• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pros and cons of tweeters in the middle, BTM, in a three-way speaker?

DanielT

Major Contributor
I don't think I see such constructions very often, why? Weighing the cons (what are they?) against the pros (what could they be?) it leads to..what? If it is possible to generalize that is?

Here is an example of what I mean, BTM:
faital-3WC-10-present-1.jpg

(none I will build, just chosen to exemplify)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see it occasionally, when the tweeter centerline would otherwise be too high for the listeners' ears. Not many modern speakers are that tall, and it's a questionable plan otherwise. Ideally the tweeter height will be from maybe 32" - 40" (81cm - 101cm). In the example above, you'll want to either put them on stands or tilt them to aim the tweeter up where it belongs.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some madmen design a speaker so tall that the tweeter ends up there, but only complete wackos.

20150404_140943.jpg

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the same problem in miniature with the MTMs either side of my monitor. The top of the MTMs has to be higher than the top of the monitor* to get the tweeter to ear height and this takes little getting used to visually.

*the top of a monitor should be around eye height for ergonomic reasons

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I see it occasionally, when the tweeter centerline would otherwise be too high for the listeners' ears. Not many modern speakers are that tall, and it's a questionable plan otherwise. Ideally the tweeter height will be from maybe 32" - 40" (81cm - 101cm). In the example above, you'll want to either put them on stands or tilt them to aim the tweeter up where it belongs.
I buy that, purely for aesthetic reasons. Larger, or higher speakers than ... what is needed if the placement BTM does not provide any sound advantages compared to BMT.But if you ignore the purely aesthetic and concentrate solely on the sound itself, in that case?

Or for that matter take a smaller model of two-way speakers, you rarely see the tweeter placed at the bottom then. And then he it not so much to do with the size of the speaker. The only thing that is then needed is a slightly higher speaker stand.:)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I buy that, purely for aesthetic reasons. Larger, or higher speakers than ... what is needed if the placement BTM does not provide any sound advantages compared to BMT.But if you ignore the purely aesthetic and concentrate solely on the sound itself, in that case?

Or for that matter take a smaller model of two-way speakers, you rarely see the tweeter placed at the bottom then. And then he it not so much to do with the size of the speaker. The only thing that is then needed is a slightly higher speaker stand.:)
I'm guessing most people would prefer a shorter stand, given the choice.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, as @fpitas said mainly used in tall tower speakers where the tweeter would otherwise be too high, Magico M9 being quite an extreme example.
View attachment 240919
Can't think of any other reason to do it since the center-to-center distance from mid to woofer increases.
You can get more vertical directivity by separating bass and midrange drivers. Only other reason I can think of to do it.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
don't think I see such constructions very often, why? Weighing the cons (what are they?) against the pros (what could they be?) it leads to..what? If it is possible to generalize that is?
Technically, the only issue should be the height relative to the ear. The usually arrangement is probably mostly for aesthetics.

The tweeter should be close to the midrange (or the woofer in a 2-way) because of the wavelength. But let's assume the crossover between the woofer & midrange is 1kHz. That's a wavelength of about 1 foot so they don't have to be super-close together. And what's really critical is the distance-difference to your ears. If the distance from the different drivers to your ears is the same the soundwaves will arrive in-phase. At a half-wavelength they will be out-of-phase and cancel. And this is only critical around the crossover frequency where both drivers are putting-out about the same sound level.

I have some old Pioneer 5-ways and I haven't had the grills off recently but from what I remember the drivers are kind-of arranged "randomly". Probably so they can all fit on the baffle...

Some madmen design a speaker so tall that the tweeter ends up there, but only complete wackos.
:D The tweeter array in my wacko "speaker stack" is near the 8-foot ceiling in my living room (angled down). :D The Pioneer's are my rear speakers. "Floor Standards" hanging near the ceiling above my couch. The center speaker in this mis-matched setup not in the same league as the others.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The example you pictured, the Faital-3WC-10) from Troels Gravesen, has this explanation further down the page:

time-alignment-1200.png

The reason for having the midrange driver not flush-mounted and on top of the tweeter is to take advantage of the above alignment, assuming listening height on midrange on-axis. This way we can avoid a stepped baffle making an overall easier cabinet construction.

Faital-3WC-10-cabinet_stands_600.png

This reason would seem to be be common to quite a few loudspeaker systems, both 3-way and 2-way.

The crossover point between the woofer and the mid was said to be 400 Hz. That's about 33 inches long. :) Jim
Interesting. I use digital delay, so I'm spoiled. That scheme will certainly improve the time alignment, although it will be dependent on listener distance. I think.

