• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
In other words use the correct cable and there is no problem.

Don't attempt DIY if you don't know what you are doing.

This is applicable to every audio cabling issue and hence it is not a DM7 issue.
True but it seems to be endemic in audiophilia.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Dunno, yet.
Do you use Roon?

Can you test a Linux based Roon 'endpoint' and see if Linux support multichannel (incl. DSD) with this DAC?

And if it does, tell us what Linux kernel you tested. So we know what kernel is required (as a minimum)

Reactions: MCH

gvl

Major Contributor
@amirm if you still have the device can you spot check the performance with an XLR to RCA converter? The D10B is a mess from that perspective as corners were cut.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
True but it seems to be endemic in audiophilia.
Interesting. It’s not like soldering is an easy thing to do, not to mention the tools required.

Krillin

I was really hoping for digital coax input so that this could be used with the MiniDSP DDRC-88D. Well I'm disappointed with Topping's decision to go USB only.

Dirac Live PC suite does not have active crossovers. The MiniDSP DDRC-88D does and requires AES-EBU or digital coax...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was really hoping for digital coax input so that this could be used with the MiniDSP DDRC-88D. Well I'm disappointed with Topping's decision to go USB only.
If you mean digital coax as in SPDIF, then it is not possible to transmit 8 channels over that signal.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Dirac Live PC suite does not have active crossovers. The MiniDSP DDRC-88D does and requires AES-EBU or digital coax...

What are you trying to do with the DDRC-88D? A stereo system with active active crossovers?

Michael

Krillin

If you mean digital coax as in SPDIF, then it is not possible to transmit 8 channels over that signal.
Yes, it is possible with a Lynx AES-16e sound card. There would be four SPDIF cables to make 8 channels.
What are you trying to do with the DDRC-88D? A stereo system with active active crossovers?

Michael
Stereo active speakers. Also, trying to make a surround system with my existing speakers. The BM app with the DDRC-88D is very powerful with the only weak link being the 48khz limitation.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it is possible with a Lynx AES-16e sound card. There would be four SPDIF cables to make 8 channels.
It is a professional interface using AES/EBU levels, costing almost $1000. This is a consumer device, costing half of that as a stand alone device.

Horses for courses...

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it is possible with a Lynx AES-16e sound card.

Stereo active speakers. Also, trying to make a surround system with my existing speakers. The BM app with the DDRC-88D is very powerful with the only weak link is the 48khz limitation.

Ditch the DDRC-88D, it is way too expensive for a stereo active system and designed more for individual speaker correction of a multichannel system.

Get a digital Flex and send the stereo Dirac processed output to a SPDIF to USB card mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Use the SPDIF to USB device as the capture device and the DM7 as the playback device on a RPi4 running CamillaDSP. Then implement 2 x 8 routing and x-over / EQ in CamillaDSP on the outputs to the DM7. CamillaDSP is way more powerful and flexible than the DDRC-88D.

Alternatively if you are only using a computer as a source run Dirac on your computer and use a RPi4 running CamillaDSP in gadget mode (although I am sure there are other ways to implement both Dirac and x-overs on a single computer).

If you are set on the DDRC-88D you can use a U-DIO8 as an 8 channel AES or SPDIF to USB capture device as mentioned previously in this thread with a RPi4 running CamillaDSP the captured signal to the DM7 output.

I think part of the problem with the DM7 is requires some out of the box thinking to integrate in to a system but it definitely can be done.

Michael

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
So this will basically work with two things, a pc or I would also assume that volumio primo streamer since it can feed a dac via usb.

Just saw the review and I feel it was a huge miss with spdif since all tv's have that for certain. HDMI i understand based upon licensing, but this would have been a huge seller if it had that too. Also see the AES/EBU perspective too. I got a primo, but honestly dont see myself buying this besides for home theater or if I had speakers in my ceiling and I am a crackhead audiophile XD

Also, I think this would be great for a party or large gathering where you want to setup 3 or more speakers

MCH

Major Contributor
I bought a used 2x4 HD per your suggestion to do the same thing on a tighter budget: toslink > ddrc24 dirac > usb > rpi camilladsp > usb multichannel dac. Looking forward to setting it up :D

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So this will basically work with two things, a pc or I would also assume that volumio primo streamer since it can feed a dac via usb.

