• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Reference and Blade Meta announced, but where is the R Meta?????

Jukebox

did you have reference 1s before? if not, did you compare them in person before getting it? I understand its not necessary, but still.. would like to know how it sounded differently to you.
I had on hand the older Ref1 and Ref3 for couple of years. Don't have them anymore to AB, but for me Ref1 where a bit to warmish and laid back. Nothing wrong with this but I definitely prefer the new Metas

Jukebox

Ohh this is fast and great. Congratulations! Please enjoy the true Reference.

Question: is that shadow flare “smooth” because its the Meta version or it has always been like that in that white/blue color scheme ? I thought all the Reference line up had that shadow flare cnc milled, hence a different finish with circular machined texture.
I have no idea because it s the first white one I have/see. In this one the shadow flare is similar to the R series, added on...no machine CNC
Also the front baffle is painted in a textured white... almost can't tell is aluminum, only if you see the sides and top of the baffle...I think I would prefer the silvery or black /greyish aluminum look

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I have no idea because it s the first white one I have/see. In this one the shadow flare is similar to the R series, added on...no machine CNC
So only the white references doesn't have the metal shadow flare?
What material is used in the ref white? plastic like the R series?
I had on hand the older Ref1 and Ref3 for couple of years. Don't have them anymore to AB, but for me Ref1 where a bit to warmish and laid back. Nothing wrong with this but I definitely prefer the new Metas
That's a bad news to me, I prefer the old tuning. Sadly the speakers cannot be tuned a little for each user, so people wouldn't complain about a 1dB here or there.
Simple preferences..

Last edited:

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It could still be (probably should be) machined metal, but just coated with paint, which “fills the gaps” of the machining, thus a smooth texture (what paint usually do).

The great Kef Eggs HTS3001se enclosure is made of solid aluminum, and then painted with a shiny laquered finish just to put an example.

Metal can be finished with laquer like paint coatings, its not exclusive of wood cabinets or plastic parts.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
It could still be (probably should be) machined metal, but just coated with paint, which “fills the gaps” of the machining, thus a smooth texture (what paint usually do).

The great Kef Eggs HTS3001se enclosure is made of solid aluminum, and then painted with a shiny laquered finish just to put an example.

Metal can be finished with laquer like paint coatings, its not exclusive of wood cabinets or plastic parts.
Nice, the black/blue looks awesome, hope Kef didn't change the metal shadow flare.

Last edited:

bo_knows

"It could still be (probably should be) machined metal, but just coated with paint, which “fills the gaps” of the machining, thus a smooth texture (what paint usually do)." Not on my nonmeta Ref 3. I can feel the gaps by running my finger over the "shadow flare".
"The great Kef Eggs HTS3001se enclosure is made of solid aluminum" I love mine, they are my surround speakers. :)

Jukebox

"It could still be (probably should be) machined metal, but just coated with paint, which “fills the gaps” of the machining, thus a smooth texture (what paint usually do)." Not on my nonmeta Ref 3. I can feel the gaps by running my finger over the "shadow flare".
Same here, I can fell the gap

Jukebox

That's a bad news to me, I prefer the old tuning. Sadly the speakers cannot be tuned a little for each user, so people wouldn't complain about a 1dB here or there.
Simple preferences..
I will double check the material if it's plastic or metal.
It's not a huge difference in sound signature from the older version. You should like them also

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I will double check the material if it's plastic or metal.
It's not a huge difference in sound signature from the older version. You should like them also
Nice, congratulations for your new speakers.

In the worst case i don't have a problem to add a few filters to make them sound a bit laid back like the older references I like the Ref3
That being said i think there is more interesting aspecs about the new ref meta that I would like to read here :p

Jukebox

Nice, congratulations for your new speakers.

In the worst case i don't have a problem to add a few filters to make them sound a bit laid back like the older references I like the Ref3
That being said i think there is more interesting aspecs about the new ref meta that I would like to read here :p
The fun of discovering a new speaker is priceless indeed :D

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reference 1 Meta in the house!
First impression, surprisingly different timbre that I was expecting in a good way; superior sound compared with the older version, at least for my tastes has that extra sparkle in the mids-highs and a more forward presentation.
More to come...

Hopefully it’s a mild adjustment. Personally I don’t care for the typical “hifi” sound with a lot of “air” aka exaggerated treble :) I find a lot speakers rather grating including my own Meridians ?

Reactions: fun

Jukebox

Hopefully it’s a mild adjustment. Personally I don’t care for the typical “hifi” sound with a lot of “air” aka exaggerated treble :) I find a lot speakers rather grating including my own Meridians ?
Mild but welcomed for my tastes ☺️; not even near the typical exaggerated hifi sound

tecnogadget

Not on my nonmeta Ref 3. I can feel the gaps by running my finger over the "shadow flare".
"The great Kef Eggs HTS3001se enclosure is made of solid aluminum" I love mine, they are my surround speakers. :)
I absolutely love that machining finishing on products, it provides you a very special and specific sensorial feedback when running your skin though it and the way it makes the light shine is beautiful !