Ricardojoa

I think a mid on top will give a different soundstage layering possibly taller than i a mid at the bottom.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
The example you pictured, the Faital-3WC-10) from Troels Gravesen, has this explanation further down the page:

time-alignment-1200.png

The reason for having the midrange driver not flush-mounted and on top of the tweeter is to take advantage of the above alignment, assuming listening height on midrange on-axis. This way we can avoid a stepped baffle making an overall easier cabinet construction.

Faital-3WC-10-cabinet_stands_600.png

This reason would seem to be be common to quite a few loudspeaker systems, both 3-way and 2-way.

The crossover point between the woofer and the mid was said to be 400 Hz. That's about 33 inches long. :) Jim

Interesting. I use digital delay, so I'm spoiled. That scheme will certainly improve the time alignment, although it will be dependent on listener distance. I think.
This is what Ken Kantor thinks about Time Alignment:

"Time Alignment" never really made into the mainstream canon of home loudspeaker design, even when it was being heavily researched and promoted for studio monitors and high end consumer. Certainly, it is not considered important by mainstream designers these days. First of all, there is no one correct position for the drivers, as phase and timing relationships are complex and depend on frequency and listener location. (Sometimes they even depend a bit on level.) Second, 2ms seems to be the absolute least group delay the human ear can detect in any way. This is using the most sensitive test signals, the best listening equipment, golden ears, etc. Most of the time, 10ms is about it, but 2ms under rare, ideal conditions. So, that's about 2 feet.

Alas, their probably is no hope for mathematically accurate signal playback, if such a concept can even be defined. But, there are other ways to think about accuracy, fortunately!

More on this:

You probably know who he is, but for others who are reading the thread and thinking, who is that Ken: :)

I think a mid on top will give a different soundstage layering possibly taller than i a mid at the bottom.
If and if so when it is, that's what I'm curious about.:)
Not that unusual Canton does this all the time
I googled, you are absolutely right::)
Screenshot_2022-11-03_163711.jpg

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Technically, the only issue should be the height relative to the ear. The usually arrangement is probably mostly for aesthetics.

The tweeter should be close to the midrange (or the woofer in a 2-way) because of the wavelength. But let's assume the crossover between the woofer & midrange is 1kHz. That's a wavelength of about 1 foot so they don't have to be super-close together. And what's really critical is the distance-difference to your ears. If the distance from the different drivers to your ears is the same the soundwaves will arrive in-phase. At a half-wavelength they will be out-of-phase and cancel. And this is only critical around the crossover frequency where both drivers are putting-out about the same sound level.

I have some old Pioneer 5-ways and I haven't had the grills off recently but from what I remember the drivers are kind-of arranged "randomly". Probably so they can all fit on the baffle...

:D The tweeter array in my wacko "speaker stack" is near the 8-foot ceiling in my living room (angled down). :D The Pioneer's are my rear speakers. "Floor Standards" hanging near the ceiling above my couch. The center speaker in this mis-matched setup not in the same league as the others.
In addition, this with c-c distance depends on the type of crossover. There is a lot to think about when designing speakers and getting different speaker elements to work together in a good way:

I have some old Pioneer 5-ways......The tweeter array in my wacko "speaker stack" is near the 8-foot ceiling in my living room..Pictures. It would be fun to see.:D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what Ken Kantor thinks about Time Alignment:
View attachment 240946

More on this:

You probably know who he is, but for others who are reading the thread and thinking, who is that Ken: :)

If and if so when it is, that's what I'm curious about.:)

I googled, you are absolutely right::)
View attachment 240947
I know Ken, having talked with him on other forums about break-in. I have to disagree with him somewhat, especially if time-alignment is low-hanging fruit because of digital delay. Of course, the vast majority of speakers are passive, and pure delay over a wide band is difficult. Here's Rod Elliott's take:

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
I don't think I see such constructions very often, why? Weighing the cons (what are they?) against the pros (what could they be?) it leads to..what? If it is possible to generalize that is?

Here is an example of what I mean, BTM:
View attachment 240915

(none I will build, just chosen to exemplify)
Think it’s known as the D’Apollito configuration?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, that's like my design, with the tweeter between dual midrange drivers. Strictly that's MTM, and becomes D'Appolito when the mid center to center is about 1.5 wavelengths at crossover and you use a third order Butterworth (BW3) xover.

In later years even D'Appolito started using LR4 instead of BW3. That's what most people use now.

Last edited:

diablo

Forum Donor
When I bought my Castle Conway 3s in 2005 they were described as being a d'Appolito design. I think the two mid/woofers were supposed to act like one larger driver?

Castle Conway 3.jpg

Top Bottom