• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your loudspeakers are too small!

hege

Forum Donor
Always depends on what you use your speakers for. In nearfield 3 feet or less a speaker with a 5 inch woofer can provide plenty of loudness and dynamics (macro and especially micro) with punchy, precise and sufficiently deep bass. My ears are about 2 feet from my Genelec 8331. If I would play them at max. power I would absolutely ruin my ears in a very short period of time. The problem is that people buy bookshelf or nearfield speakers and are dissapointed when they don't fill the whole room with sound and don't go loud enough. Get speakers that suit your application.

8331 can't even physically produce "deep bass" since it has steep internal high pass filter. I sort of understand your hyperbole, but playing "loud" is not the same thing as playing "full range" with a large setup, which creates whole different sensations and largeness even with moderate volumes.

BaaM

No mate, they aren't too small I tell you.
NmcCcWD.jpeg

If you have the space (and most of us do), then what you need are bigger speakers.
100% agree

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My unscientific observation is that the bass from twin open baffle 15” woofers is more realistic and convincing that that from Paradigm Studio 100 V5’s, even though extension is limited to about 50 hz on OB.

But the high end is far better on the Paradigm, with its mid/dome tweeter vs a moderately expensive Tangband fullrange.

Bass isn’t just a cone area difference, of course, the room loading is different with zero response 90 degrees off axis.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Bass, sub frequency. For quality sensible (low) level of distortion and straight FR (plus a little something else that has to do with room acoustics). In addition, size matters. Sufficient air must be pumped. For that you need a lot of power (amplifier), large speakers (a lot of volume), large x-max. Large simply. This is how the laws of physics work.

Of course you can "cream out" from small subwoofers, plus EQ like a fool, but then there is a great risk that there will be problems with distortion (yes it will then be audible).

Edit:
There will be problems, small sub, at a really big volume increase ..Incidentally, a problem that even small full-range speakers also suffer from.
I should add, there can be problems of a different kind with too many subwoofers.:)

This looks yummy, doesn't it? Double 18 "in each speaker.
(not mine, unfortunately, hooray my neighbors say about my lack of them). :)

909nr2fd1xp4dljn36zed3um (1).jpeg

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
"And the rest of your junk ain't nuthin' to brag about either!"

mae-west-sex.jpg

MrSoul4470

8331 can't even physically produce "deep bass" since it has steep internal high pass filter. I sort of understand your hyperbole, but playing "loud" is not the same thing as playing "full range" with a large setup, which creates whole different sensations and largeness even with moderate volumes.
They play down to almost 40 Hz in my room and it is the most precise bass I've ever had. But I do admit I am not a bass guy and for other people the quantity of bass might not be enough. In fact I have EQed them flat from 40 to 20.000Hz and more bass would annoy me, because it covers detail in other frequency ranges. Like I said: Get speakers that suit your needs and application and I might hate speakers that you love. So, generalizing "your speakers are too small" is just nonsense.

MrSoul4470

It's an alert that there's nothing of worth involved.
I don't really know either what "micro-dynamics" means. The thing that comes to my mind when I hear that misleading expression is "detail" and "structure", but I'm probably totally wrong.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't really know either what "micro-dynamics" means. The thing that comes to my mind when I hear that misleading expression is "detail" and "structure", but I'm probably totally wrong.
To me it sounds like something everybody wants. Who could resist? "Do you want a speaker with micro-dynamics or you just don't care?" "No, yes, I want it!!"

DanielT

Major Contributor
Sound with audible distortion is "cloudy" not clear sound. Maybe that's what is meant?Hear details that is.This applies to loudspeakers. Amplifiers in overdive, which are really driven into clipping that sound can not be missed. Details in the sound of a character who was not really meant to be there, so to speak.:)

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Sound with audible distortion is "cloudy" not clear sound. Maybe that's what is meant?
Or it has no meaning whatsoever but sounds good. I remember Allen Wright always using the slogan "downward dynamic range," which was similarly more of a fortune cookie slogan than anything with actual meaning.

hege

Forum Donor
They play down to almost 40 Hz in my room and it is the most precise bass I've ever had. But I do admit I am not a bass guy and for other people the quantity of bass might not be enough. In fact I have EQed them flat from 40 to 20.000Hz and more bass would annoy me, because it covers detail in other frequency ranges. Like I said: Get speakers that suit your needs and application and I might hate speakers that you love. So, generalizing "your speakers are too small" is just nonsense.
If you have experience from "better" setups and know what you are missing or not missing, then good for you. It's your preference and nothing wrong with that. In my "hifi" setup I could not live without 30-40hz as it's crucial and nothing to do with "quantity". Leaving it out would have to be conscious decision, and not based on some "real music doesn't have deep bass" forum nonsense that you sometimes see here.

My livingroom setup is just TV's (QN90A) own speakers which cuts off at 100hz, I'm perfectly fine with that as my personal preference, as the quality and loudness is more than enough for the needs there. I wouldn't generalize that it has "plenty of loudness and dynamics" though, no matter if I can get my ears ringing or not.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound with audible distortion is "cloudy" not clear sound.
That's the word I was searching since my RME DAC arrived and I compared its sound with my beloved tube amp. The latter is "cloudy" in comparison. Sounds like heaven, but in a cloudy day. Thanks.

DanielT

Major Contributor
That's the word I was searching since my RME DAC arrived and I compared its sound with my beloved tube amp. The latter is "cloudy" in comparison. Sounds like heaven, but in a cloudy day. Thanks.
You can test it yourself. Most people guess at the speaker. I'm not so sure. Probably a mix of everything.:)

Top Bottom