For sure, those 3001se are real sleepers/hidden jems. They are a perfect “vessel” for the Uni-Q and I would say almost a futuristic “prototype” that made it into production: it introduced the tangerine waveguide for the first time, and the ribbed midrange reinforcements of “liquid plastic/polymer” for lower distortion that later on evolved into the Blades…these are also the only “sealed Uni-Q” array of the whole KEF history if I’m not mistaken.

I made a great deal for a 5.1 HTS3005se setup a month ago and can’t wait to upgrade my surrounds with them :). And if I find the time, try to measure them and stitch a spinorama…

bo_knows

I absolutely love that machining finishing on products, it provides you a very special and specific sensorial feedback when running your skin though it and the way it makes the light shine is beautiful !

For sure, those 3001se are real sleepers/hidden jems. They are a perfect “vessel” for the Uni-Q and I would say almost a futuristic “prototype” that made it into production: it introduced the tangerine waveguide for the first time, and the ribbed midrange reinforcements of “liquid plastic/polymer” for lower distortion that later on evolved into the Blades…these are also the only “sealed Uni-Q” array of the whole KEF history if I’m not mistaken.

I made a great deal for a 5.1 HTS3005se setup a month ago and can’t wait to upgrade my surrounds with them :). And if I find the time, try to measure them and stitch a spinorama…
The sealed Uni-Q they are not. They have a port in the back. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_6185.JPG
    IMG_6185.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

tecnogadget

The sealed Uni-Q they are not. They have a port in the back. ;)
Well, the very own front baffle confirm this ;).
BB18EC0C-C937-4644-B51D-6B05F51C6EC8.jpeg

Its not because the fact the whole assembly is sealed (which as you pointed out is not, since it has a “bass reflex port”) but because the Uni-Q driver array is sealed (the only from the KEF family if I can recall, maybe with the exception of the LSX, but can’t confirm 100%).

This means there is a special gasket acting like some sort of interface/suspension between the inner diameter of the midrange, and the outer diameter of the plastic member that supports the tangerine waveguide (mind that the exterior of the tangerine is like a tube that goes inside the driver and party surrounds the tweeter, in that inner part is where the gaskets supposedly seals the assembly).

Maybe @jackocleebrown could help us with the specifics or technicality of the sealed Uni-Q array, that’s an interesting topic for sure.

Ps: sorry for derailing this thread with a different series from KEF.

bo_knows

Well, the very own front baffle confirm this ;).
View attachment 191488
Its not because the fact the whole assembly is sealed (which as you pointed out is not, since it has a “bass reflex port”) but because the Uni-Q driver array is sealed (the only from the KEF family if I can recall, maybe with the exception of the LSX, but can’t confirm 100%).

This means there is a special gasket acting like some sort of interface/suspension between the inner diameter of the midrange, and the outer diameter of the plastic member that supports the tangerine waveguide (mind that the exterior of the tangerine is like a tube that goes inside the driver and party surrounds the tweeter, in that inner part is where the gaskets supposedly seals the assembly).

Maybe @jackocleebrown could help us with the specifics or technicality of the sealed Uni-Q array, that’s an interesting topic for sure.

Ps: sorry for derailing this thread with a different series from KEF.
You got me! LOL. Thanks.
Learn something new every day. :)

steve59

Major Contributor
This might be the first time I heard meridians called exaggerated in the treble, interesting.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This might be the first time I heard meridians called exaggerated in the treble, interesting.
I always used mine at -0.5 dB in the treble tilt control ( dsp5200 ) the tilt slopes the whole spectra ( just like quad did it ) , can also be my listening distance about 2.9 meters , I’ve used even more treble tilt in other apartments I’ve lived in depending on acoustics

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Off-topic, but I don't think KEF or anyone else could make something that high tech at a similar price point again. (I know technically they have E301.) The 3000SE series the also the last relatively inexpensive neo magnet Uni-Q, designed when the material was still relatively inexpensive. I had a set for a while too, and crossed over to multisubs (two KEF 3000-series set subs and a Peerless XLS12 "Application Note" PR sub) at 120Hz with ARC on top they were a superb setup for a small post-Dubya-economic-implosion apartment setup. I had thought about getting bass bin stands made for them to turn them into a mini-Waveform Mach 17. But then KEF brought out Q100. Despite the mud magnet on the Uni-Q and dowdy box in cheap vinyl wrap, it was a more neutral speaker. Even more so with a little crossover work to iron out the hard sibilants. So those were used for a while (LCR) the 3001SEs and moved to a new owner.

I have measurements somewhere for the 3000SE eggs and 3-way center. (IIRC that actually was a closed box - unusual, too, with bass drivers smaller than the Uni-Q.) I should look for them.

amansangar

Hi guys speaking of the KEF 3001se would you recommend them for surrounds/surround back over the KEF T301 or R8a or even R100? I’m looking for KEF surround speakers that are mountable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom