• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

Thermionics

This is a Japan 100v Technics SP10 Mk2 that @JP completely rebuilt and then sold to me at a very fair price. Plinth is from Moldova via eBay, arm is a Fidelity Research FR24 Mk2, and cart is a Denon DL103r with an aluminum cap. For mono LPs, I have a Lyra Helikon Mono cart I (also) bought from JP. He's apparently my Analog Pusher Man. ;)

20211226_054630435_iOS.jpg

I also have an SP15 + Sumiko FT3 arm + potted Denon DL103r with a line contact stylus in the home theater and a Technics SL10 + EPS 310mc at the office that I found for $35 about 10 years back.

What can I say, I've got a thing for Technics DD turntables.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Keeping the thread filled with content, posting another recent photo of my set up:

Transrotor Fat Bob S turntable,
Acoustic Solid Arm
Benz Micro Ebony L cartridge.

Sitting atop an isolation base I designed, 2 1/2" of maple block w smoked finish, atop other hidden
layers of MDF and steel, sitting on Townshend isolation (spring) pods:

View attachment 175615
Holy fucking cow.

I have to admit to being in awe of someone making the investment in time and money for a setup such as this. I have a lowly Rega Planar 3, not fit even to sweep up the crumbs from under the turntable of this beast.

But it sounds pretty damn good to me.

Is the ROI (time/money) based on what you get back in sound worth it? (I can certainly understand the joy in operating such a behemoth)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Holy fucking cow.

I have to admit to being in awe of someone making the investment in time and money for a setup such as this. I have a lowly Rega Planar 3, not fit even to sweep up the crumbs from under the turntable of this beast.

But it sounds pretty damn good to me.

Is the ROI (time/money) based on what you get back in sound worth it? (I can certainly understand the joy in operating such a behemoth)

Ha! Frankly buying that beast was a sort of Hail Mary in a way.

I'd had a good Micro Seiki DD-40 Turntable for a long while (hand-me-down from my father in law). I really liked how vinyl sounded on that turntable, though I'd say it edged more in to the "nostalgic" level of sound quality.

Once I found myself buying lots of records my audiophile tendencies kicked in, using it as an excuse to upgrade, just to see how good I could get vinyl to sound. This turntable came on the market at a very good deal, essentially brand new, new arm, new expensive cartridge. I could never afford all of it new and after a bit of research took a chance and went for it. On one hand I was skeptical that I'd realize much sonic performance, figuring there is only so much you can do with turntable design. On the other hand, knowing my upgrade itches, I saw it as an opportunity to leapfrog the gradual upgrade process and go for it. If it didn't work out, I got it at a good enough price to sell without a loss after trying it.
And I was just as happy anyway because it looked cool :)

As to the benefits, it was quite a change to a high mass turntable, with higher end arm and much more expensive cartridge. Not that any of that automatically buys you better sound. I can only report that subjectively it was very, very much worth the purchase for me. Sonically everything seemed to get better - lower noise (where there was always some level of record hiss playing a record on my old turntable, this could play back clean records essentially silently. The sound just seemed cleaner, clearer, that much closer to CD-like. The dense passages on records that, on the micro seiki, would seem to sort of get confused and hazy, like I was hearing through a slight haze of built up distortion, all sounded really clear, clean on this turntable. It didn't seem to matter how many instruments built up in a track, or how complex, I could hear every little element cleanly. So it certainly seemed to me to be a sonic upgrade.

Add to that, in person it really looks and feels like a million bucks - it screams that classic "German engineering" vibe, the fit, finish, precision of how it seems to operate.

Never in a million years would I ever advise anyone else to spend that kind of money on a turntable (especially what these cost new). But I can only say it worked out great for me. But...I can be nutty that way.

Oh, I'd also add: as to the turntable isolation base I built, most of it was solving a practical problem: I had to put the turntable on a pretty old fairly flimsy small Lovan stand, on a sprung wood floor, and vibrations from footsteps on the floor really disturbed a turntable when placed like that. My son's footsteps would easily skip records. So I tested tons of material for vibration absorption or decoupling, found that some spring based pods were by far the best, and then threw a bunch of material I'd already had together under the base in a sort of contrained-layer-damping idea. It worked very well, measurably reducing vibration getting to the turntable, and footsteps won't skip it any more. I would not claim any other sonic benefits from the base beyond that.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And I was just as happy anyway because it looked cool :)

Possibly the main reason I'd have something like this if I could. I'm a sucker for beautiful engineering almost regardless of how it performs. :cool:

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
SL1200GR
A-T VM540ML
Oyaide mat (no, did not change SQ as far as I can tell) did need to raise arm ~3 mm to get 23 deg.
A-T 600 gm weight, did appear to tighten bass up to my tin ears

Aligned with an old Cart-Align

Sounds better than my ears can hear lol

Attachments

• 50951404-9852-4EE4-A7D5-3163AD5C7E2C.jpeg
    50951404-9852-4EE4-A7D5-3163AD5C7E2C.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 123

Ingenieur

Keeping the thread filled with content, posting another recent photo of my set up:

Transrotor Fat Bob S turntable,
Acoustic Solid Arm
Benz Micro Ebony L cartridge.

