• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IK Multimedia iLoud MTM Review (active monitor)

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me it's just because I'd like to do everything with a single switch. I don't want to waste the electricity for leaving active speakers on 24/7.
Just turn them off with a remote.

PXL_20220106_014755083-2.jpg

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't imagine why anyone would want auto-standby/auto shutdown built into an active speaker system because i've never had a problem turning devices on and off.

'Studio' Monitors, like the MTMs usually have the power switch on the back of each monitor. This can make it awkward to reach and operate without moving each speaker (especially when they are relatively small and light one like the MTMs). I have my MTMs aligned correctly for my listening position, measured and corrected using REW and eAPO - I don't want to keep moving the speakers to turn them off and on.

Zensō

Major Contributor
'Studio' Monitors, like the MTMs usually have the power switch on the back of each monitor. This can make it awkward to reach and operate without moving each speaker (especially when they are relatively small and light one like the MTMs). I have my MTMs aligned correctly for my listening position, measured and corrected using REW and eAPO - I don't want to keep moving the speakers to turn them off and on.
Same here (though I’m using Arc 3).

This is a workable solution. Both monitors are plugged into the power strip mounted on the desk, I use the strip to turn the monitors on and off.

1E85224D-E490-47AD-BBFD-6983A3147AB4.jpeg

carewser

In that case it's silly that it doesn't come with a remote, most of my active/powered speakers have remotes, only two of my active/powered speaker systems don't have remotes and they have the nobs and buttons on the front. Stupid design

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In that case it's silly that it doesn't come with a remote, most of my active/powered speakers have remotes, only two of my active/powered speaker systems don't have remotes and they have the nobs and buttons on the front. Stupid design

Monitors are designed for studio use, not for home use by consumers, they don't generally include features for home use. It's a design choice/cost optimization, not a stupid design.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait. You're using the Topping remote to trigger other gear?

Yes, my IR controlled mains switch can be trained to use any key from a remote using standard IR codes.

IR controlled switches seem to be rather rare these days, they're all RF or Wi-Fi now. I acquired mine over 10 years ago - I think it might have been provided free by my electricity company as part of a government sponsored energy saving drive.

It's a different type of IR, but you could go hands free with something like this... :)

I've got one of these as well - I haven't tried it with my monitors as it's unnecessarily complicated for this purpose...

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Zensō

Major Contributor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't imagine why anyone would want auto-standby/auto shutdown built into an active speaker system because i've never had a problem turning devices on and off. In fact I can't imagine anything easier. What's the worst that could happen by leaving a device on anyway? You waste a tiny amount of electricity. My Kanto Tuk speakers have an auto-power up/auto-power down feature and not only do I not need it, I don't like it as they have turned on all on their own numerous times. In fact that feature was the reason I returned my first pair because a few times they turned on by themselves and nearly blew my ears off because unlike my Paradigm Millenia CT2 speakers that always turn on at the same low volume, the Kanto's turn on at the last volume you had them at and I like my music loud sometimes
Don’t imagine, meet one, moi.

Last edited:

paincoder

I recently bought and returned a pair of these due to the coil whine issue mentioned in this thread as well, figured I'd roll the dice as these would fit my use case to a tee, but oh well. So just confirming that currently available MTMs on the market might still be affected in case someone would like to purchase one to use with 230V.

As I'm not interested in playing return lottery unless IK would officially come out with a V2: Does an alternative exist on the market that can provide a similar low-end and compact form factor other than the Genelec 8030?
I listen at rather low SPL, even these MTMs were too loud for me well before cranking my source - and that was with the "volume" on the back of the speakers turned to its lowest. So I never ran into issues with port noise or distortion, wouldn't have had a single complaint if not for the aforementioned issue.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I recently bought and returned a pair of these due to the coil whine issue mentioned in this thread as well, figured I'd roll the dice as these would fit my use case to a tee, but oh well. So just confirming that currently available MTMs on the market might still be affected in case someone would like to purchase one to use with 230V.

