease. For CD, plug the player to the optical output and off it goes.

If OP wants to keep using his speakers, that's a different story. In that case, NAD has a tiny amp with phono and subwoofer jack that works quite well.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am totally confused with the many options available for home stereo receivers. more so because of my age. I am 74 and come from
the "Old days" when playing music through my record (Phono) player. or Cassete Tape player. Usually powered by Sony, JVC, or one of my favorites Akai.
I am in the process of pushing wet noodles uphill trying to find a stereo receiver that will fill the need for a CD player and FM stations. preferably with a sub-woofer port.
(I like the sound presence that sub-woofers give) but if I have to do without, ok.
I have some good speakers custom built for me. I would like to pay well under $500 for something that is reasonable to my needs at home.
I do not need a "Home theatre System" I am happy with a couple of active speakers i presently use for my TV's.
I just want to play my Led Zep, Van Morrison, and yes, Queen, jeff beck, joe cocker (R.I.P.) CD's. I would appreciate any ideas members might have. I might add
I am not the only one. Many friends are in the same boat and although we laugh about it. it's no joke when we are looking to purchase replacements for our old receivers

Cambridge Audio AXR85 seems to fit the bill

Or the AXR 100 if you need a little more power:

EDIT - also look at:

Last edited:

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Used market 5.1 AVR’s would fit this requirement well. I see them frequently available on local buy/sell networks under $100 CAD.

They typically have 20 or so FM presets, plus digital and analog inputs for any existing equipment you have. They will also have at least rudimentary equalization capability, which you might find useful.

Some do not include a phono preamplifier, so check that if you need it.

OP
W

weesocks

Thanks for the suggestion. I am fortunate in having some great speaker choices as I have a relative that does custom speaker assemblies
mainly for musicians and some clubs. if he doesn't have the time I can get speakers elsewhere from him at a discount.
Unfortunately this does not apply to Home power systems.
I am looking for a targeted solution to replace present stereo receiver for a CD stand alone player that i can also tune in to FM Radio.
That's it.
I really do thank you and everyone else for ideas and the pointers.

OP
W

weesocks

Used market 5.1 AVR’s would fit this requirement well. I see them frequently available on local buy/sell networks under $100 CAD.

They typically have 20 or so FM presets, plus digital and analog inputs for any existing equipment you have. They will also have at least rudimentary equalization capability, which you might find useful.

Some do not include a phono preamplifier, so check that if you need it.
thanks. yes I did check EBay and there are a lot of choices. I am just looking advice from the experts on here.

OP
W

weesocks

Cambridge Audio AXR85 seems to fit the bill

Or the AXR 100 if you need a little more power:

EDIT - also look at:
good choice thanks. I never thought of that brand. I am going to pursue my price options which
means shopping around considering taxes and shipping. The Cambridge frankly would put me above the ceiling of 500bucks.

Top Bottom