• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

90 degree compression driver adaptor ?

professor_jonny

HI I have an a speaker and it has a screw in compression driver in the top that is 65mm in diameter and very close to the top of th enclosure and wont fit any thing with a bigger diameter.

It seems all drivers with simular dimentions are rated at 20-40w max and they are junky looking and the original driver is super expensive and very prone to failure, most people seem to block of the horn and screw a standard driver to the front of the horn it seems (hack job)

I'm wondering if there is a 90 degree manifold that I could buy or make to adapt a larger diameter driver i see there is y adaptors for twin drivers but i have not come across an elbow?

I can weld up something but im unsure if it would effect the sound output or not.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the original driver is super expensive and very prone to failure
Usually the high end compression drivers allow you to easily replace the diaphragm.

What is the speaker model?

OP
P

professor_jonny

The speaker is an alto hg00640 8 ohm 20w 40w peak as below on ebay:

This is the replacment diaphragm

Yes I can replace the diaphram but I want to put in something better maybe a 4" 200w driver to attatch to the existing horn.
Going off various forums it seems that these drivers fail very often and i'd like to adapt something better as oposed to replacing it or buying a new diaphragm.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hm. That looks like a PA speaker. If you are blowing the compression driver out, you may be trying to push the volume too high.

Does that compression driver use a 1-3/8” 18 TPI thread or what is the thread?

OP
P

professor_jonny

yes it is a standard 1-3/8 thread .

I'm very sure it has been abused but it is a common failure im told to believe

HG00640.jpg

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
most people seem to block of the horn and screw a standard driver to the front of the horn it seems (hack job)
With a careful-creative patch-job you could probably make an acceptable modification. Or maybe you can replace the entire baffle. But you'll lose the characteristics/advantages of the horn.

I'm wondering if there is a 90 degree manifold that I could buy or make to adapt a larger diameter driver i see there is y adaptors for twin drivers but i have not come across an elbow?

I can weld up something but im unsure if it would effect the sound output or not.
Probably, at higher frequencies where the wavelengths are similar-to, or less-than, the physical dimensions. But I have no clue about how much effect.

Top Bottom