• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

haris525

Hi I just bought this amplifier, but can someone post inside pictures of it? I am very interested to see what it looks like. Cant wait to try it.

Leiker535

Apologies for spouting incorrect info. I'm new to the factual , science aspect of audio and I always heard high impedance means harder to drive
It usually is. Higher impedance means the amp will have to give out more voltage to get the same volume as a lower impedance headphone, but, inversely, it will need less current as well (depending on efficiency), and heat builds more to higher current than to higher voltage/resistance AFAIK (Q = i².R.t).

However I don't think that this type of joule effect study is relevant when comparing headphones on the same amp, rather, how hot it gets is much more related to the internal design and general functioning (i.e, a30 pro is a hot amp).

AlexTSG

Hi I just bought this amplifier, but can someone post inside pictures of it? I am very interested to see what it looks like. Cant wait to try it.

I haven't seen the internals (except through the ventilation holes).

If I remember correctly the manual says something like "The warranty will be voided instantly if the unit is opened".

I'm happy to post photos or video of the exterior if there's anything in particular that you haven't found images of online.

AlexTSG

11W of power out of that tiny box.. one can expect things to heat up ;)

My Hifiman Edition XS arrived last Friday and recommended 150 hours of "burn in". They have 18 ohms of impedance and a sensitivity of 92dB.

They sounded great out of the box, but I thought it would be a good test of the A30 Pro and the headphones to let them play for a while anyway.

So far I've had them playing my Deezer Flow for over 72 hours on medium gain at around 1pm on the volume pot (which is a little louder than I would usually listen). During the day my study has been around 28 degrees C / 82 degrees F and while the A30 pro is quite warm, it's working just fine.

When I do get the D30 Pro in the future, I will put the A30 Pro on top of the stack, so I don't block the ventilation holes.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I do get the D30 Pro in the future, I will put the A30 Pro on top of the stack, so I don't block the ventilation holes.
I have the same setup; A30Pro on top of the D30Pro.
I also changed to rubber feet with some other larger and taller feet from Amazon. A30Pro is much less slippery on top of the D30pro and it kinda surprised me how much cooler de D30Pro is now with just the slightly taller feet.
In all the marketing materials from Topping you see the D30Pro on top of the A30pro. It will of course be totally fine to use it like that but to me it makes much more sense to put the device which outputs the most heat on top.

Leiker535

My Hifiman Edition XS arrived last Friday and recommended 150 hours of "burn in". They have 18 ohms of impedance and a sensitivity of 92dB.

They sounded great out of the box, but I thought it would be a good test of the A30 Pro and the headphones to let them play for a while anyway.

So far I've had them playing my Deezer Flow for over 72 hours on medium gain at around 1pm on the volume pot (which is a little louder than I would usually listen). During the day my study has been around 28 degrees C / 82 degrees F and while the A30 pro is quite warm, it's working just fine.

Best "burn-in" you'll do with these is putting in @Resolve 's EQ, posted here, they go from good tonality + spatial effects with some weirdness over 2k and 12k, to a great tonality and great spatial effects and voices.

1645527529950.png

Resolve

Reviewer
Best "burn-in" you'll do with these is putting in @Resolve 's EQ, posted here, they go from good tonality + spatial effects with some weirdness over 2k and 12k, to a great tonality and great spatial effects and voices.

Please just use EQ profiles as a starting point, for these reasons here. While they'll likely sound 'better', it's unlikely they'll sound 'best'. You have to also use your own ears to dial in any fine-grained stuff above 5khz.

Leiker535

Please just use EQ profiles as a starting point, for these reasons here. While they'll likely sound 'better', it's unlikely they'll sound 'best'. You have to also use your own ears to dial in any fine-grained stuff above 5khz.
Indeed, it was a great canvas though. By ear, at launch, I arrived at a close setting, but yours still was better in some regards. Coming from a 6xx, which I love, I just further tweaked the midrange and increased the negative filter at 12khz as I find that peak the worst quality of these headphones. Great video btw.

Resolve

Reviewer
Indeed, it was a great canvas though. By ear, at launch, I arrived at a close setting, but yours still was better in some regards. Coming from a 6xx, which I love, I just further tweaked the midrange and increased the negative filter at 12khz as I find that peak the worst quality of these headphones. Great video btw.
A canvas is a great way to think of it haha. And thanks! I appreciate the kind words.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Just ordered the stack! sadly il be out of town when it arrives, but it will give me something to look forward to.

haris525

I haven't seen the internals (except through the ventilation holes).

If I remember correctly the manual says something like "The warranty will be voided instantly if the unit is opened".

I'm happy to post photos or video of the exterior if there's anything in particular that you haven't found images of online.
Oh no problem at all Alex! I should be getting my unit in a few days so I will try to peak through it :).

Thanks again!

Phoney

Does Schiit PYST XLR not fit with these?

Phoney

Phoney

Rocking the A30 Pro with a D50 for now, until the D30 Pro arrives... good god this thing gets loud.
I just got my A30 Pro myself, even more powerful than I imagined. I thought that the Jot 2 that I'm selling would be more powerful, but it feels the same, if not even more on the A30 Pro.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
I just got my A30 Pro myself, even more powerful than I imagined. I thought that the Jot 2 that I'm selling would be more powerful, but it feels the same, if not even more on the A30 Pro.

The only beef I have, is the output voltage on the D30 Pro is only 4v, so the A30 Pro is hamstrung, since it requires higher voltage to get its advertised output. Topping did this with the D50S/A50S to, its misleading... still as, its a ton of power.

IMG_4113.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom