• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
What are you doing with it all?
I returned two DAC and one HPA due to issues I observed.

So, I have 3 pairs of DAC+amp combo now.

One pair is used in living room.

One pair is in computer room.

One pair currently seldom used.

I got more DAC and amp because I wanted features like display, xlr output, etc.

Headphones is because I am curious about the difference between dynamic drivers vs planar-magnetic.

Miska

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of strange behavior is related to running/having the MQA code on XMOS. Wouldn't be first time...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just accidentally got this result. Source from REW via Topping 10B to Zen Tour. 48 khz recorded at 96 khz. Signal is 19 and 20 khz at - 60 db. 256 k fft.

1642708515320.png

This is the same signal with this result only using Audacity to generate and play the tone.

1642708424959.png

index.php

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just accidentally got this result. Source from REW via Topping 10B to Zen Tour. 48 khz recorded at 96 khz. Signal is 19 and 20 khz at - 60 db. 256 k fft.
index.php

This is the same signal with this result only using Audacity to generate and play the tone.

index.php
The images don't seem to work...

Edit: fixed now, thanks @Blumlein 88

Last edited:

dc655321

Major Contributor
By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of strange behavior is related to running/having the MQA code on XMOS. Wouldn't be first time...

Again, your findings are unlikely to result in audible issues with that DAC. Would you agree with that?

So, I'm still not certain what statement(s) you are trying to make:
- the ASR measurement of that device failed to capture that behavior? And...?
- you are knowledgeable? Yes...
- an honest disclosure of information to others?
- all/none of the above?

Help me out here, please.

storing

Forum Donor
I think they are self-explanatory for this forum's audience?
The plots, probably, but I think the audience wants to know the methods exactly, i.e. as detailed as possible how the data in the plots was retrieved and with which parameters the plot was made. (apologies if you told this already, then I missed it)

edit this is just in: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-hump-revisited-khadas-tone-board-v1-3.30136/ and is a fine example of the amount of the detail 'the audience' (or some at least) wants to see.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks clean that way.
Mkay, so it could then still be the way REW plays it. I don't know if the Java subsystem has any particular issues with this. It has been a very, very long while since I've had a look at that. Back then I didn't know I might care ;)

Miska

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Again, your findings are unlikely to result in audible issues with that DAC. Would you agree with that?

No...

So, I'm still not certain what statement(s) you are trying to make:
- the ASR measurement of that device failed to capture that behavior? And...?

ASR yes, some other people measuring same device partially captured something similar.

I just find it interesting result.

Help me out here, please.

For the topic it is just interesting that let's say having nice result for 1 kHz 0 dBFS THD test tone doesn't necessarily indicate that there are no other hidden problems.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
(1)Can you elaborate as to which ones those are? Possibly you have better luck deciphering Google Translate gibberish? It's really not the right tool to use for a complex conversation.

(2)Indeed, please don't touch the fonts, especially the colour. Black text with dark themes on the forum does not work together.
(1) I thought I did!
(2) You do you, I'll do me!

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor

View attachment 180575

View attachment 180573

index.php
The last time I tried to use REW to capture freq response via mic, it wasn't working. I wonder all those Windows updates caused any issue with REW. I am thinking to remove my version and install whatever latest one soon.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 180575

View attachment 180573

index.php

Are you sure the first one wasn't generated/processed as 16 bits and the second one, as 24?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The last time I tried to use REW to capture freq response via mic, it wasn't working. I wonder all those Windows updates caused any issue with REW. I am thinking to remove my version and install whatever latest one soon.
The REW generating the signal is on a MacBook Pro. I am a version or two behind current.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure the first one wasn't generated/processed as 16 bits and the second one, as 24?
Yes positive. The noise floor goes up 7 or 8 db vs 24 bit, but if I use higher rates that is all it is clean otherwise.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Beats me. Different drivers in REW and Audacity?
I'm not sure how to answer that on a Mac. I may try it in the other direction as there is an ASIO driver for the D10B.

BTW, Miska will find flaws in ADC and DAC gear like nobody else. I forget how it was tripped up now, but he showed me a truly bizarre behavior in the Focusrite Forte. It wasn't anything that would occur with music, but with a certain signal sent to it the result was bonkers. He's found other incorrect behavior in a plenty of things. I seem to recall one of them was a Tascam interface that also could go weird in just the right circumstances.

Top Bottom