• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There seem to be a few other posts in this thread regarding that topic, but thought I would share some measurements to illustrate that the 8341 tweeter can't play full-band content above 90dBSPL//1m. This may be acceptable for music, but our use is for standardized microphone measurements which require sine-wave testing at minimum 94dBSPL//1m.

If 94dB SPL up to 20khz is a requirement for you, none of the Genelec Ones will do that. The tweeter in the 8351B/8361A is good to >100dB up to 9khz, but limits down to about 90dB by 20khz.

IMO this is not relevant for normal use because all music that I know of has much louder content <3khz than >3khz, but it is certainly critical for your use case.

You may want to try the Kali IN-8. If you don't actually need a point source, there are Neumanns, though their tweeters, like many, do drop off in output very sharply above 10khz as well, and few reviewers even bother to test output above 10khz.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting how different your anecholic measurement is compared to ASR’s NFS measurements. What would cause this?

1231rq32r1qw32r

Just to throw my 2 cents in…

I run a pair for 8341a. They’re in a reasonably large room (for uk standards, anyway).

I find them to go unbelievably loud, way, way louder than I’d ever be able to endure.

Anyone having volume issues - check with the GLM software that they’re at 0dB and that you’re driving them with a hot enough signal (I’ve been using a Topping D10 Balanced)

Either that, or a lot of people here are going deaf

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Just to throw my 2 cents in…

I run a pair for 8341a. They’re in a reasonably large room (for uk standards, anyway).

I find them to go unbelievably loud, way, way louder than I’d ever be able to endure.

Anyone having volume issues - check with the GLM software that they’re at 0dB and that you’re driving them with a hot enough signal (I’ve been using a Topping D10 Balanced)

Either that, or a lot of people here are going deaf
Are you also using a sub?

1231rq32r1qw32r

Are you also using a sub?

No sub, system is calibrated with the GLM kit. Room has some acoustic treatments (not the YouTuber style foam stuck to walls).

I’m really shocked how loud some people must be listening. Really, these things will give you hearing damage

Oh, and someone previously asked about hiss. I can hear nothing with my ear pressed against the tweeter.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
No sub, system is calibrated with the GLM kit. Room has some acoustic treatments (not the YouTuber style foam stuck to walls).

I’m really shocked how loud some people must be listening. Really, these things will give you hearing damage

Oh, and someone previously asked about hiss. I can hear nothing with my ear pressed against the tweeter.
But are you listening to bass heavy music or just Norah Jones type of music?

1231rq32r1qw32r

Mainly electronic music, dub, dancehall type things (I use Elgato - Zone to test bass heavy needs). But everything really. The GLM calibration is pulling down frequencies in the bass, so I can’t see that being a limiting factor.

I’ve never once had the limiter come on and I’ve listened with enough volume to the point of discomfort.

I was initially worried about the volume when I installed them, so it was the first thing I tested.

Before calibration, I think they are set internally to -18dB

Last edited:

1231rq32r1qw32r

I’m not a salesman for Genelec but… if these are not loud enough a few things is to check are:

1) you’re trying to use them as PAs in a large hall
2) you’re not driving them with a full scale signal
3) the volume is pre attenuated in software
4) you are listening way too loud

Trell

Major Contributor
I’m not a salesman for Genelec but… if these are not loud enough a few things is to check are:

Lots of assumptions you have there.

Trell

Major Contributor
No assumptions - if you read it you’ll see I’ve said “points to check”

English is not my first language so perhaps it wasn’t clear enough for you.