As I'm not interested in playing return lottery unless IK would officially come out with a V2: Does an alternative exist on the market that can provide a similar low-end and compact form factor other than the Genelec 8030?
I listen at rather low SPL, even these MTMs were too loud for me well before cranking my source - and that was with the "volume" on the back of the speakers turned to its lowest. So I never ran into issues with port noise or distortion, wouldn't have had a single complaint if not for the aforementioned issue.
Damn! I was really hoping this was fixed. Thanks for the report.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does an alternative exist on the market that can provide a similar low-end and compact form factor other than the Genelec 8030?

Personally, I think the MTMs perform much better when they are relieved of the low end and used with a sub.

Have you considered something even smaller with a small sub? The Fostex PM.03 has a matching 5" sub, the subs not been measured on ASR, but the PM.03 was OK on it's own... https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/fostex-pm-03-active-speaker-review.12517/

paincoder

Personally, I think the MTMs perform much better when they are relieved of the low end and used with a sub.

Have you considered something even smaller with a small sub? The Fostex PM.03 has a matching 5" sub, the subs not been measured on ASR, but the PM.03 was OK on it's own... https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/fostex-pm-03-active-speaker-review.12517/
I wish I could, but unfortunately "toughness" is also a factor I'm considering, as I may have to move countries a couple times in the coming decade, so wanted something that would survive if tossed in a checked suitcase. Otherwise I would have already bought Kali LP-6 V2s with a sub and be happy... :)

It may be less of a headache to give up on the dream of a compact speaker setup and settle for my headphones only. Or bite the bullet and splurge for the Genelecs.

Vict0r

I wish I could, but unfortunately "toughness" is also a factor I'm considering, as I may have to move countries a couple times in the coming decade, so wanted something that would survive if tossed in a checked suitcase. Otherwise I would have already bought Kali LP-6 V2s with a sub and be happy... :)

It may be less of a headache to give up on the dream of a compact speaker setup and settle for my headphones only. Or bite the bullet and splurge for the Genelecs.
Might be worth it to play the RMA lottery. I have a pair of MTMs and my country uses 220/230v and there's no coil whine issue. A friend of mine had a pair and he travels between south America and The Netherlands, and his pair DOES have the coil whine when he's using them overhere. He's exchanging them as well, for as many times as it takes to find a proper pair. When they work, they work rather well and there isn't much competition in the micro monitor segment.

Maybe the EVE SC203's?

paincoder

Might be worth it to play the RMA lottery. I have a pair of MTMs and my country uses 220/230v and there's no coil whine issue. A friend of mine had a pair and he travels between south America and The Netherlands, and his pair DOES have the coil whine when he's using them overhere. He's exchanging them as well, for as many times as it takes to find a proper pair. When they work, they work rather well and there isn't much competition in the micro monitor segment.

Maybe the EVE SC203's?
In my case it'd involve waiting for international shipping and then driving them to the post office for a return as neither thomann or amazon.de does pick-up returns in my country sadly. (I'm not aware of another EU-wide retailer with free return shipping.) Well, to be fair, thomann did as an exception one time since I asked if it would be possible, wouldn't expect them to allow it again on the same account. Gas price plus all that time spent waiting in line would add up fast.
If a local retailer would stock them then I'd be all over that, demoing units in-store until I could find a whine-free one. :)

Maybe I'll just leave it until after I have moved closer to civilization or hunt down an used one.

Vict0r

In my case it'd involve waiting for international shipping and then driving them to the post office for a return as neither thomann or amazon.de does pick-up returns in my country sadly. (I'm not aware of another EU-wide retailer with free return shipping.) Well, to be fair, thomann did as an exception one time since I asked if it would be possible, wouldn't expect them to allow it again on the same account. Gas price plus all that time spent waiting in line would add up fast.
If a local retailer would stock them then I'd be all over that, demoing units in-store until I could find a whine-free one. :)

Maybe I'll just leave it until after I have moved closer to civilization or hunt down an used one.
Can't you ask Thomann to check for coil whine? No idea if they'd do that, but smaller retailers often don't mind checking.

RHO

Major Contributor
Can't you ask Thomann to check for coil whine? No idea if they'd do that, but smaller retailers often don't mind checking.
Thomann is not a small retailer.;)

Top Bottom