• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Sounds really strange. You mean your volume issue happened only when in Independent BTL mode?? And is back to normal when in Master-Slave BTL Mode??
When using Independent BTL mode => does the louder volume always happens with the same amp unit? You said louder left-channel (the master unit).
What happen if you reverse the 2 units (swap slave unit/R-Ch to be the Master unit/L-Ch) => does it now show louder volume in the slave/R-CH now??

When in Master-Slave BTL mode (no issue) => Both A300 units has the same volume settings?? Max 60?? And the Preamp balance control is centered(if any)??

Personally I feel the Master-Slave BTL mode is kinda odd and less clean connection wise; need an extra interconnect too.

They should have just released a power amp version without that BTL master slave stuff.

nsfgp

They should have just released a power amp version without that BTL master slave stuff.
Well ... you can just set the amp to max volume and leave it there if you have volume control from the DAC or Preamp. That will work like a poweramp.
The very important thing is each unit needs to be consistent in terms of output/loudness when set to any mode (BTL mode included of course).
Apparently w/ the limited info reported by ca1075 the 2 units he has showed 4db difference output when set to Independent BTL mode (just amplifying mono L-channel on each unit and no stupid loopback for the R-ch). That is why I ask those questions above just to confirm what may be going wrong.

Toku

Major Contributor
Is it better to use a preamplifier?
When connecting a DAC such as SU-9 to the input using the master-slave method, it is better to set the DAC to PRE MODE and use the volume control on the DAC side. This method allows you to adjust the volume more smoothly.

If you set the two A300s to the independent BTL mode instead of the master-slave method, you can adjust the volume of the two A300s at the same time with one remote controller. Alternatively, you can fix the volume positions of the two A300s, set the DAC to PRE MODE in the same way as above, and use the volume control on the DAC side.

robertospeed

I tried my Rotel RC1572 that I have in another system. I also tried it with many Dacs. SMSL AO100 & SU-6, Sabaj D40 & Topping DX3 pro.
I have an SMSL SU-9 DAC, you say it is better to connect it with the SU-9 which acts as a preamplifier?

robertospeed

SMSL A300 finally arrived, it's great, I like it

SMSL A300.jpg

robertospeed

thanks , the timbre of sound seems the same, as power it feels that it sounds more mighty and louder than AO200, unfortunately in A300 they have saved in the case and in the display and heats more than AO200

ca1075

When connecting a DAC such as SU-9 to the input using the master-slave method, it is better to set the DAC to PRE MODE and use the volume control on the DAC side. This method allows you to adjust the volume more smoothly.

If you set the two A300s to the independent BTL mode instead of the master-slave method, you can adjust the volume of the two A300s at the same time with one remote controller. Alternatively, you can fix the volume positions of the two A300s, set the DAC to PRE MODE in the same way as above, and use the volume control on the DAC side.
thanks , the timbre of sound seems the same, as power it feels that it sounds more mighty and louder than AO200, unfortunately in A300 they have saved in the case and in the display and heats more than AO200
The AO200 is definitely built better as it should for the price difference. They should’ve just put the new chip inside that chassis and charged a little more. Both are exceptional values at their respective prices.

robertospeed

The AO200 is definitely built better as it should for the price difference. They should’ve just put the new chip inside that chassis and charged a little more. Both are exceptional values at their respective prices.
yes

ClassicGuy

What's the power and idle power consumption? I seem to remember this chip is not as efficient as MA12070.

maty

Major Contributor
Today i listened use a300 to drive jbl530: good match.

About 84 dB and 4 Ohms (min)

THD+N 0.1% -> 100 watts at 4 Ohms

Sb065e3351eb343b6aba629ea5e1554b14.jpg

Bleib

Major Contributor
A subjective review..

Bleib

Major Contributor
Top Bottom