• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

David_M

Is there ANYTHING functionality wise that is bugging you? Or any weird behaviour on the EX5? If not, I would keep it and use it with A30 Pro. Sound wise they are both excellent performers and you'd have a very hard time discerning one from the other if both would be functioning as they should.. :)
Nothing functional that bugs me, just read many reviews about how the D30 is sonically superior to the EX5, supposedly, and how the D30 is the 'perfect mate' to the A30.

eboleyn

Forum Donor
So I have a bit of a conundrum here.

I've had a Topping A50s for a while and loved it, driving my Shure SE-846 IEMs using the balanced amp output. I recently acquired a Topping A30 Pro to use with my D30 Pro in a stack with XLR between them since I like being balanced everywhere, and using the balanced amp output connector (even though the A30 Pro's amp is single-ended) should work fine.

Somehow I'm liking the output of the A50s better. I expected the A30 Pro to sound exactly the same (since the noise floor on these things is so low and use of the balanced output connected even with the A30 Pro's single-ended amp means the crosstalk is super-low... but while the difference is subtle, I keep being comparatively dissatisfied.

I checked, and indeed, technically the A50s does measure a tad better, like 5db lower noise floor and considerably better crosstalk.

BUT, I'd think it's wayy below my ability to detect it, even though I'm a quiet listener.

I think I'm going to have to measure the output or something to determine where exactly the noise floor really is relative to where I'm listening.

half_dog

I checked, and indeed, technically the A50s does measure a tad better, like 5db lower noise floor and considerably better crosstalk.
You are right about its crosstalk but not about the noise floor, setting the A30Pro via RCA it can reach 1dB :)eek::eek:) lower than A50s.Theorically they should sound the same for humans but sometimes external factors may change the final result. So something in (or out of) the chain may be influencing somehow or it is just placebo.
Even the most technological equipment may suffer from not so obvious issues. There was a friend of mine who was "suffering" with interference in his audio rig from RF towers, he asked for help and almost every body susgested him to move to a full balanced rig but even after this investment the problem had not been solved. All the equipments he had bought although balanced weren't grounded (all of them were two pins termination - eg.: the first version of M500) and he took a time to figure it out while blaming the equipments...

sYndro

Something similar just happened to me too.
The unit was on and when I came to my desk I heard a constant clicking noise.
Had it for less than a month, only on low gain with easy to drive HP's (LCD-X)... I will work on a replacement or return but this is pretty disappointing.
The unit I bought on Amazon had the same issue. It was sold as used in condition like new.

eboleyn

Forum Donor
You are right about its crosstalk but not about the noise floor, setting the A30Pro via RCA it can reach 1dB :)eek::eek:) lower than A50s.Theorically they should sound the same for humans but sometimes external factors may change the final result. So something in (or out of) the chain may be influencing somehow or it is just placebo.
Even the most technological equipment may suffer from not so obvious issues. There was a friend of mine who was "suffering" with interference in his audio rig from RF towers, he asked for help and almost every body susgested him to move to a full balanced rig but even after this investment the problem had not been solved. All the equipments he had bought although balanced weren't grounded (all of them were two pins termination - eg.: the first version of M500) and he took a time to figure it out while blaming the equipments...
Hmm, maybe we're looking at different measurements on the noise floor. I'm looking at both the Topping A30 Pro and A50s reviews on Audiosciencereview, where at 300 ohm and 50 ohm at lower power levels, such as 1 microwatt (in the zone where IEMs are more relevant). Down in that zone, the if I'm reading the graphs right, the A50s is almost 5db lower noise floor (-85 vs -80 @ 300 ohm, -77-ish vs -72-ish @ 50 ohm).

Either way, still a very lower noise floor at low power levels, hence my skepticism that I'm hearing anything real and desiring to measure what may be happening if anything.

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So I have a bit of a conundrum here.

I've had a Topping A50s for a while and loved it, driving my Shure SE-846 IEMs using the balanced amp output. I recently acquired a Topping A30 Pro to use with my D30 Pro in a stack with XLR between them since I like being balanced everywhere, and using the balanced amp output connector (even though the A30 Pro's amp is single-ended) should work fine.

Somehow I'm liking the output of the A50s better. I expected the A30 Pro to sound exactly the same (since the noise floor on these things is so low and use of the balanced output connected even with the A30 Pro's single-ended amp means the crosstalk is super-low... but while the difference is subtle, I keep being comparatively dissatisfied.

BUT, I'd think it's wayy below my ability to detect it, even though I'm a quiet listener.

I think I'm going to have to measure the output or something to determine where exactly the noise floor really is relative to where I'm listening.
Hello,

This stuff can be be easy to loose track of and can be confusing.

