• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

Katji

Major Contributor
Does it have individual channel volume control?
Or a simple volume control for everything?Can't find this piece of info which is crucial for some applications.
No chance of even basic DSP?
EAPO / camillaDSP / whatever on Apple MacOS.
Other use cases involve mixer software. (music/content producers

I have a global volume control - at the source. i don't need a chain of them, like source (OS) + DAC and so on. Amplifiers in speakers, gain or volume control is there.
Also have it at source as in [
Other use cases involve mixer software. ]

Sokel

Master Contributor
Your right about everything thats why certain devices must include certain features.
Even the motherboard multichannel audio always includes a set of certain features and some much more than that.

kenshone

That can be done but it's risky,probably Okto is still the only way to go.

TBH I have the budget to pay much more for an Okto, and I would consider it if they were ever in stock. However, I CBA to monitor the company's supply. Okto won't make a wait list or give production predictions for some reason. I emailed the company asking for an estimate of the next production run and got no response.

Okay, then I'll take the other candidate at the efficient frontier of price vs. performance. I ordered my DM7 before Amir posted his review.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Other use cases involve mixer software. (music/content producers

I have a global volume control - at the source. i don't need a chain of them, like source (OS) + DAC and so on. Amplifiers in speakers, gain or volume control is there.
Also have it at source as in [
Other use cases involve mixer software. ]
In a thoughtful active setup the balance between high and low's can be handy for late night listening (I know it can be as a preset in software).
For vandals like me thought a virtual slider in software is equal to a horror film,I love my woofers,my ears and I'm aware of my clumsy self :cool:

balletboy

Unless you already have a free laptop or computer lying around, in which case it's cheaper to go the HTPC route.

Modern AVRs support more codecs, such as object-based (aka height support), which HTPCs cannot (or at least not without spending a LOT of licensing money). That's is their primary technical differentiator from a PC based system. The customer has to decide whether that's worth it, because object-based encodings aren't that common. In fact, a nontrivial player in the space, Auro 3d, recently declared bankruptcy.
I've never played a computer game, never done home music production. Wired in an AVR system 25 years ago and used it about twice, it was quickly removed. For me, "Home Cinema" requires a dedicated home cinema room. I now use Apple TV+ that sends the picture to the TV screen and sound to 8 wireless speakers by AirPlay. The DSP in the speakers give an immersive feel with stereo sound rather than using multi-channel sound.

There is a lot of effort behind Atmos (Amazon etc.) and I'm curious how it will take off. For me the key is that it has to be wireless, because people just don't want wired multi-channel in their living spaces. It's a mess and doesn't work with kids or pets, unless you wire in when building, otherwise installation is very expensive.

The other option is to go to the cinema, which we prefer.

This DM7 seems more an audio component if you can find a use for it, not a consumer audio device of any general practical use.

Sokel

Master Contributor
TBH I have the budget to pay much more for an Okto, and I would consider it if they were ever in stock. However, I CBA to monitor the company's supply. Okto won't make a wait list or give production predictions for some reason. I emailed the company asking for an estimate of the next production run and got no response.

Okay, then I'll take the other candidate at the efficient frontier of price vs. performance. I ordered my DM7 before Amir posted his review.
I hope you have fun!
I think I'll wait,to tell my sin I have fallen in love with the looks of a black Okto,it's important to me to look nice too.

Zoomer

individual channel VC is the very least.
That's typically what you would do in software on your PC
Not to pick on this comment specifically, but its illustrative of a lot of comments that complain of this device not being an AVR.
It's not meant to be. Use case is to have a PC as a source and prepare the signal there whichever way you want before shoving it into this DAC.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Not to pick on this comment specifically, but its illustrative of a lot of comments that complain of this device not being an AVR.
It's not meant to be. Use case is to have a PC as a source and prepare the signal there whichever way you want before shoving it into this DAC.
My use case is not AVR,i'm away of the people with the many speakers :p,my use case is an active crossover so I can replace my dac,my pre,and my existing analog electronic one.
So you can understand why the comments.

Katji

Major Contributor
For vandals like me thought a virtual slider in software is equal to a horror film,
It's slightly a digression but...i am thinking of a lot of content creator use cases - and integrating a subwoofer is relevant there. On the music producer side, they typically have the hardware mixer on the desk too. [ok, maybe not typically/generally, but many do.]

But you got me with the on-screen slider volume. i hate it. The Windows style type, and most mixer software, only some few have bigger slider knobs.
But the rotary knob/dial with a mouse is much worse, it's ridiculous.
WARNING : Never install Volume2 software by Alexander Irza, to get something better than Windows volume control. It appears to be the best, and all good reviews and thanks, but it is malware [...]

