• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What gear you wouldn't buy because of its name or cult status.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If a piece of gear does what I want, I don't think I'd let brand dissuade me.
McIntosh I can see how it rubs some people the wrong way, but man I've had a couple of their tuners and while there are alternatives those were super sweet tuners.

I'd not be ashamed to own anything Spectral has made.

I've heard Wilsons that were good, but that one takes care of itself on being over-priced for performance offered. OTOH if I got some kind of super deal on some I'd go for it. Then I'd have the dilemma of whether to keep it or sell it for a profit and spend those funds on something else.

There is plenty I wouldn't buy due to poor performance, but not just because of its name or cult status.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Mola mola, sounds like infectious disease.
Denafrips = virus.
Edifier, do the chinese just open English dictionary randomly and pick whatever?
Denafrips is for me the worst-sounding name of any audio brand (and by any I mean including Schiit).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The logic behind hating a consumer product because of its name escapes me.
+1 in fact I kind of like quirky names though some I don't care for as much.

I think of the Burl Bomber or the Burl Mothership, kind of weird, but kind of cool. Or something by Lake People or Crane Song. Anyone heard of the Leak Sandwich speaker? What is wrong with Mola Mola....I don't get it?

Now Schiit I might make an exception for on this one brand.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
The logic behind hating a consumer product because of its name escapes me.

I think you can hate the name without hating the product. If you like the sound you can always put some tape over the logo when you expect visitors.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I saw Polk commercials in the 80s (?) I remember the guy wearing a lab coat. And at that moment I was it was manipulation.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I know there's a lot of Mac hate, but I would love to have an MC275.

And I would love to see one of them tested.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I’d never have…*cough* … coffin-sized speakers! Well, maybe for an adult. That played in the NBA. That wasn’t Muggsy Bogues.
;)
I am also a member of that club, as I've mentioned elsewhere on this august set of forums (fora?).

Duplexcabinets090510.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
When I saw Polk commercials in the 80s (?) I remember the guy wearing a lab coat. And at that moment I was it was manipulation.

but Matthew could relax, too...

jugglypolk.jpg

Now, I do realize that some audiophiles prefer their loudspeaker gurus to be a bit more serious-minded...

:cool:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With a little 'badge engineering', stupid names like 'Topping' can be Sony, Yamaha, or whatever you want them to be... ;)

View attachment 198821
Lol... I looked and admired the badge collection and thought which one do I identify with the most. The choice was Yamaha. They make motorcycles, snowmobiles, engines. musical instruments and of course stereo gear. All of which I have experience with and enjoyed.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Wish Yamaha made cars... and I do know they've made some auto engines...

billyjoebob

My list is rather long and include mostly HEA brands.. (High End Audio)

Wilson Audio... Prejudiced against them even when I was a hardcore subjectivitst.
Krell .... Same prejudices, even when I was a subjectivist.
FM Acoustics Hated then as of now, because their cult status and their price. Unobtainium unless yu are in Asia and have the considerable means
Dar Tzeel Nothing that measured so strangely should have such a following and of course price..
Zu Can't understand that something that sounds so bad has a following either...
REL Overpriced subwoofers with pedestrians performance
LAMM Industries Overpriced, cheap looking product and any time you have ... Mea culp ... Back in the days perhaps 30 years ago, i heard their 18-watt driving a very high sensitivity loudspeaker and thought I had to have it until a friend had one in his system and ...
AudioQuest .....
SYnergistic Research perhaps the quintessential snake oil and BS peddler HEA. Very well know in HEA quarters, would say a bit more prestigious in those quarters than AQ
Linn Sondek Some people actually believe their gear to be superior
Marantz Can they take their time and just make their products better?
PS Audio Wellllllllll
Devialet Decent performance but disappointing overall. Push the right buttons, better performance can be had for much less...
Harbeth A cult IMHO
B&W Another cult
Chord More cult
NAIM Iconoclasts and Cult
Audio Note Japan and/or UK ... Expensive nonsenses
MIT Cables Believe they shouldn't be allowed to sell anything. Pure Snake Oil...
Tech DAS Took the Micro-seiki designs of yore and just made them very, expensive.. H-expensive :)
---

I'll stop, else I may have to list )almost) all the HEA that I know or know of. :mad:

Peace.
Wow!
Is there anything that you like?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I’ve been going back and forth on JBL.

When I was a kid my dad bought a wonderful and shiny Denon set with JBL floorstanding speakers. They made a big big impression on me. Years later, when I was a student living on my own, he got something else and passed his old gear on to me. I can still remember how underwhelmed I was when looking at these speakers up close. They were a bit worn so didn’t look the part any longer and actually they didn’t sound all that good eiher. Ok, but really nothing special. Then someone told me that JBL means junk but loud, and I thought yeah that sums it up nicely. However I’m gaining new appreciation for the brand especially due to the reviews on this site.

Reactions: JRS

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve been going back and forth on JBL.

When I was a kid my dad bought a wonderful and shiny Denon set with JBL floorstanding speakers. They made a big big impression on me. Years later, when I was a student living on my own, he got something else and passed his old gear on to me. I can still remember how underwhelmed I was when looking at these speakers up close. They were a bit worn so didn’t look the part any longer and actually they didn’t sound all that good eiher. Ok, but really nothing special. Then someone told me that JBL means junk but loud, and I thought yeah that sums it up nicely. However I’m gaining new appreciation for the brand especially due to the reviews on this site.
I've been following JBL home audio speakers for ~37 years and found they offer great value for the kicking butt dollar. Some models more than others but they all pretty much hold their own for the price they expense the customer for them.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
The brand name Revel.

Probably because I’m not a native speaker but there’s really no way you can know how to pronounce it let alone what it is supposed to mean or communicate.

Nothing against their products though. On the contrary.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The brand name Revel.

Probably because I’m not a native speaker but there’s really no way you can know how to pronounce it let alone what it is supposed to mean or communicate.

Nothing against their products though. On the contrary.
Lol.. is it Revel the person or revel as in bask in it's glory or maybe even revealing stuff? It's a multi-faceted brand name for sure.

Top Bottom