• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The whole album is a brutal test.Both for gear and ears :)
I would be scared to play this on actively amped expensive tweeters

Sokel

Master Contributor
I would be scared to play this on actively amped expensive tweeters
I am the biggest fun of actives but my matched pair will always have a capacitor before them :).

OdysseusG

I listened to a new album and found a confusing (but enjoyable) amount of bass washing over me. I finally figured out how to work sox to pull up spectrograms and see that my subs aren't malfunctioning/overly hot, and they were having fun hammering 35 hz. The artist and album? Regina Spektor's "Home, before and after" FW6mpaHUUAIR1Ik.jpg
A few interesting graphs, labeled by track number:

Attachments

• 02.png
    02.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 09.png
    09.png
    152 KB · Views: 53
  • 07.png
    07.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 06.png
    06.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 05.png
    05.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 03.png
    03.png
    242.4 KB · Views: 57

Kervel

Forum Donor
On a bass thread, gotta add the Bassists Alliance, a group of mostly metal bass players who made an excellent album (without vocals!!).

Bassists Alliance -- Crush

Attachments

• spectrogram.png
    spectrogram.png
    267.3 KB · Views: 65

Sokel

Master Contributor
My nephew introduced me to this:

My Immortal-Evanescence from the live album Anywhere but home.
Seems nice but after 3:05 all hell breaks loose.

(PS: the singer would have been nice in classical if she had come this way,nothing fancy but ok)

My Immortal.PNG

(YT is unlistendable to this,just for reference)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some classic 1990s drum and bass, the 50-55 second mark is where the deep bass kicks in:

Interesting track.
I quickly analyzed it using Adobe Audition 3.0.1 with the settings of Range 120 dB, Saturation 90, Gamma 3, Resolution 16384 Bands, Logarithmic;
WS004014.JPG

And the enlarged/expanded potion after 4 min 48 sec:
WS004015.JPG

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
And the absolute torture (take a look at HF too )

Pan Sonic-Suhteellinen

View attachment 218741

Posted a while back I realise but that was a brilliant track, thank you. Beautiful actually, but I like that kind of thing.

I listened on speakers, which I enjoy more for deep bass, headphones go there technically but not so much viscerally. The sub-bass certainly has some real action in the 15-20 Hz range as @5mall5nail5 says. Great artists, I'd heard Mort Aux Vaches before but not this one for some reason. What an oversight.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I'd best contribute somethingz

Not quite as deep but in no way not fun (the other Tame remixes are good too, not on SoundCloud but Apple Music has them as an EP)

https://soundcloud.com/gilschneider%2Fswan-meat-brave-gil-remix
This short one plumbs the depths at the get-go (more deep space than thunderous beats)

https://soundcloud.com/yeule%2Fsee-you-space-cowboy-1
If you like that sort of thing, the album does good (sometimes deep) bass generally (underneath the dreamy lo-fi hyperpop)

https://soundcloud.com/yeule%2Fsets%2Fserotonin-ii-1

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pan Sonic Virta 1

This is BRUTAL. The bass at 3 mins 30 secs is ... whoa. Then there's a bunch of like 10-15 khz stuff also. Good test track.

I listened on speakers, which I enjoy more for deep bass, headphones go there technically but not so much viscerally. The sub-bass certainly has some real action in the 15-20 Hz range as @5mall5nail5 says. Great artists, I'd heard Mort Aux Vaches before but not this one for some reason. What an oversight.

I believe the sound is not only BRUTAL but also DANGEROUS...
WS004016.JPG

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you measured a flac or the YT?
I analyzed it after conversion of mkv into aiff 48 kHz 24 bit by JRiver MC 29.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I analyzed it after conversion of mkv into aiff 48 kHz 24 bit by JRiver MC 29.
I have the actual wav's levels measured by rew in the same post,it goes up to -8db in the worst case.
The sample you measured is not right,maybe whoever transfer it to YT did not did it right.

Midnight Audiophile

One of the dudes I think of when it comes to bass is thump-master Les Claypool. Saw Primus at Lollapalooza years ago (I was out of my mind on acid so it was extra fantizzimo) and then in Asheville, NC a few years ago. It's aways fun to yell "PRIMUS SUCKS" ; )

Primus
Shake Hands With Beef

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Spectrogram (results in spectrogram.png):
Code:
sox input.wav -n remix - rate 200 spectrogram -z 60
(I've use -z 60 scale which is quite good to show somewhat audible levels... you can replace "rate 200" with double the hz you want to see up to..)

Trying to use this in Windows, but couldn't get it to work... Or rather, it could be working but I do not know when the generated image is...

hege

Forum Donor
Trying to use this in Windows, but couldn't get it to work... Or rather, it could be working but I do not know when the generated image is...
Should be in the same directory?

Perhaps check sweetchaos guide post for easier:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends,

Just for your reference, I just started here and thereafter my "pot series" entitled "Excellent Recording Quality Music Albums/Tracks for Subjective (and Possibly Objective) Test/Check/Tuning of Multichannel Multi-Driver Multi-Way Multi-Amplifier Time-Aligned Active Stereo Audio System and Room Acoustics; at least a Portion and/or One Track being Analyzed by Color Spectrum of Adobe Audition in Common Parameters" on my multichannel multi-amplifier project thread; sorry for the rather long title...

Please note that I will slowly and steadily proceed and organize the "post series" (maybe a few posts in a month or so). I would highly appreciate your kind attention and possible participation there.

Top Bottom