• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac help

Trell

Major Contributor
Topping D90SE or SMSL SU-10 are the two top-measuring DACs. The RME ADI-2 measures almost as well, but gives the additional benefit of PEQ.
As well as dynamic loudness that is useful when listening at lower volume. There is also bass/treble tone controls controlled with knobs on the device as well as from the remote.

OP
E

Earthbound

As well as dynamic loudness that is useful when listening at lower volume. There is also bass/treble tone controls controlled with knobs on the device as well as from the remote.
Those tone knobs and loudness are super useful features. After I discern which style of dac I want long term, tube or solid state, my next will include such features. At $675 and with a good reputation, I’m sure I won’t take too much of a loss on either the Topping or Cambridge. Both quality intro units.

Trell

Major Contributor
Those tone knobs and loudness are super useful features. After I discern which style of dac I want long term, tube or solid state, my next will include such features. At $675 and with a good reputation, I’m sure I won’t take too much of a loss on either the Topping or Cambridge. Both quality intro units.

For dynamic loudness the pickings are very slim indeed if you want it onboard a DAC, and as far as I know only RME has that on a desktop DAC. Tone knobs are also quite unusual today. You do have to pay for it as the RME is not inexpensive, but it has a ton of features. I own the device myself, btw.

If you use a PC/Mac there is software that can do similar, but I've not used that.

felbj-htd.

Ordered the Topping D90le today, along with some Black Dragon xlr’s. The cables match the other digital cable I have. Look forward to hearing the Topping. Will post impressions if I can make any intelligent ones!
You see: it all depends on what you compare the Topping to. You would be very happy if you had never compared it in your room to Denafrips Terminator or other DACs of such caliber. I know, I would be very happy with my AIWA Exos9 $400 Bluetooth speaker if I had never heard the very artsy looking and super-expensive pair of B&W Nautilus (do yourself a favor and google it) with the same caliber electronics to drive it.

gvl

Major Contributor
You see: it all depends on what you compare the Topping to. You would be very happy if you had never compared it in your room to Denafrips Terminator or other DACs of such caliber.

Caliber? You must mean the girth of the device? I see then.

OP
E

Earthbound

i have read that Topping does great measurements wise, but other units like Terminator and Holo May sound better. What’s the general impression of Matrix X Sabre 3? Does excellent measurements wise. Is that in the next level up sound wise? I’ve decided that I want to go with a solid state dac and not a tube dac. I was looking at the Holo Spring but then came across this site with the measurements, which many here swear to. If I can save money great but I am willing to pay once for better gear.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It's a sad truth: more expensive things are often better quality than the chip ones.

It's a much more sad truth that in the audio world, people are too often paying for a well told story that they really don't understand.

You see: it all depends on what you compare the Topping to. You would be very happy if you had never compared it in your room to Denafrips Terminator or other DACs of such caliber.

Uh huh...

OP
E

Earthbound

So I‘ve been reading so many threads regarding measurements on this site. On other sites, I’m reading about both measurements and other intangibles. I’ve been curious, how does audio science review measure soundstage width, depth and instrument isolation, which are real things?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
how does audio science review measure soundstage width, depth and instrument isolation, which are real things?
For DACs, these things are meaningless. They do not influence this unless badly broken. Don’t believe everything you read.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
how does audio science review measure soundstage width, depth and instrument isolation, which are real things?
No, they aren't really. Sound is frequency, amplitude, and time.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The present tests do include some of the information you seek in the graphs.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The present tests do include some of the information you seek in the graphs.
Like what? Channel separation? Anything of above 35 dB is perfectly fine really. SOTA DAC’s have > 120 dB. Nothing to worry about.

OP
E

Earthbound

No, they aren't really. Sound is frequency, amplitude, and time.
Wow. No such thing as soundstage. I’ve got to wrap my head around this for a bit. So, essentially all the dacs on the rating list sound exactly the same(if they are close together like the ones on the left where the Topping d90 is)?

OP
E

Earthbound

Pick a review.
Does Amir test the same variables for each dac tested? I will go back a pay closer attention to the graphs. I looked at the Matrix Sabre 3, Topping d90, which I purchased and many others.

Top Bottom