• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How many ionizing and/or non-ionizing sources AND how much dosage must I be bathing in 24/7 before I must admit that I am a differently mapped human than when human-kind did not take such continuous exposure, just a century ago. \
BTW: FCC limit of 1.6W/kg exposure dosage (if you read links) is defined per body weight. Ask me if I really care how much RF exposure my feet get.:p
Might want to think about ionizing vs non-ionizing radiation to guide you.
I was simply asking which one of the answers should "guide me"... but only so that we can tolerate opposing views that are contradictory.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think there is any plausible possibility of producing large enough quantities of Biofuel when we can barely grow enough food to feed the worlds human poulation?
There is actually enough food, but the distribution of the food to the people is the major problem. 36% of the food we grow doesn't even go to humans but to other animals which we then eat in turn. So we could start doing something about that. having said that: currently, around 9% is used for biofuel, which covers about 10% of fuel used for transportation. So indeed, we cannot rely on biofuels alone. Even if we cut meat, and assume the rest of the food is enough for everybody, you'll get to about 40% biofuel in the most optimistic estimates.

Hydrogen fuel is a whole different story. Most of the current hydrogen is a byproduct of fossil fuel production. There is currently very little sustainable hydrogen. Making hydrogen via electrolysis is not yet as efficient as battery technologies. From what I found, currently, the best tech yields about 75% efficiency. I was rather surprised by that number, thought it would be much lower. Though some companies even claim electrolysis up to 95% is possible. That would make it instantly very competitive! What are waiting for...?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Making hydrogen is one thing, even if you achieve 95% efficiency on green power. Compressing, transporting, and storing it is another.
Oh, absolutely! But it's a start at least. And the other things will follow suit. Specifically, compression has major efficiency challenges. But up to 80% efficiency is already possible as well, so it's going in the right direction.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
How many ionizing and/or non-ionizing sources AND how much dosage must I be bathing in 24/7 before I must admit that I am a differently mapped human than when human-kind did not take such continuous exposure, just a century ago. \
BTW: FCC limit of 1.6W/kg exposure dosage (if you read links) is defined per body weight. Ask me if I really care how much RF exposure my feet get.:p

I was simply asking which one of the answers should "guide me"... but only so that we can tolerate opposing views that are contradictory.

How much do you go out in the sun? Both ionizing and non-ionizing radiation there, 1 kw/sq meter. LOTS of radiation.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.carscoops.com/2023/03/t...flames-from-inside-while-driving-on-the-road/

The vehicle had several prior accidents and was on the way home from a body shop. Nothing left but a burnt out shell after the fire.
They ruled out the battery. It apparently had been in collisions and a flood. So what is the relevance? I've seen three cars on fire on the highway the past 2 months. None were EV'S. What are we to learn other than poorly done repairs can result in a fire?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They ruled out the battery. It apparently had been in collisions and a flood. So what is the relevance? I've seen three cars on fire on the highway the past 2 months. None were EV'S. What are we to learn other than poorly done repairs can result in a fire?
We can learn about each other from the facts we choose to share.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So I deserve to be scolded?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We can learn about each other from the facts we choose to share.
Look, I'm not enthusiastic about EV's being forced on large portions of the US and all of Europe, or the cost of the subsidies. The charging infrastructure is woefully inadequate and is not keeping up with the goals for adoption. I believe battery technology and infrastructure will improve, but right now I don't want one.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So I deserve to be scolded?
I'm not scolding you. I am wondering why that was worth posting. If I said I was held up in traffic because a Nissan Altima was on fire and a firetruck was putting it out ( which I was), what did that add to the topic?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look, I'm not enthusiastic about EV's being forced on large portions of the US and all of Europe, or the cost of the subsidies. The charging infrastructure is woefully inadequate and is not keeping up with the goals for adoption. I believe battery technology and infrastructure will improve, but right now I don't want one.
RT, I hate to say but you wrong here, if the auto makers kept up with the demand for EVs you might have a case. In Northern California I see empty chargers around day and night. My friends plan their lunches around a charge which now becomes an incentive for business to install money making chargers. With gas above $5 dollars here the EV consumption will just increase and cause the auto companies and venture capital to to double down on their huge investments. Maybe you will be hold out on the EV thing but others are clambering for them.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not scolding you. I am wondering why that was worth posting. If I said I was held up in traffic because a Nissan Altima was on fire and a firetruck was putting it out ( which I was), what did that add to the topic?
The battery may have been ruled out as the cause of the fire, but like all EV fires, there was nothing left of the car, and I expect the battery eventually caught fire. It's claimed that solid state batteries do not have the problem with fires.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I find this genuinely interesting.
Would you be fine then by letting economics run its course, as in: slowly letting EVs become cheaper until the were cheaper than ICE cars? That would imo imply that the now dominant OEMs would literally go bankrupt.
Or are you convinced this would never happen?
I'm truly curious what your view is regarding this?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
RT, I hate to say but you wrong here, if the auto makers kept up with the demand for EVs you might have a case. In Northern California I see empty chargers around day and night. My friends plan their lunches around a charge which now becomes an incentive for business to install money making chargers. With gas above $5 dollars here the EV consumption will just increase and cause the auto companies and venture capital to to double down on their huge investments. Maybe you will be hold out on the EV thing but others are clambering for them.
The rest of the US is not Nor Cal. Gas in Houston is $3. Public chargers are rare. If people are clambering for EV's why is so much taxpayer money going to subsidies? Seems like a disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom