• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Raspberry PIs, Intel NUCs and other mini PCs!

Steve_NZ

I use one of these Odroid HC2 devices running DietPi and Logitech Media Server and Samba. You can plug an SSD straight into it and then screw it down onto the heatsink. It has since been discontinued and the latest Odroid HC4 looks more like a toaster. The HC2 is perfect for me and quite a cool design.

D9C5A9CA-920E-4044-974F-00EE30F6B726.jpeg

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My old NUC, has been running non-stop 24x7 since 2014. It's still my home media server, primarily running Plex and Logitech Media Server. Ubuntu OS.

ywrMzaR.jpg

roog

Forum Donor
Holy schnikes, that is AWESOME! Well done. Beautiful work.
Thank you @Miercoles2022 for your kind thoughts, I found the challenge really fun, therapy even, trying to use as much of the original electronics as possible including PSUs, switch gear and VU circuitry. And for once its a project that I actually use!

I am now tempted to build up a purifi class D amp and house that in some similarly dated item of hifi, it’s just that the costs will be so much higher. :0(

i am wondering whether I should consider one of the lower cost ‘class D in a chip’ technologies, like those used by Sabaj etc?

Miercoles2022

@roog , Yes, the Purifi modules are quite expensive. Unless you need all that power, you could save some money by going with a lower-powered Hypex nCore model. The mid-tier IcePower modules may suffice at a competitive price point and some I think were favorably reviewed here. I was lucky to pick up a new IcePower 300A2 on the forum here for a big discount and built that into an old amplifier chassis. I’ll never use all the power it has available.

There are some well-made TI TPA3255 based products available (you may have to contact the sellers for availability) that should be very simple to implement in older chassis.

The newer Merus-based amplifiers getting a lot of attention this year are interesting, but I don’t believe there is a long track record with reliability and quality of construction known, yet. I think the bare modules for these available are still suspect for high quality implementation of the circuit. A front-runner will likely emerge soon. However, the one Merus HAT amplifier I recent received does sound pretty good, though it is low-power.

Depending on how much power you need (over 100 WPC with very low distortion will get pricey), I think there are some very good options. Good luck and happy researching!

Attachments

• 1C8FA60B-3F5D-4336-9950-A458C378C113.jpeg
    1C8FA60B-3F5D-4336-9950-A458C378C113.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 164

escape2

When shopping for an NUC recently I found Bee link had the lowest prices for my 8th gen Intel i5 model. I'm in the us but paid $250 for a unit with 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, and i5 8279 CPU for my new 4k TV.
Great deal. How did you manage to get it at this price?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I’m using RPI 4 with HIFIBerry digihat in a HiFIBerry case with a Nirvana power supply. I also have a Nano3 but it’s not currently in use.
I use Dietpi with Shairport and GMediaRender.

Attachments

• B41BDDF9-1A2E-4186-B922-0B53DD99A9FE.jpeg
    B41BDDF9-1A2E-4186-B922-0B53DD99A9FE.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 157
  • A50E01A0-C05D-4987-8755-9D3FC7D6FE2A.jpeg
    A50E01A0-C05D-4987-8755-9D3FC7D6FE2A.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 156

roog

Forum Donor
@roog , Yes, the Purifi modules are quite expensive. Unless you need all that power, you could save some money by going with a lower-powered Hypex nCore model. The mid-tier IcePower modules may suffice at a competitive price point and some I think were favorably reviewed here. I was lucky to pick up a new IcePower 300A2 on the forum here for a big discount and built that into an old amplifier chassis. I’ll never use all the power it has available.

There are some well-made TI TPA3255 based products available (you may have to contact the sellers for availability) that should be very simple to implement in older chassis.

The newer Merus-based amplifiers getting a lot of attention this year are interesting, but I don’t believe there is a long track record with reliability and quality of construction known, yet. I think the bare modules for these available are still suspect for high quality implementation of the circuit. A front-runner will likely emerge soon. However, the one Merus HAT amplifier I recent received does sound pretty good, though it is low-power.

Depending on how much power you need (over 100 WPC with very low distortion will get pricey), I think there are some very good options. Good luck and happy researching!
Thank you for your thoughts @miercoles you raise a good list of interesting options. My current class A/B power amp is from a typical over priced UK brand and offers up to 100W so I suppose that is what drives my wish to match it or better it. As they say in the UK “in for a penny in for a pound” if I’m going to change to class D it might was well be a good one! Whether I actually need the power is another matter. I must try one of the purifi based amps possibly a NAD but I am tempted by the myriad of class D chip amps especially as they are modestly priced and small thus easy to package in an old chassis.

