• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac help

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, essentially all the dacs on the rating list sound exactly the same(if they are close together like the ones on the left where the Topping d90 is)?
Yes, they will. Nobody has ever proven otherwise.

Reactions: GPJ
OP
E

Earthbound

I’m just trying to get a bit more understanding of dacs that’s all. I question the guys on Audiogon as well to justify higher price points. I’m shocked at the complete disparity between the 2 camps. Very confusing.

OP
E

Earthbound

Yes, they will. Nobody has ever proven otherwise.
Perhaps the human factor is what makes this unmeasurable. We hear things differently and interpret sound differently. I hope I love the cheaper sound!!

OP
E

Earthbound

I find it hard to believe no one has done extensive double blind tests between dacs. Or have they? It would certainly put an end to the controversy.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does Amir test the same variables for each dac tested? I will go back a pay closer attention to the graphs. I looked at the Matrix Sabre 3, Topping d90, which I purchased and many others.
Pick one and try to make it within the recent year or so to ensure the test gear is all up to date and stuff.

OP
E

Earthbound

My urge to buy the Matrix Sabre 3, even though I own the Topping, is what has fueled my research. There doesn’t seem to be point to “upgrade”.

Trell

Major Contributor
I find it hard to believe no one has done extensive double blind tests between dacs. Or have they? It would certainly put an end to the controversy.

What do you mean by extensive? There are a number of double blinds tests done. The "controversy" is similar to the "controversy" that the world is flat.

OP
E

Earthbound

What do you mean by extensive? There are a number of double blinds tests done. The "controversy" is similar to the "controversy" that the world is flat.
A lot of studies=extensive. Thats all. I will try some google searches to see if there is anything credible.

Trell

Major Contributor
A lot of studies=extensive. Thats all. I will try some google searches to see if there is anything credible.

Knock yourself out and please come back with what you found.

Last edited:
OP
E

Earthbound

Found they are all the same. Done by an enthusiast, not very scientific, not done the proper way and results varied. They varied based on which forum I read. Did find the neuroplasticity comment interesting. I will learn more about that as it pertains to the auditory system.

Trell

Major Contributor
Found they are all the same. Done by an enthusiast, not very scientific, not done the proper way and results varied. They varied based on which forum I read. Did find the neuroplasticity comment interesting. I will learn more about that as it pertains to the auditory system.

That was fast.

OP
E

Earthbound

It doesn’t take too long to see how the experiment is flawed And there’s not much out there except on music forums.

OP
E

Earthbound

The quick results were actually helpful. I have a tube dac, which has distortion or “colored” sound and a Topping d90 that has wonderfully accurate sound. The best of both worlds I guess. I’ll just p,at with the tubes on one dac for vary sound and keep the Topping as accurate sound option. There doesn’t really seem to be a reason to change that when there doesn’t seem to be data to support that there’s much better. I just saved a lot of money!

OP
E

Earthbound

In what way where they flawed?
Not doing a proper number of trials, different listening conditions, asking people to listen through headphones, adding to many variables like a third dac option..

Trell

Major Contributor
Not doing a proper number of trials, different listening conditions, asking people to listen through headphones, adding to many variables like a third dac option..
So do DACs sound different then, assuming well-engineered?

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I skipped to the end to hopefully see that you'd bought the RME and now I'm crying into my 12 year old single malt whiskey...:confused:

Good luck with the Topping bud. :cool:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I’ve been curious, how does audio science review measure soundstage width, depth and instrument isolation, which are real things?

They are only real in the sense that speakers and rooms (and headphones + ears) work together to make convincing illusions of them. And of course the producers did actual manipulation in the studio to give the speakers/headphones something to work with. But DACs have no influence on any of them.

Top Bottom