• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alexium

a little over 40Hz acording to my Motu FFT. still pretty deap for a natural intrument
Thank you for this remark. I thought it was in the 30s for sure, if not below 30. Your comment prompted me to investigate a little bit, and I was surprised to find out that most tracks I thought of as having really deep base only go down to 50 Hz sometimes, often even bottom out around 60. That's not deep at all in my book. I guess I underestimated the heft of 50 to 60 Hz sine.

Here's the only track I've found so far by casual listening that goes below 40.
I haven't checked with a spectrum analyzer; what I do is swing the 31 Hz slider on the graphic EQ from -15 to +15 dB and listen for any changes. The next slider is 43 Hz, to give you an idea for its Q.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Thank you for this remark. I thought it was in the 30s for sure, if not below 30. Your comment prompted me to investigate a little bit, and I was surprised to find out that most tracks I thought of as having really deep base only go down to 50 Hz sometimes, often even bottom out around 60. That's not deep at all in my book. I guess I underestimated the heft of 50 to 60 Hz sine.

that's totaly normal. what we percieve as "good bass" in a song is most of the time around 50Hz. below 40Hz makes the bass fuller, but those frequencies are more in the background in our perception

hege

Forum Donor
Groovy

The Dark Streets [AZ-E2VSrEbQ].png

Alexium

The last 30 seconds on this one is always fun on a true full range system.
I needed to boost my Hifiman HE-400 by 10 dB in the 20..30 Hz region to understand what you meant. This is the kind of bass I was looking for!

OP
pavuol

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I was listening to my mp3 playlist in my cheap old car with lowend soundsystem :oops::) lately and even without a sub I realized this easy pop track felt somehow boomy:

La Roux - Tropical Chancer
06 Tropical Chancer.png

pau

sunday chill

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
The Zubin Mehta 1971 recording of Holst The Planets captures the Organ Pipes at around 22Hz in the last couple of minutes (hxxps://www.discogs.com/master/46131-Holst-Los-Angeles-Philharmonic-Zubin-Mehta-The-Planets).
I heard The Planets performed at the London Royal Albert Hall and the earth-moving effect at the end of Saturn made the hairs stand up on my arms. I can't quite recreate that energy at home :)
The sample below is from the 24bit / 176kHz FLAC which is extracted from a DSD file (it has a hump of ultrasonic noise)

Gustav Holst - The Planets HR - 05 - The Planets  V. Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age.png

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Robert Wyatt's album Cuckooland (hxxps://www.discogs.com/master/23589-Robert-Wyatt-Cuckooland) has a track "Brian the Fox", which has quite a lot of low frequency energy between 25 and 50 Hz.
Robert Wyatt - Cuckooland - 15 - Brian the Fox.png

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
The re-issued edition of Kate Bush's The Dreaming (hxxps://www.discogs.com/release/12834910-Kate-Bush-The-Dreaming) has a track "The Dreaming" which features a regular "orchestral crash" with quite a lot of energy between 20 and 30 Hz:
Kate Bush - The Dreaming - 2018 - 06 - The Dreaming - 2018.png

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Believe it or not car guys used this to show off their subwoofers in the 80s. Best on Qobuz or Tidal
61norblyHhL._SX425_.jpg

Top Bottom