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor

The less expensive AVR theme, alternative to expensive DENON/Marantz, Yamaha, etc. with Dolby and HDMI licence/proprietary etc. ...AVR is not Topping's business.

Sokel

Master Contributor
It's slightly a digression but...i am thinking of a lot of content creator use cases - and integrating a subwoofer is relevant there. On the music producer side, they typically have the hardware mixer on the desk too.

But you got me with the on-screen slider volume. i hate it. The Windows style type, and most mixer software, only some few have bigger slider knobs.
But the rotary knob/dial with a mouse is much worse, it's ridiculous.
WARNING : Never install Volume2 software by Alexander Irza, to get something better than Windows volume control. It appears to be the best, and all good reviews and thanks, but it is malware [...]
To give you a hint,I have changed the pots of the analog crossover with multiturn ones so I can feel safer adjusting them (precision aside) :cool:

Burki

I'm not really interested in the DM7, because I'd the Okto Research DAC8 PRO and now I'm using the exaSound e68 together with the Emotiva XMC-1. My point using an external DAC is multichannel DSD with Roon.

But some thoughts: IMHO the Topping DAC is very limited in the usage.
Using it together with a regular A/V Preamp is problematic, because the DAC hasn't any unbalanced outputs.
Also having no control about things like channel mapping (in there the Okto DAC is really great) or volume trimming for each channel (you need an additional PC and also for DSD a resampling) would be for me a showstopper.

With DACs like the Okto you can use a small USB-Bridge as source (with the exaSound DAC you'll need their streamer or a MAC/PC) and that's all...

Reactions: Ein

martijn86

To those who want to integrate MiniDSP, you could use something like this https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88a.

Chain would be PC -> DM7 -> DDRC-88A -> Amplification -> Speakers.

Alternatively, if you want to keep a fully balanced audio chain and DSP each channel, I believe you could use software like JRiver (which you can optionally integrate with Dirac Live Multichannel).
That would require a PC instead of a user-friendly streamer. Ideally, I'd like to keep the DSP part in the digital domain and let a dedicated DAC do the translation. The Balanced MiniDSP Flex has a great built-in DAC, so I'm just whining and adding complexity, but I'm always looking forward to the next 'perfect setup'. You can bet your #ss off that if Topping ever releases a product like this with AES/EBU (or SP/DIF) IN and Dirac built-in, I'm one of the first on the pre-ordering list ;).

Trell

Major Contributor
For me, "Home Cinema" requires a dedicated home cinema room. I now use Apple TV+ that sends the picture to the TV screen and sound to 8 wireless speakers by AirPlay. The DSP in the speakers give an immersive feel with stereo sound rather than using multi-channel sound.

I've a 5.2 setup in my living room that functions quite well as a "Home Cinema". Very few have a dedicated room for home cinema as such.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In theory this would be a direct replacement for my ultra reliable Motu Ultralite Mk5. Just very little information as usual so far on what it will really support USB wise. Is it fully Class 2 compliant where a RPi will work with it? Does the volume control work in conjunction with Roon?

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
An example would be providing a signal to the Linkwitz Lx mini DIY two way speakers combined with a pair of subs, which will require 6 separate channels.

I have been procrastinating for a long time to build these as a retirement project, and initially thought I would need to combine something like 3 pairs of Topping D50s DACs with 3 pairs of stereo amps.

However, the DM7 combined with a Buckeye 6 channel amp, with say 2 x Hypex 252 modules for the tweeters and 4 x Hypex 502 modules for the woofers, would provide a simple and elegant solution and eliminate a lot of clutter. I have no excuses now.

Thanks again Amir for introducing us to such a large range of cost effective high performance gear. This site is exactly what our hobby needs.
Hi I canot see the benefit of this example, because you create an multi ADC ,DAC chain. Attched the Hypex block diagram. This explains the internal Hypex structure.
Please help me to understand your example.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-12 143352.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-12 143352.png
    295.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Missed opportunity by not punting a sync/clock and and digital input on it like AES11, EBU or even ADAT.

Adding support for digital in, apart from the existing USB, for eighth channels would be nice but the price will increase quite a bit for EBU/AES3 and ADAT. With the current size of the device you’ll need a breakout cable for eighth channels of AES3.

From a consumer point of view a HDMI port accepting unencrypted LPCM would make more sense, I think.

WeiW

Interesting product. I really hope a similar product that take HDMI input with ARC function. Also can do DSP/EQ via mic measurement like what a HDMI receiver does. This way I can then hook the 8-channel DAC with Genelec system for great movie experience. Come on Topping you can do it!

Top Bottom