• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ascend Acoustics new Klippel optimized speaker

mj30250

Hey guys do you think that it's worth to sell my kef R3 for these? I think they might be more adapt for.me for the power handling, as i would like to use them for movies too,i think that they can handle more than my R3, but i don't know about the directivity factor, i like that the kef are more direct but i don't know hou much could change between them, thanks

The LX is capable of significantly more bass output even into mid-bass frequencies. Depending on how you are handling bass management, this could be a big advantage or a minor one. Above bass frequencies, it's a very close sounding speaker to the 2EX, although the LX has wider vertical dispersion (dome tweeter vs narrow RAAL ribbon).

Here is a blind comparison of the 2EX and R3:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What's crazy is that the big audio magazines don't use the NFS. You and Amir have this ridiculous CNC acoustic platform in your garage. Meanwhile Stereophile relies on John Atkinson, some burning sage, a twenty year old copy of CLIO and some excel spreadsheets.
If by “copy” you meant CLIO is software only you are mistaken. It’s a complete test system consists of a card (or external box), calibrated microphone and software to control them. In fact the software is free to download.

I own a “copy” :)

Ciobi69

The LX is capable of significantly more bass output even into mid-bass frequencies. Depending on how you are handling bass management, this could be a big advantage or a minor one. Above bass frequencies, it's a very close sounding speaker to the 2EX, although the LX has wider vertical dispersion (dome tweeter vs narrow RAAL ribbon).

Here is a blind comparison of the 2EX and R3:

Thanks i did read a little and will continue more,as in my case i have a subwoofer and Dirac live,i imagine the change between the 2 wouldn't be Soo drastic but! I am sure that the ascendo could smash in HT application as I've read they support a lot of watts and they have low distortion

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They're almost identical.

View attachment 196825
Except the bass difference which could be equalized, the directivity is quite different between 3-10 kHz. Also being non-coaxial the vertical directivity which quite gets hidden in the total spinorama will be quite different, not talking about IMD which can also have significant differences in the mids due to 2 vs 3 way.

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
Except the bass difference which could be equalized, the directivity is quite different between 3-10 kHz. Also being non-coaxial and having a long ribbon the vertical directivity which quite gets hidden in the total spinorama will be quite different, not talking about IMD which can also have significant differences in the mids due to 2 vs 3 way.

I thought he was asking about the Sierra LX, not the EX. The LX uses a dome tweeter, while the EX uses the ribbon.

Ciobi69

I thought he was asking about the Sierra LX, not the EX. The LX uses a dome tweeter, while the EX uses the ribbon.
Iwas referring about the LX that is now on pre order ,i did send an email to them for a quote about shipping to Italy,guess they will cost 30% more to me ,with import tax duty, i paid my R3 1000 euros ,i had a good deal,i might resell them without losing money, but i have to think about it, the R3 has the advantage that i can use a bookshelf horizontally as a center channel , that is one hell of a good center with almost the same vertical and horizontal directivity,but this is another topic

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Except the bass difference which could be equalized, the directivity is quite different between 3-10 kHz. Also being non-coaxial the vertical directivity which quite gets hidden in the total spinorama will be quite different, not talking about IMD which can also have significant differences in the mids due to 2 vs 3 way.

Well they're almost the same in the context of them being different speakers with different transducers. Within that context they're remarkably similar PIR wise.

OP
R

RMW_NJ

I just took delivery of my pair this morning. The bass is almost comical (in a good way) from a speaker this size. I have the Buchardt S400 and Sierra 2EX and blows both of them out of the water in this regard.

mj30250

Mine are due to arrive tomorrow. I have a pair of 2EXs in a bit of a compromised space which forces me to keep them rather close together as compared to the seating distance. I'm curious to see if the increased dispersion of the LXs creates a larger soundstage, which is really the only aspect of the 2EXs I find somewhat lacking, but that's largely a result of their positioning.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mine are due to arrive tomorrow. I have a pair of 2EXs in a bit of a compromised space which forces me to keep them rather close together as compared to the seating distance. I'm curious to see if the increased dispersion of the LXs creates a larger soundstage, which is really the only aspect of the 2EXs I find somewhat lacking, but that's largely a result of their positioning.
it will be interesting to see if the compromises (if any) in the new speakers overcome the advantages or vice versa.. i have a feeling the 2ex's are going to be hard to beat out...

Haint

I just took delivery of my pair this morning. The bass is almost comical (in a good way) from a speaker this size. I have the Buchardt S400 and Sierra 2EX and blows both of them out of the water in this regard.

How about posting a picture of them? Curious what the final product looks like.

Ciobi69

The only bad thing about those speakers is that they need huge power to play right

mj30250

83dB (anechoic) sensitivity isn't too bad, and they never dip below 5 ohms. With subs integrated, a decent AVR should have no issue driving these loudly unless you are sitting at quite some distance. Running full range, something like a pair of Outlaw monoblocks, Monolith 2X200, or an Emotiva BasX should provide plenty of headroom for most situations without the need for a big investment.

Last edited:

Ciobi69

83dB (anechoic) sensitivity isn't too bad, and they never dip below 5 ohms. With subs integrated, a decent AVR should have no issue driving these loudly unless you are sitting at quite some distance. Running full range, something like a pair of Outlaw monoblocks, Monolith 2X200, or an Emotiva BasX should provide plenty of headroom for most situations without the need for a big investment.
Ive saw something like 81.5 db if I'm not wrong

mj30250

Ive saw something like 81.5 db if I'm not wrong

Ascend lists them as 83dB anechoic (87dB in-room).

But even if we assume only 81dB sensitivity, a 100 watt amplifier could drive them to 96dB at 11 feet away. That's very loud. And most decent AVRs / dedicated power amps should allow for higher dynamic peaks of over over 100dB in this situation.

These are certainly more power-hungry than many bookshelves, but claiming that they need "huge power" to play right is a bit of an overstatement unless you are in a more extreme situation, i.e. sitting very far away or driving a bunch of these in a multichannel setup.

muad

Right now I'm flip flopping between these, and the new BMRs (adjusted tonal balance). I like the ls50 metas but it has no grille and I miss wide dispersion sound.

Ciobi69

Ascend lists them as 83dB anechoic (87dB in-room).

But even if we assume only 81dB sensitivity, a 100 watt amplifier could drive them to 96dB at 11 feet away. That's very loud. And most decent AVRs / dedicated power amps should allow for higher dynamic peaks of over over 100dB in this situation.

These are certainly more power-hungry than many bookshelves, but claiming that they need "huge power" to play right is a bit of an overstatement unless you are in a more extreme situation, i.e. sitting very far away or driving a bunch of these in a multichannel setup.
Yea i am exagerating a bit too much sorry

Haint

Right now I'm flip flopping between these, and the new BMRs (adjusted tonal balance). I like the ls50 metas but it has no grille and I miss wide dispersion sound.

What are the new adjusted tonal balance BMRs? What was changed? Not seeing any mention on PHA's website.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What are the new adjusted tonal balance BMRs? What was changed? Not seeing any mention on PHA's website.
not much afaik... new bass driver that apparently brings the sensitivity up a bit .. but the bmr/ tweeter drivers are the same as they've always been...

Top Bottom