• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac help

Soria Moria

Like many products, the current RME ADI-2 no longer has the same DAC chip it had when reviewed here. Does this matter? Do companies which had to change chips simply ensure the updated products sound as good or better when changing chips? Thanks. New here and love reading these threads.
There is barely any difference: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...us-ess-measurements-dac-preamp-headamp.35377/

However, the ESS version (new one) does not have the DSD Direct feature which strangely enough, the manual doesn't tell you about.

OP
E

Earthbound

I just watched the Midfi YouTube video comparing the Topping, Denafrips, RME, Chord and a couple others. Very informative. As usual, it comes down to what your ears like. The Denafrips, r2r, has a more warm sound, while the Topping and RME feature greater clarity, amongst other things. Probably will come down to whether I want features or pure dac.

Soria Moria

I just watched the Midfi YouTube video comparing the Topping, Denafrips, RME, Chord and a couple others. Very informative. As usual, it comes down to what your ears like. The Denafrips, r2r, has a more warm sound, while the Topping and RME feature greater clarity, amongst other things. Probably will come down to whether I want features or pure dac.
That guy calls a flat, transparent measuring DAC more 'detailed' and with bigger/smaller soundstage than another flat, transparent measuring DAC. I wouldn't take his opinions seriously.

OP
E

Earthbound

That guy calls a flat, transparent measuring DAC more 'detailed' and with bigger/smaller soundstage than another flat, transparent measuring DAC. I wouldn't take his opinions seriously.
Do you have a dac in your system? If so, what are you using and why?

Soria Moria

I'm using the RME ADI-2 DAC FS with the ESS chip. Sounds great, and I use the EQ and Loudness feature at all times with my headphones. Occasionally use the crossfeed when listening to older albums with dated left/right mixes. I can 100% recommend this device.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The general consensus on ASR is that DACs meeting the threshold for audible transparency all sound the same. Once this threshold is met, then differences and preferences for individual DACs are based on other factors such as functionality, inputs, form factor, aesthetics, reliability, service and support, etc.

More about audible transparency here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-thresholds-of-amp-and-dac-measurements.5734/

OP
E

Earthbound

I'm using the RME ADI-2 DAC FS with the ESS chip. Sounds great, and I use the EQ and Loudness feature at all times with my headphones. Occasionally use the crossfeed when listening to older albums with dated left/right mixes. I can 100% recommend this device.
Thanks for sharing.

12Many

Lots of good options. Benchmark makes a DAC that is well reviewed. 5 year warranty. Has some nice features, like analog inputs, if needed. And you can connect it directly to your amp as it has a volume control.

OP
E

Earthbound

Not meaning to high jack my own thread, any ideas for xlr cables? I think the Topping is my choice and I need the xlr’s for it. Again, I people buying $2000 cables and some $350. I would like a very good pair to go from the dac to amp.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I own the RME. The headphone amp is powerful enough for many finicky headphones, the EQ is great, and the dynamic loudness is a killer feature (And why I bought it).

If you need cables go to Blue Jeans or Belden or one of those places. Definitely no need to pay more. The only thing that makes a cable “very good” is that it is made from adequate gage stranded copper and has well engineered terminations. Blue Jeans welds theirs, which makes one type of failure less likely.

see “balanced audio” for XLR

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Not meaning to high jack my own thread, any ideas for xlr cables? I think the Topping is my choice and I need the xlr’s for it. Again, I people buying $2000 cables and some $350. I would like a very good pair to go from the dac to amp.
There really isn't any difference between cables, amir has done several cable test and found no difference, even with the really cheap ones that they supply in the box with DVD players etc. Here's a test of some RCA cables: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-of-rca-cables-mogami-amazon-monoprice.27871/

There are some tests of XLR cables somewhere, but I could find them. Essentially the same result, no real difference, so don't waste money on the really expensive ones, just get some well made XLR cables with decent Neutrik connectors. I have some Mogami 2534 starquad cables, like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mogami-2534-Cable-Neutrik-female/dp/B07BLLDD14

gvl

Major Contributor

I buy cheapo Talent branded cables from Parts Express, they work great. For short line level runs cables don’t matter.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lol at staying belo 3000 dollars.

Just got a Topping E70 full of features for under 300.

For xlr cables I recommend Audioblast, or World Best Cables using Mogami or Gotham.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
OP
E

Earthbound

Lol at staying belo 3000 dollars.

Just got a Topping E70 full of features for under 300.

For xlr cables I recommend Audioblast, or World Best Cables using Mogami or Gotham.
I know! I still have a hard time wrapping my head around inexpensive gear having that sort of quality. I’m replacing a good, old solid state system with a new tube amp, new speakers and streamer. I want to make sure I get quality gear as I don’t want to replace my new system in this lifetime! Lol

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Gosh, don't spend that sort of money! Go to designacable or similar to order what you need. I've found Mogami 2549 to be excellent for balanced cables when paired with Neutrik XLR plugs and sockets.

Spend the rest of your money on music!

OP
E

Earthbound

Gosh, don't spend that sort of money! Go to designacable or similar to order what you need. I've found Mogami 2549 to be excellent for balanced cables when paired with Neutrik XLR plugs and sockets.

Spend the rest of your money on music!
Thank you. Yes, the Mogami look good. I think that’s the direction I’m going. They’ve come up in several threads here and elsewhere. i appreciate the input.

OP
E

Earthbound

Ordered the Topping D90le today, along with some Black Dragon xlr’s. The cables match the other digital cable I have. Look forward to hearing the Topping. Will post impressions if I can make any intelligent ones!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ordered the Topping D90le today, along with some Black Dragon xlr’s. The cables match the other digital cable I have. Look forward to hearing the Topping. Will post impressions if I can make any intelligent ones!
Just be prepared, if you hear a difference, the ASR hive mind will discount it an ddemand properly controlled blind testing. And if it sounds substantially worse, you will be peppered with questions intended to diagnose a broken DAC, ground loop, or other system malfunction.

To be clear, I generally subscribe to the hive mind beliefs, but it is sort of amazing to watch.

OP
E

Earthbound

Well I ordered the Topping D90le and Black Dragon cables, which match my other cable for digital. Topping was on sale, silver only, so for $670, figured it was worth a shot. At least it will a good test to see if I want very accurate, Topping or warm, modded Cambridge cxn v2.

Top Bottom