I like the Hitachi with its VU meters, very smart.

Hayabusa

Tom C

Major Contributor
My Raspberry Pi is on the panel of my airplane. It has a radio receiver for ADS-B in and a WaaS GPS. It broadcasts on its local WiFi near real time weather, aviation traffic, and GPS location. The copper tape around it is the antenna ground - without that, it didn't pick up any signal. I have a small tablet on my knee, which connects to the Raspberry Pi WiFi and shows this information live while flying.
Total cost was about $100 over 5 years ago. It's proven reliable over hundreds of hours since then. It doesn't require expensive FAA certification because it is not required for flight, nor permanently installed in the airplane.
View attachment 221718
Gorgeous! But, aren’t you flying a little low there?

MRC01

Major Contributor
... Here is my up cycled Sony TC 209 SD cassette deck minus its cassette mech and now housing an RPi 3 running Picoreplayer, plus Allo Digione hat, SPDIF out put is to RME ADI-2 DAC, complete with active moving Coil VU meters and functional cassette ‘piano keys’ for RW/Stop/Play/FF/Next track (substituted for record) and Pause.
Holy schnikes, that is AWESOME! Well done. Beautiful work.
Ditto! That is so creatively awesome. Kudos to you!

roog

Forum Donor
Ditto! That is so creatively awesome. Kudos to you!
Thanks, the idea came from a friend of mine, we were both visiting the Bristol HiFi show in Feb 2020 and admiring some of the modern retro styled kit and wondered what we could do to mimic that. 1970’s cassette decks had the retro look and there were quite a few ‘not working‘ units for sale on eBay so it seemed a good choice to up cycle And probably the least likely to offend those who cherish original vintage stereo equipment as they weren’t generally good performers

Last edited:

linuxfan

Attachments

• NEO3.jpg
    NEO3.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 139

TOMX23

Buenas tardes, desde España, estoy encantado con este Foro y sobre todo con la funcionalidad de traducción simultánea de Google, las horas que pasé molestando a mi mujer para apenas enterar toda la información que existe en este Foro. Gracias

Attachments

• IMG20221001203910.jpg
    IMG20221001203910.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 112

TOMX23

Buenas tardes, soy un neófito en la materia y con tanto acrónimo NAS, DLNA; UPNP, LMS, etc... y aun encima mis conocimientos de Linux son casi nulos.

Les explico la situación actual y donde quiero llegar.

Tengo una Raspberry Pi 3b con un DAC de Suptronics X900; funcionando bajo Volumio. Y esto a través un cable RCA lo tengo conectado a un amplificador de los años 70 (ROTELYes) una maravilla, estoy encantado con el sonido.

El problema radica en que Volumio no se ven bien las caratulas. No los Lp's que eso lo hace bien al llevar la imagen dentro de la carpeta de la música, pero los Singles tengo más de 8000 y hacer un montón de carpetas e imágenes es inviable, además que se trata de un error de Volumio), ya que mi biblioteca se ve sin problemas en cualquier otro aparato.

Para evitar lo anterior encontré un programa que se llama Media Monkey, que ataca bien la Raspberry y se ven las caratulas.

Lo que quiero saber es si se puede:

• Con Media Monkey acceder a la Raspberry y reproducir el contenido de lo que hay en USB conectado a la misma.
  • Con Media Monkey una funcionalidad que sería cuando termina una canción y empieza otra, visualizar en la pantalla , la carátula, el título etc, por un tiempo corto 20 segundos y después volverse apagar.
  • Ya que lo malo de estos reproductores estos sin cabeza y con la música digital que muchas veces no sabes ni lo que estás escuchando, si no ves la imagen y estar todo el rato desbloqueando el teléfono es un.

Attachments

• IMG20221001203910.jpg
    IMG20221001203910.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG20221001203918.jpg
    IMG20221001203918.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 54

usersky

Forum Donor
Most basic RPI 3b spotifying in my home office using moode through MiniDSP Flex (with Dirac Live) -> Yamaha AX-640 -> KEF R3:
20221001_215348.jpg

Top Bottom