• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac help

Earthbound

So, I hate to be one of those new guys who comes on the forum and asks the forum members to help buy a product. I apologize in advance. The all about the numbers aspect of the forum makes me a bit unsure sometimes. It’s all about measurements and I feel that music enjoyment is more than that. But, as far as dacs are concerned, I feel measurements are significantly more useful and that members here would be the most knowledgeable.
I am looking for a solid state dac to pair with a recently ordered Aric Custom 300b amp. I will be going directly into the amp and not using a preamp. I have a Cambridue cxn v2 streamer, modified with a ModWright tube dac. So, I have the warm and fuzzy tube sound available. I’m looking to add a dac that does not color the sound of the amp as much, has balanced xlr’s and is 4 volt. It’s a pricey amp and I would like to have its characteristics show and not be as influenced from upstream. I started researching and thought the Topping D90le was a good candidate for what I’m looking for and the price is right.
My request from forum members, what are some other options? Would like to stick to under $3000. I’m not looking for anything that might be bright or too digital. Accurate, transparent, balanced xlr etc.. are desirable. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide. Earthbound

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Accurate, transparent, balanced xlr etc.. are desirable

Welcome to ASR! You can get what you're after for $269...

OP
E

Earthbound

I’m not familiar with the RME. will check it out. Thank you

OP
E

Earthbound

I like what I’ve read about the RME. How is the sound coming from the headphone jack? i like the idea of not having to buy a separate headphone amp if possible.

Curvature

Major Contributor
I like what I’ve read about the RME. How is the sound coming from the headphone jack? i like the idea of not having to buy a separate headphone amp if possible.
It has a headphone amp built in.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Would like to stick to under $3000.
That would be a lot!!!

Most DACs are better than human hearing and personally I'm perfectly happy with whatever is built-into my computer or AVR, etc. But, I don't need 4V and I don't have an amp with balanced inputs.

A few years ago I did some quick research and the "best" audio DAC chip only cost about $30 USD. With most electronics the manufacturing costs are mostly related to "everything else"... The cabinet, the power supply, switches-controls, connectors, etc. When you get into the "audiophile market" you've got higher per-unit costs related to low quantities and also much higher per-unit engineering, distribution, and marketing costs. The manufacturer also needs a higher per-unit profit. And the higher the retail price the more desirable it becomes to the audiophile!

Speakers are a different story. Every speaker sounds different and a better-sounding speaker usually costs more to build. Every headphone also sounds different but there is almost no correlation between price and sound quality.

With amplifiers, more power costs more but there is rather poor correlation between price & power output.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Amrim using the RME headphone amp as his daily driver iirc. I don't think you'll get a much better endorsement than that

OP
E

Earthbound

Dvddoug, I just put that monetary amount out there in case something really stood out against the Topping. I’m to the point where I don’t want a component that isn’t up to the sound quality of the rest. The Topping really seems to be a quality piece of equipment at any price point.

gvl

Major Contributor
Topping has a couple of issues. First is service. Depending where you buy it you may have to send it to China for repair in case of a failure and as with all electronics a failure is on the table, figure at least a month downtime and shipping costs. Second is SPDIF issues, it’s a known problem with DACs not working reliably with certain CD/DVD players and TVs. If you’re comfortable with either there isn’t a reason to not buy a Topping DAC.

OP
E

Earthbound

Topping has a couple of issues. First is service. Depending where you buy it you may have to send it to China for repair in case of a failure and as with all electronics a failure is on the table, figure at least a month downtime and shipping costs. Second is SPDIF issues, it’s a known problem with DACs not working reliably with certain CD/DVD players and TVs. If you’re comfortable with either there isn’t a reason to not buy a Topping DAC.
Do you have a recommendation as an alternative to Topping? I would like to buy American if I can but am not sure about Schiit or other US companies.

gvl

Major Contributor
Do you have a recommendation as an alternative to Topping? I would like to buy American if I can but am not sure about Schiit or other US companies.

Newer DACs from Schiit are good if you stay away from their multibit models and don’t need a built in volume control, etc. Also check out the JDS Atom DAC, it checked out pretty well here.

AdamG

Safari “Troll” hunts available at reasonable rates
Forum Donor
The RME already recommended is considered among the top DAC/Headphone Amp combinations available in a reasonable price. You really can’t do better as far as performance goes. Check out the measurements section and you will see the RME ranks among the best in class and below your budget. You really can’t do better than this unit.

OP
E

Earthbound

The built in EQ in RME is very handy for headphone use, as very few headphones don’t need EQ to sound their best.
The headphone Jack and eq make it quite tempting. Otherwise, in 6 months I will be shopping for a separate headphone amp and headphones. There goes thousands more!

gvl

Major Contributor
Once a year at least RME runs a promotion, the DAC was selling under 1k until end of August.

OP
E

Earthbound

Once a year at least RME runs a promotion, the DAC was selling under 1k until end of August.
At just over a grand, it’s a bargain. I was looking at the Holo Spring KTE or Denafrips Venus ii, which are far more expensive. I’ve always heard that you really don’t have to break the bank to get a good dac. I appreciate this forum for confirming that!

ADale

Like many products, the current RME ADI-2 no longer has the same DAC chip it had when reviewed here. Does this matter? Do companies which had to change chips simply ensure the updated products sound as good or better when changing chips? Thanks. New here and love reading these threads.

Top Bottom