• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vintage Speakers Worth Owning Today?

Powerbench

I've always wanted to check out these Kef 104/2s. They're not quite classic but I'd say vintage.

View attachment 200388

They're a different design with bass drivers connected to each other by a rod internally. I forget what the design is called tho...
One of the best esp either the bi-wired version, Raymond’s Cooke version with the Kube.
Don’t forget the 105.3 and the 107s!!!

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have some old kenwood ls1200 speakers. they sound nice, the midrange is interesting as it has some sort of pole piece in the center. I replaced the paper tweeter with a bc25tg.

These guys seemed to be one of the better speakers kenwood made. According surround woofer is neat. kind of bass lean as the drivers suspension has loosened up dramatically.

Something about these big ole woofers I think it's a 10" but not sure. Definitely want to build a nice 3 way some day.

itz_all_about_the_music

Not really "worth owning today" (I mean, there are better value alternatives in 2022), but I enjoyed my time with the Acoustic Research AR3a with JansZen 1 30 Electrostatic Tweeter Arrays.
1654434646119.png

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
If the original premise is to sell for profit, I wouldn't know. For music reproduction, I hope not.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
My QUAD ESL-63s were worth rehabbing, and still sound great on the jazz I love. I don't really care for ugly, thumpy, bass-heavy rawk, pop, hip-hop, whatever "music", so these are perfect for my needs.

itz_all_about_the_music

bjmsam

Maybe click the link in my post for a list of recent sales at those prices.

itz_all_about_the_music

Maybe click the link in my post for a list of recent sales at those prices.
Maybe I should have clarified with "not really worth listening to today" as opposed to "really worth owning today".

When closely reading those recent listings/sales, one should conclude the wood boxes with paper cones/domes attached and some passive electronics inside (i.e., the semi-antique AR3a's) were not purchased for listening to music. They're in various degrees of disrepair, and some are Frankenspeakers having been modded with substitute drivers.

No surprise that AR3's go for more since Villchur's box is on display at the Smithsonian Museum. But no one is listenng to it. They look at it then walk past it.

Museum pieces, collectibles, but not competitive transducers in 2022.

One man's junk is another man's treasure. Check out mongo, collectible junk from New York's Sanitation Department, here:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My Atwater-Kent / RCA Horn was some dudes Hi-Fi back in the mid 1920's.
Still works though I haven't fired it up in a long time.
IMG_1835.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

Neddy

OMG AND a vintage Telephone Jack, too!!!:eek:
;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OMG AND a vintage Telephone Jack, too!!!:eek:
;)
But of course. LOL
Neddy, have you put up any photos, etc of your system?
I'm curious what a JBL L200/L300/4367 hybrid is all about.

Neddy

Sure, but are hard to get really good shots of - something about the blue color of the foam grills, and black baffles/speakers.

So these are my original 70s L200s, which I pretty immediately upgraded to 'near L300s' by adding that crossover (N8000) and 077/2405 supertweeter.
This work was done at JBL's factory recommendation by a factory trained tech.

But the tubbiness of the original 15" woofers (which otherwise sound really nice) remained.
(I now have 2 sets of those old ones spare, if anyone wants to play with them).

When I finally got a chance to hear Scott (SRM51555) DIY M2s with 2216NDs, I realized those might solve the tubbiness issue.
By then the 4367 was out, with the 2216ND-1 variant.
(Note that the L200 original woofer - LE15B) Pro number was 2216!)
So I took the ri$k and ordered one.

Turns out the ND-1 drops right into place - same mounting holes, same screws, same gasket!! Only 40 years in time separating the designs!

Then I took some measurements, expecting to have to re-tune the ports (slide trombone wise)...but nope, they are pretty close to drop in replacements!
AND - with a bit of EQ - they go flat to 22hz.

So I ordered the second one, by which time they'd gone up in price, of course.

So, basically, a 70s JBL cabinet, with the original CD/Horn, L300 super tweeter/xover added, and woofer (much) moderized.

Compared to building my own DIY M2, this is SO much simpler, and has that beautiful JBL walnut veneer and cabinet quality.

Scott has me considering replacing the original horn/supertweeter with a single 2450SL, but we'll see.
Currently I'm doing crossovers and room/EQ via Venu360, but am looking into opamps, or Flex alternatives.

However, neither of the above changes is due to any obvous perceived 'deficits' - they simply sound fantastic.
I've just had them so long I can't resist messing with them!

(THere's also a long write up on audiokarma about them, as well).

PS. I know about trying to build one myself, as I decided to clone one for a 19" audio rack. It was a TOTAL PITA to build!

Here are a few shots:
L200 and DIY 19" audio cabinet/s
_1030092.JPG

Full FOH speaker set up (the orange L25s are TV speakers)

_1030086.JPG

LE15B vs 2216ND1:
_1020625 R SM.JPG

also weighs about 1/3rd as much, tho is deeper.

L200 w/mods
2216ND installed.JPG

(Original L200 LX16 crossover is disconnected, system is biamped; LF amp direct to 2216ND1, and HF to N8000 xover for horn and supertweeter).

Minimal investement, over 40+ years, and LOTs of enjoyment.

Are then 4355 equivalent? NO. Not even close - I can STILL hear the thunder from those. :)
Are they M2 equivalent? NO
Are they 4367 equivalent - probably not.
But darned darned close to the M2, for a lot less $ and effort.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Well, I submit just about any of the old line of ADS...I love my L520s and L420s, always on the hunt for a 3-way set...they sing!
For very small enclosure speakers, the KEF Coda series (90s) is cheap and excellent. Surprisingly good bass for the size.
For a larger bass hit, I still use my restored Advent 5002s. A solid speaker, maybe lacking a bit on the very top end but otherwise all good.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But darned darned close to the M2, for a lot less $ and effort.
Speaker tweakin, LOL
Very interesting journey, thanks.
I did a bit of the same with my Klipsch La Scala's over a 30+ year ownership.
Had to give them up due to unmanageable size in my new retirement digs..

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaker tweakin, LOL
Very interesting journey, thanks.
I did a bit of the same with my Klipsch La Scala's over a 30+ year ownership.
Had to give them up due to unmanageable size in my new retirement digs..
How do you rate the La Scala compared to your JBL twin 8" woofer towers?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How do you rate the La Scala compared to your JBL twin 8" woofer towers?
The JBL's have much smoother FR. almost warm sounding to me.
The Klipsch always retained a small amount of edge or bite in the upper mids.
Both deliver awesome inner detail
The rest is a bit apples / oranges to compare. Way different size rooms, one a 2 channel, the other a 5.2.4 multich.
Either are capable of moving large amounts of air with ease.
Both systems were also augmented by dual subwoofers.
BTW the JBL 3600's have 3, 6.5' woofers each.

Top Bottom