Just saw the review and I feel it was a huge miss with spdif since all tv's have that for certain. HDMI i understand based upon licensing, but this would have been a huge seller if it had that too. Also see the AES/EBU perspective too. I got a primo, but honestly dont see myself buying this besides for home theater or if I had speakers in my ceiling and I am a crackhead audiophile XD

Also, I think this would be great for a party or large gathering where you want to setup 3 or more speakers

How about you read the thread (including the post right above your post!) and see the plethora of ways you can use SPDIF / AES / HDMI with this device? If you can capture your desired input signal you can route that input signal to the DM7 outputs with something as simple as a RPI4 running CamillaDSP.

Michael

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a used 2x4 HD per your suggestion to do the same thing in a tighter budget: toslink > ddrc24 dirac > usb > rpi camilladsp > usb multichannel dac. Looking forward to setting it up :D

Yes, this was my first thought as well but with a straight USB DAC you run in to issues with running Dirac as the DDRC-24 needs to be connected to your PC / Mac.

If your multichannel DAC is an audio interface with analog inputs this is not a huge deal because you can use the analog outputs of the DDRC-24 in to the analog inputs of the interface when running Dirac and then switch to bi-directional USB once you have everything dialed in. But with a straight USB DAC you cannot do this so you need some way of getting the Dirac processed signal to the RPi4 while the source Dirac device is still connected to a PC / Mac.

Michael

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just saw the review and I feel it was a huge miss with spdif since all tv's have that for certain.
How do you propose an SPDIF signal to transfer 8-ch from your TV? Where is that "huge miss" please enlighten us.

MCH

Major Contributor
Yes, this was my first thought as well but with a straight USB DAC you run in to issues with running Dirac as the DDRC-24 needs to be connected to your PC / Mac.

If your multichannel DAC is an audio interface with analog inputs this is not a huge deal because you can use the analog outputs of the DDRC-24 in to the analog inputs of the interface when running Dirac and then switch to bi-directional USB once you have everything dialed in. But with a straight USB DAC you cannot do this so you need some way of getting the Dirac processed signal to the RPi4 while the source Dirac device is still connected to a PC / Mac.

Michael
Yes sure, it is all sorted out. I will use my motu m4 to set up dirac (only 2 channels) through the analog inputs and do the xovers in camilla.
I like the idea of having a black box (literally) with dirac all set up and being able to plug whatever usb dac in the future to come. On top of that, the total budget for the dirac mod is 360 euros. Really hope it works

dartinbout

For all of you wanting this to be the DAC 8 Pro, I will be selling mine as soon as I integrate my DM7 and burn in the 6" TRS to XLR cables for a few hundred hours to lift the Topping veil, widen the sound stage and get the USB to work on my Amiga.

MacCali

Major Contributor
How about you read the thread (including the post right above your post!) and see the plethora of ways you can use SPDIF / AES / HDMI with this device? If you can capture your desired input signal you can route that input signal to the DM7 outputs with something as simple as a RPI4 running CamillaDSP.

Michael
I read the first 5 pages and gave up LOL, I see what you are saying. Seems like a mission from hell when you can basically get an AVR for around 1000 with all these features yet not the same measured performance, like a denon

Edit "I've done this exact setup (DDRC-24 and M4), it works :). Once you get your head around the signal routing it opens up a lot of options with multichannel USB DACs."

About how long did it take you to learn that? and your source is a PC?

Last edited:
Reactions: MCH

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes sure, it is all sorted out. I will use my motu m4 to set up dirac (only 2 channels) and do the xovers in camilla.
I like the idea of having a black box (literally) with dirac all set up and being able to plug whatever usb dac in the future to come. On top of that, the total budget for the dirac mod is 360 euros. Really hope it works

I've done this exact setup (DDRC-24 and M4), it works :). Once you get your head around the signal routing it opens up a lot of options with multichannel USB DACs.

If it seems like I am ranting and raving about this stuff it is because I spent a lot of time and money DIYing a miniSHARC setup with 8 channel AES outputs before switching to a RPi4 running CamillaDSP going straight to a USB DAC. The RPi4 does more than the miniSHARC setup at a fraction of the cost.

Michael

Top Bottom