• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vandersteen VLR Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 225 89.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 7.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way for a very similar price you can get also a pair of active Seas coaxial monitors with FIR DSP from a known German manufacturer (KS Digital is the sibling company of the known Backes & Müller active home hifi loudspeakers):

Interestingly, they have the same kind of directivity issues:
1656920555459.png

The issues are pushed up quite a bit higher in frequency though, so that is a major plus.

uwotm8

they have the same kind of directivity issues
Well as fas as only KEF did something to make coaxials great again, others (even Morel have some Dynaudioaxials, and there's a ton of SB Acoustics-grade or even these in JBL 104's) are all the same, spiky and uneven

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interestingly, they have the same kind of directivity issues:
View attachment 216332
The issues are pushed up quite a bit higher in frequency though, so that is a major plus.
Almost all coaxials except the current Genelec and KEF ones have some upper dispersion issues, although the above KS one at around 10 kHz (similar to the Kali Audio one) cannot be compared and is by far not as problematic and audible like the directvity missmatch of this Vandersteen between 1 and 4 kHz which could be corrected to a big part with a better crossover design.

Sokel

Master Contributor
The simple fact of the woofer being “on” the baffle instead of flush is an almost immediate sign that the response will be jagged. Even moreso with the frame being cut to fit on the sides

I was always wondering about that,lots of speakers have their woofer on baffle instead of flush,JBL's for example and lots more.
Being only woofers (not coaxial) is the point I think.

DanielT

Major Contributor

Attachments

• 100x40 rounded.png
    100x40 rounded.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 100x40 rounded diff.png
    100x40 rounded diff.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 73

uwotm8

Where are you seeing that? I see $1,850 which is what I wrote in the review.
VLR Wood  Vandersteen Audio - Google Chrome.jpg

Actually I got how it works!
1)
VLR Wood  Vandersteen Audio 1.jpg

2)
VLR Wood  Vandersteen Audio 2.jpg

3)

Attachments

• VLR Wood  Vandersteen Audio 3.jpg
    VLR Wood Vandersteen Audio 3.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

poxymoron

Shameful really to have such poor performance for such a high price. I know we see this all the time, so it's nothing new, but at least other poor performing overpriced speakers might be something you enjoy looking at (think most of enjoy looking at attractive speakers). With the grill on, these remind me of my old Mission 780SEs, which I bought for IR£230 back in 1994. The Missions probably performed better.

F1308

Major Contributor
The simple fact of the woofer being “on” the baffle instead of flush is an almost immediate sign that the response will be jagged. Even moreso with the frame being cut to fit on the sides
vandersteen-vlr-ct-speakers-driver-2.png.ashx
But most people will think they are so heavily engineered on purpose, a must have to grant the aerodynamics...
Perfectly round woofers are nearly everywhere, if at all allowed to be seen behind the curtains grills provide most of the time.
A visual trick and that's all.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Richard Vandersteen is an early advocate of design based on measurement. So would have expected these to align better with ASR’s philosophy. Makes me wonder whether the grille is an integral part of the design and might need to be tested with it in place. @amirm was your testing done with the grille on?

raindance

Major Contributor
I believe the grill is supposed to be in place when in use.

I'm surprised about the flat in room response; in my room (I had the VLR Wood) they weren't bright, but there were obvious holes in the response, making certain things sound weird.

BTW there is fairly decent bass only if you place the speakers against the wall and the manual talks about intentionally shelving the low frequencies with this use in mind.

Some folks were a little hurt by my scathing review of these speakers on ASR, but they're really bad.

Looks like my estimate of 82 dB per watt without measurement was pretty darn close!

peniku8

Forum Donor
vandersteen-vlr-ct-speakers-driver-2.png.ashx
Jesus, you can even see the wood panels through the paint. Not only is it performing terribly acoustically, but the build quality is also worse than most DIYers' first attempts...
They would be bad at 180$ a pair, let alone 10x that price.

tvih

Richard Vandersteen is an early advocate of design based on measurement. So would have expected these to align better with ASR’s philosophy. Makes me wonder whether the grille is an integral part of the design and might need to be tested with it in place. @amirm was your testing done with the grille on?
It looks like a regular ol' cloth grille though? The effect should be basically nonexistent.

Holmz

Major Contributor
That impedance curve, good Lord. I've heard Vandersteens were hard to drive but that's ridiculous. @amirm , do you have one with the impedance axis zoomed in more so we can better see what's going on?

Going down to 2 Hz seems a bit of overkill, and that skews the data right off of the plot.
There is over 4 octaves of garbage on the left, 2-4, 4-8, 8-16, And 16-32 Hz.

- 20 Hz would be too low.
- And 40 is probably better in general.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Occasionally, we need an accurate measurement of a speaker like this Vandersteen model to drive home the rule that price means almost nothing in how a speaker performs. And, just as important, the mistaken notion that our ears alone are worthy judges of accurate sound playback, especially when we know the device's price.

On the opposite end of the quality vs. price scale are all the attempts to make a fine hat from a dead cow's udder. We see just as many of these, coupled with the glowing words of the tinkerer/inventor.

Some audiophiles cling tightly to the notion that they can simply buy their way to accurate music playback. Bless their wallets. Others among us have a lifelong compulsion that they can luck into a good speaker design using inexpensive parts and some wood butchering. Bless their table saws and glue clamps.

For me and my homestead, I believe in peer-reviewed measurements and double-blind listening testing.
Unfortunately, we have no ready source for the double-blind comparative information.
Et sic est.

-Just one man's view.

itz_all_about_the_music

And possibly "...meant to be put onto a bookshelf close to the rear boundary. " as stated in the manufacturer's website. In my observations here, @amirm has not gone back to retest anything unless there's a formal pushback from the manufacture on the results of his initial test(s).

Top Bottom