You will see @amirm measure relative to 4 volts output and some times with the "RCA" single end outputs relative to 2 volts output. So one review with dBr relative to 4volts will not be equal to the next review with dBr relative to 2volts output.

Less confusing to me is to use volts on the FFT vertical axis or dBV on the FFT vertical axis rather than use dBr.

Thanks DT

armigo

Forum Donor
One question. Does the internal power supply have a switch for 110/220V? I am in the sometimes for work and think about replacing my modius as my "movable" with this because I really don't like some aspects of the modius design like the chucky external power supply, power switch on the back and the volume knob.

eboleyn

Forum Donor
Hmm, maybe we're looking at different measurements on the noise floor. I'm looking at both the Topping A30 Pro and A50s reviews on Audiosciencereview, where at 300 ohm and 50 ohm at lower power levels, such as 1 microwatt (in the zone where IEMs are more relevant). Down in that zone, the if I'm reading the graphs right, the A50s is almost 5db lower noise floor (-85 vs -80 @ 300 ohm, -77-ish vs -72-ish @ 50 ohm).

Either way, still a very lower noise floor at low power levels, hence my skepticism that I'm hearing anything real and desiring to measure what may be happening if anything.
OK, I stacked the numbers up including the IEMs I'm using, Shure SE-846's. They are ~116 db/mW and ~11 ohm impedance.

The A50s at 1 microwatt (which would be ~86 db) are -85db noise floor @ 300 ohm, -77db noise floor @ 50 ohm, and a reasonable presumption would be a similar difference to get to 11 ohm, or say a -70 db noise floor. So, ~16db noise level, and I prefer to listen at about 60-65db average.

By the above computation, the A30 Pro would be ~5db higher noise by the same way of looking at this, or then ~21 db noise level at the same 60-65db average listening level.

In the quieter parts it's not unimaginable anymore that one could very slightly tell a difference.

half_dog

Oh! You're right about it but there is a "but". As I said before, A30Pro reachs its best performance via RCA and as pointed out in those graphs Amir measured it using its XLR inputs. If you are using XLR your observations are completly correct. Could you connecte A30Pro via RCA and give it a try?
About external factors... I have a L30 and using my most sensitive IEM (Moondrop Aria) I can't hear any noise from L30 but I'm able to hear a faint hiss when a DAC like D10s or an E30 is connected (that's why I have bought a E50, only beause its lower noise floor). Maybe using XLR connection the sum of the higher noise floor from the amplifier with the source's noise may influence somehow...
(sorry my english)

Correction: I didn't read its specs right. A50s seems to reach the lowest noise level for high gain (for medium and low gain it's pretty much the same for the other amps) but I think you are not using high gain for an IEM with this sensitive...

Last edited:

Wuzel

One question. Does the internal power supply have a switch for 110/220V? I am in the sometimes for work and think about replacing my modius as my "movable" with this because I really don't like some aspects of the modius design like the chucky external power supply, power switch on the back and the volume knob.

Input Voltage 100-240V ;)
So yes, will work fine ...

The 30pro needs realy hot input for maximum performance. Topping itself measure the specs at 5Vref input.
In my experiences u came at 4,5Vref in the green zone.

At RCA Input, the Amp way underperform and lost a bunch of his dynamic.

DuDu

My a30 pro suddenly on the xlr input is there anyone with the same experience? (been having it since August 2021)

the_brunx

posted this on the wrong thread:

armigo

Forum Donor
Input Voltage 100-240V ;)
So yes, will work fine ...

The 30pro needs realy hot input for maximum performance. Topping itself measure the specs at 5Vref input.
In my experiences u came at 4,5Vref in the green zone.

At RCA Input, the Amp way underperform and lost a bunch of his dynamic.
Thank you! I'm sorry I just have missed that information. So you're saying feeding it with XLR from modius at 4vref could be problematic?

Veri

Master Contributor
Thank you! I'm sorry I just have missed that information. So you're saying feeding it with XLR from modius at 4vref could be problematic?
No, he's saying with RCA input you won't ever get near maximum output. 4V XLR is standard..

DuDu

posted this on the wrong thread:
Thanks a lot!

Wuzel

No, he's saying with RCA input you won't ever get near maximum output. 4V XLR is standard..

Yes, 4V works fine - and at ~4,5V you near the maximum that you can get from the amp....

Full holy molly is on near 5V - Topping itself measure the specs at 5V input...

a30pro.jpg

Wuzel

Yeah, input sensitivity is way high - special with high gain. The amp gos at 14db - means 5 times higher ramped input signal and still at 2,7Vrms sensitivity o_O

That's the reason why i wrote 'this amp needs hot Input' :cool:

A topic is still here:

I think it's time for a preamp before the headamp ....:eek: (kidding...)

Top Bottom