Sitting atop an isolation base I designed, 2 1/2" of maple block w smoked finish, atop other hidden
layers of MDF and steel, sitting on Townshend isolation (spring) pods:

View attachment 175615

Wow
How much does the platter weigh!?
75-100 lb?
Aluminum?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow
How much does the platter weigh!?
75-100 lb?
Aluminum?

Total weight is 66 lb, the platter itself is 45 lb if I recall correctly.

It's actually a minimalist design, quite small, the plinth/platter turntable itself being only the size of a record.

It was one of the first turntables to employ a magnetic bearing, so the actual platter is slightly decoupled from the bearing turning it via magnetism. A lot of other manufacturers started doing that afterwards.

sq225917

Major Contributor
@Matt, transrotor have been round a while but maglev tables pre date theirs by years.

Platine verdier 1979. Vs 2005

Nabussan

Post a picture of a vinyl lathe that you think looks good.:D

Performance information, optional. I am most interested in some nice pictures. How vinyl sounds is of secondary importance. For me anyway.:)

Feel free to tell us about your youth's vinyl player. Take a trip down memory lane.
Something positive, for example, do you remember the first record you bought for your own money? Or something negative, for example those damn grounding problems and the hum sound that never really disappeared despite how many wires you pulled into the heating element or when you saw with a tear in your eye when the record store closed in the place where you live (you might think it was good, avoid the scratch and fuss with vinyl).

Some stories about vinyl and vinyl players quite simply.:)

My turntable from my teens. And Thorens TD 166 MkII. Is not anything remarkable or so but it was my turntable. Yummy. Did I think then ..:p
(not my one in the picture but that model)
View attachment 157326
I bought the TD166 MKII in 1979 for 500 Deutsche Mark and sold it some years ago for around € 150 (DM 300), if I remember correctly. Quite good value preservation.

Nabussan

It's a nice workhorse for a turntable, does its job. I kept mine, see post # 167 :)
My reliable Thorens workhorse had been retired a long time before I sold it along with a good number of Jazz and classical vinyl.
Today, the lazy driver uses to whip his telephone to enjoy totally dematerialized streams of music, and I suppose my CD collection will follow the vinyl's fate as soon as my wife needs more space in the stable in our basement ...

Tremolo

PXL_20220103_232745342.MP.jpg

Collecting dust for years. Today I was in an analog revival mood and I spent hours to clean and setup. I forgot how many things you have to fix to make a record spin correctly. I went crazy to adjust azimuth 'cause I didn't find a suitable screwdriver. Now I deserve to click play on foobar2K and relax listening to my music files (the analog mood disappeared, maybe tomorrow ...).

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
My reliable Thorens workhorse had been retired a long time before I sold it along with a good number of Jazz and classical vinyl.
Today, the lazy driver uses to whip his telephone to enjoy totally dematerialized streams of music, and I suppose my CD collection will follow the vinyl's fate as soon as my wife needs more space in the stable in our basement ...
Sure, but in a relationship you have to give and take and compromise. As long as both parties are satisfied.
In many cases, I think the ladies just accept turntables. My experience anyway. It's just based on my friends so it can be random. In many cases, the women reasoned like this: He can have his toys and be amused by them, it's perfectly ok as long as I can have my hobbies in peace.
It is not the appearance of the turntable itself that is the problem,on the contrary, women can like turntables, purely aesthetically. The problem is having to listen to music together, in speakers. Both should like the music. It does not matter if it is lossless streamed of the highest quality or via a 78 rpm turntable. Therefore, of course, all these headphones.Although in many families there are separate hobby rooms (for example separate listening rooms), men's or women's caves or whatever you call it. :)

A couple I know there the man in the house got a record player a few years ago, for nostalgic reasons. However, he got tired of it and now it's his wife who plays vinyl instead. Now it's she who thinks it's fun to look for vinyl when she buys other knick-knacks at her flea market rounds.She likes handicrafts and is artistic. She likes vinyl because of the tactile feeling and she mainly likes to listen to vinyl and read the album covers. In addition, sewing needle as vinyl needle..A smart woman.:)