My reply was also based on your previous posts as well. I can only assume that you are sitting very close to your 8341 and you won't get deep powerful bass without a subwoofer, thus the question from @Pearljam5000 wondering what kind of music you where listening to.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’m not Genelec sales either…

I guess if one wants louder, get a bigger speaker and more wattage… Or add one or two (large) subs. Genelec have fairly large speaker options and subs. I lust for a pair of W371A’s…

FWIW, for my personal music lover needs, both my 8351b and 8330a pairs are as close to perfection as I ever had in 20+ years of poursuit of high quality music reproduction at home. No complaints here, and I find them both loud enough in midfield applications in my nice but modest 1930’s NYC area suburban house. My 8351b’s 3 meters away will hurt my ears way before triggering the limiter. -30db is loud for any pop, jazz type music. I might go all the way to -15db when listening to certain classical music recordings. For some complex orchestra passages, I think a sub option could add a little more presence, but not something I’m missing.

auraluxstudio

I have to agree with you. I have no idea what the deal is with people on here acting like these don't go loud. They get loud as hell in my studio. Like you said, "unbearably" loud. What's wrong with people's ears here? I have a feeling that most of the people commenting that they don't go loud enough haven't even heard them. Oh and yeah, these aren't PA speakers.

hege

Forum Donor

A standalone tweeter can play loud enough for "discomfort", so does that mean people don't even need a woofer?

Your Elgato "test track" has only ~39hz bass going on, so while 8341A may play it adequately nearfield - for your loudness comfort - it certainly doesn't mean that everyone will be satisfied. Do you even have experience with larger speakers/subwoofers, and do you actually know if you are missing something from certain tracks? You will find many tracks with 30hz and even lower analyzed in Bass!-thread, 8341A certainly are not able to play these "as artist intended"..

Elgato- Zone [daWgpI1bZb4].png

auraluxstudio

A standalone tweeter can play loud enough for "discomfort", so does that mean people don't even need a woofer?

Your Elgato "test track" has only ~39hz bass going on, so while 8341A may play it adequately nearfield - for your loudness comfort - it certainly doesn't mean that everyone will be satisfied. Do you even have experience with larger speakers/subwoofers, and do you actually know if you are missing something from certain tracks? You will find many tracks with 30hz and even lower analyzed in Bass!-thread, 8341A certainly are not able to play these "as artist intended"..

View attachment 179175
You are merely talking about bass here. You are not talking about loudness.

1231rq32r1qw32r

My reply was also based on your previous posts as well. I can only assume that you are sitting very close to your 8341 and you won't get deep powerful bass without a subwoofer, thus the question from @Pearljam5000 wondering what kind of music you where listening to.
Oh, so you quoted the wrong post? I’m not a big fan of your condescending writing style, and it now appears you’re the one making assumptions.

How close is very close? What is deep powerful bass? I’ve got my measurements from my listening position and they’re achieving exactly what they say they should. They’re studio monitors, not far field. Maybe you’re using them in the wrong application

Last edited:

1231rq32r1qw32r

View attachment 179175
Are you expecting them to play beneath what the stated frequency response is? I mean, of course they won’t do sub 30hz. They tell you that… I’m not sure what the point is here - of course they don’t perform out with the specification.

My studio is not adequately prepared for frequencies below ~30Hz.

hege

Forum Donor
You are merely talking about bass here. You are not talking about loudness.
To me they are one and the same and it seems to be a general misconception on the forum.

Can you name me a speaker that doesn't play "loud enough for discomfort" (whatever that is for different people), if we only take in account the frequency response/capability? And not even care about distortion or stuff like port chuffing?

For me, enough loudness means that the speaker (+ possible subs) will play full range/deep enough, with decendly low distortion. And of course with enough volume for my taste (no, I'm not deaf yet). I didn't even fathom that someone would consider loudness only to be "within design parameters". Of course that is legimate way to look at it, but one should specify what they mean by "loud".

Last edited:

1231rq32r1qw32r

Bass is certainly relevant when one says he is listening to bass heavy electronic music.
This is so stupid now. I listen to all genres - also let’s not be stupid enough to think that some speakers are “suited for some genres and not others”.

Let me be clear with this statement, as it appears not all of us have spoken to a real human before: I have found that these speakers perform within their specification to a volume level beyond what I would find comfortable to listen to.

Talk of music genres and sub bass frequencies that they’re not designed for are idiotic counter points. You want something that will do 5Hz at 110dB SPL at 1km? Buy something else.

Top Bottom