• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Absolute Polarity - Myth or "Important"?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23982
  • Start date

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
or buy something like this DAP XGA37 (costs around € 10.-)

He'd be leaning over the back of his gear trying to flick both switches (L&R) at once- that'd be funny to watch.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There's probably software that can easily switch phase as well. :)

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I did the switches in the 90s, before I gave up. Your surely well intended advice is about 30 years old.

It would be nice to have a transparent, remote controlled box at the preamp to amp pathway.

The easiest way to do that is with balanced connections and a momentary muting relay. The latter may not even be necessary with my gear.

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
There's probably software that can easily switch phase as well. :)
I have a real-world physical system with many sources. The logical way to switch system phase is at preamp to amp pathway or at the speakers.

Douk Audio makes a remote controlled amp/speaker switch (with level meters, no less) that can be wired to work, but I will need a pair for my mono amps and it will look garish.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Software plugins are not available or an option ?
How often do you switch phase ?
How do you know/determine which recordings are 'absolute phase correct' ?
Why does it have to be remote controlled ?
Is it for some experimenting only ?

If there were a sizable demand for such products I would assume there would be a few manufacturers making these. There doesn't seem to be that many so switching phase often does not seem to be really needed in the real world. Only a fixed (or switchable) phase rotation seems to be enough for most folks.

When this is that important and SW is no option there will be plenty of custom builders that can make you one. Might not be cheap but 2 small signal relays, 4 XLR connectors and some control logic would not be too much to ask.

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
Software plugins are not available or an option ?
How often do you switch phase ?
How do you know/determine which recordings are 'absolute phase correct' ?
Why does it have to be remote controlled ?
Is it for some experimenting only ?

If there were a sizable demand for such products I would assume there would be a few manufacturers making these. There doesn't seem to be that many so switching phase often does not seem to be really needed in the real world. Only a fixed (or switchable) phase rotation seems to be enough for most folks.

When this is that important and SW is no option there will be plenty of custom builders that can make you one. Might not be cheap but 2 small signal relays, 4 XLR connectors and some control logic would not be too much to ask.
I have an analog amplification chain with ~10 sources, including 8-track tape.

I never switch phase now, but it would be nice to be able to do it on the fly, with a remote.

May make a difference with some recordings. I haven't done it for a quarter of a century, so maybe fewer now than before.

And no, there is no demand for such a product or feature in consumer audio, by in large. Pro gear seems to include it, as a way to "align" different tracks, not due to any concern about absolute phase.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
a nice to have... you could have one built but probably will cost you over $ 100.-.

Cheapest way is to use one of those remote light switches.
Use a 110V AC relay with 4PCO contacts + relay socket with screw connectors.
Build it into a box with 4 XLR's and you're done.
No soldering required other than the XLR sockets.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an analog amplification chain with ~10 sources, including 8-track tape.

I never switch phase now, but it would be nice to be able to do it on the fly, with a remote.

May make a difference with some recordings. I haven't done it for a quarter of a century, so maybe fewer now than before.

And no, there is no demand for such a product or feature in consumer audio, by in large. Pro gear seems to include it, as a way to "align" different tracks, not due to any concern about absolute phase.

I wonder why phase switch were common on DACs in the 1990s? Audio Alchemy DDE, Sentec DiAna comes to mind. I had the DDE 1.0 once but it broke.

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
I wonder why phase switch were common on DACs in the 1990s? Audio Alchemy DDE, Sentec DiAna comes to mind. I had the DDE 1.0 once but it broke.
I think a DAC or two that came through my system had that feature, but none had a remote button for it.

It's probably not worth getting up and fiddling with the menus, but a remote button switch would be fun.

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
a nice to have... you could have one built but probably will cost you over $ 100.-.

Cheapest way is to use one of those remote light switches.
Use a 110V AC relay with 4PCO contacts + relay socket with screw connectors.
Build it into a box with 4 XLR's and you're done.
No soldering required other than the XLR sockets.
Anyone wants to do a commercial product for this?

If you use nice Neutrik connectors, you can charge $300-$500 for it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You could probably only sell one of them.... to you.

For $ 500 I will build you one in a nice looking cabinet with Neutrik or other brand connectors and real small signal relays and ship it for free to the US (import duties would be yours).

Chances are someone handy with a soldering iron reading this will make one for you a bit cheaper.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've not been following this thread so apologies if this has been brought up. Why are we worrying about physical polarity switching when doing so in software is trivial?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
If it's digital use sox.

sox -v -1 source-file out-file

Dimitry stated he has 10 different (also analog) sources and wants remote control. ;)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've not been following this thread so apologies if this has been brought up. Why are we worrying about physical polarity switching when doing so in software is trivial?

I use mainly Mac Mini where I listen through iTunes, Spotify and vinyl through real-time declicker. I could hook up an external DAC with polarity switch, but there is no cheap and good one with this feature, or use some app to switch polarity for the audio out signal. But have no idea if that is possible. It would be a nice feature though.

mansr

Major Contributor
You could probably only sell one of them.... to you.

For $ 500 I will build you one in a nice looking cabinet with Neutrik or other brand connectors and real small signal relays and ship it for free to the US (import duties would be yours).

Chances are someone handy with a soldering iron reading this will make one for you a bit cheaper.
I'll do it for $499.95.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
damn you ...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll build one that switches between three polarities for $600. Much more economical per polarity.

Top Bottom