I enclose a picture of a really old piece. The owner lives about 25 kilometers from me. It works. He writes about it in this thread:

a.jpg

Edit:
By the way, the couple I mentioned. They listen to a lot of music together. They ran at rock concerts when they were younger. However, the cheap concert beer has been replaced by a little more decent wine when they listen to music in the weekends.:)

Last edited:

apson

Forum Donor
Somewhat recently new to me Linn LP12 with Naim PS. SME M2 tonearm and Dynavector XX2 MKII cartridge. Prior to that was (which I still use in another room) Pro-ject Debut Carbon EVO with a VM540ML cartridge (I blame this cartridge for every insane vinyl purchase since). Also my daughter has a Denon DP300F in her room which is great -- also fitted with VM540ML and using the (gasp!) internal preamp.

IMG_1667.JPG

DHT 845

Block PS-100+
$1700 brand new. I am tempted to buy just to look at it ... :)

1641322678560.png

Nabussan

Sure, but in a relationship you have to give and take and compromise. As long as both parties are satisfied.
In many cases, I think the ladies just accept turntables. My experience anyway. It's just based on my friends so it can be random. In many cases, the women reasoned like this: He can have his toys and be amused by them, it's perfectly ok as long as I can have my hobbies in peace.
It is not the appearance of the turntable itself that is the problem,on the contrary, women can like turntables, purely aesthetically. The problem is having to listen to music together, in speakers. Both should like the music. It does not matter if it is lossless streamed of the highest quality or via a 78 rpm turntable. Therefore, of course, all these headphones.Although in many families there are separate hobby rooms (for example separate listening rooms), men's or women's caves or whatever you call it. :)

A couple I know there the man in the house got a record player a few years ago, for nostalgic reasons. However, he got tired of it and now it's his wife who plays vinyl instead. Now it's she who thinks it's fun to look for vinyl when she buys other knick-knacks at her flea market rounds.She likes handicrafts and is artistic. She likes vinyl because of the tactile feeling and she mainly likes to listen to vinyl and read the album covers. In addition, sewing needle as vinyl needle..A smart woman.:)

I enclose a picture of a really old piece. The owner lives about 25 kilometers from me. It works. He writes about it in this thread:

View attachment 176589

Edit:
By the way, the couple I mentioned. They listen to a lot of music together. They ran at rock concerts when they were younger. However, the cheap concert beer has been replaced by a little more decent wine when they listen to music in the weekends.:)
In my case, wife and stereo are in a sad relation. Not because she didn't like me toying around with my speakers in the living room. She even enjoys the Weihnachtsoratorium once a year, or occasionally projecting a movie.
Rather, she uses to play the piano from time to time, and that is when I each time get reminded of the sad futility of trying to technically produce the illusion of live music.
At least, I don't believe in 2-channel stereo. Atmos- or Auro3D-based spatial audio might do the trick, but I don't see the content.
So listening to those ancient grammophones is perhaps more honest than using the more advanced stereo gear of our times. Indeed, my wife and I will always agree that a bottle of Riesling or Pinot Noir will render a higher degree of true sensation than the highest-fidelity audio system.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
In my case, wife and stereo are in a sad relation. Not because she didn't like me toying around with my speakers in the living room. She even enjoys the Weihnachtsoratorium once a year, or occasionally projecting a movie.
Rather, she uses to play the piano from time to time, and that is when I each time get reminded of the sad futility of trying to technically produce the illusion of live music.
At least, I don't believe in 2-channel stereo. Atmos- or Auro3D-based spatial audio might do the trick, but I don't see the content.
So listening to those ancient grammophones is perhaps more honest than using the more advanced stereo gear of our times. Indeed, my wife and I will always agree that a bottle of Riesling or Pinot Noir will render a higher degree of true sensation than the highest-fidelity audio system.
Well is it live via Hifi stuff you want to access ... forget it. It ABSOLUTELY does not matter what you have. You can have the best of the best Hifi available. It still gives only an illusion. And here's the most interesting thing. If it's still an illusion, a faint reflection, then why not create the experience, subjective you want? Now I swear in the ASR church by saying subjectivity but the nice thing about Hifi is that you can do as you please.:)I say that even though I stand on the objectivist side as such regarding measurements and performance of Hifi stuff.

Check here, you do not have to count on amp power but read posts 19, 21,26 and listen to the song with Jussi Björling and what she says. I know you probably already know this, but I'm mentioning it anyway. Here:

Older CDs can help a little.

Attachments

• shot_2022-01-04_23-53-08.png
    shot_2022-01-04_23-53-08.png
    560.6 KB · Views: 73
Top Bottom