• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry, but boring as heck to watch!!
How is it more or less boring than any auto racing. Without qualifying the difference seems like you are trolling to me.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I've watched formula e. Cool tech. I'm sorry, but boring as heck to watch!!
I agree. The reason it is boring is how they construct the track layout. It would be boring with ice cars as well. They have way too many sharp chicanes much too close together.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Destiny of The Car
  1. ICE => EV => CAV
  2. Proud car owner => Mobility as a service consumer
  3. Lifestyle => Commodity (I am here and I want to be there)
  4. Dirty, unhealthy, dangerous => Quiet, safe, clean (argue the transitional details all you like, no difference to the destiny)
  5. Resource intensive personal ownership => Efficient service provision and leasing
The clock is ticking. Once the legislators realize the societal gains from the future of V2V V2I and CAV technologies, maybe ten years away to realization and another ten to implementation, it will be game over for the manually controlled motor vehicle.

Car fans, say your teary farewells and move on.
Among younger people, not nearly as many are as enamored with automobiles. Many don't care to own one. Find it an unfortunate necessity. These people will welcome mobility as a service when it is available. Few tears will be shed by them.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Destiny of The Car
  1. ICE => EV => CAV
  2. Proud car owner => Mobility as a service consumer
  3. Lifestyle => Commodity (I am here and I want to be there)
  4. Dirty, unhealthy, dangerous => Quiet, safe, clean (argue the transitional details all you like, no difference to the destiny)
  5. Resource intensive personal ownership => Efficient service provision and leasing
The clock is ticking. Once the legislators realize the societal gains from the future of V2V V2I and CAV technologies, maybe ten years away to realization and another ten to implementation, it will be game over for the manually controlled motor vehicle.

I will miss my Porsche but I believe you are right for about 80% of light vehicles. Legislators need not be involved, people will prefer it. Just like some people timeshare jets or ski chalets instead of own them outright, but better.

The convenience of using a handset to call the (newest model) specific vehicle for the task at hand, have it arrive in single-digit minutes, and then ABANDON IT at the destination, all for 1/3 the cost of ownership or less, will be very attractive. Add to that, all the applications for non-drivers: taking children to afterschool sports, elders to doctors, and far lower-cost deliveries, will have us scratching our heads how we ever put up with driving vehicles we invested a year of pre-tax earnings into (yes, that’s what it is, counting operating costs).

Sales people with samples, tradesmen with tools, others with specialized needs will still have their own customized vehicles. Rural dwellers too, who can’t be served in a timely way.

Sports driving will still exist, like this chap. Great fun!
1672877408165.jpeg

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think that antagonizing people helps build good will toward EV's?
Why do you feel antagonized? Predictions of the future, speculative as they are, are not directed at individuals.

trackrat888

How is it more or less boring than any auto racing. Without qualifying the difference seems like you are trolling to me.
Enough with the Troll-y accusations I get this isn't a car forum, but c'mon, a big appeal of auto racing is the roar, the complexity, the pit stops. The dAnGeR!

trackrat888

Why do you feel antagonized? Predictions of the future, speculative as they are, are not directed at individuals.
I don't feel antagonized. I ll just continue with my knuckle dragging ways, grease under my fingernails on the weekends and my class AB amp ;)

trackrat888

Among younger people, not nearly as many are as enamored with automobiles. Many don't care to own one. Find it an unfortunate necessity. These people will welcome mobility as a service when it is available. Few tears will be shed by them.
Agree and agree. Many things I found appealing as a young adult are now passe.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert

Yeah, my older (32) owns a nice 4wd SUV, but it's not an option, she does geophysics field work. Yes, batman, sometimes you DO have to drive out into the middle of that cow pasture!

But she swears she intends to make it last 20 years. Then again our two cars are 2008 and 2013. And the both work fine. The 2008 is likely to get replaced soonish, but for something quieter inside. (70 year old guy makes living listening to things, must be able to continue to listen, thank you)

And you know I should add that the last two cars we had were totaled by rear-ending and hitting the loss-limit on them, and yes, they were older cars. We lose more cars to other drivers on cell phones than anything else, it seems.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure many of you heard about the Tesla that went off Highway 1 in California in a place called the Devil's slide. It dropped more than 250 ft, and two adults plus two children in car seats survived. There have been many accidents here and usually they are fatal. Note it did not catch fire. And no it was not self driving. Appears to be an intentional act to kill everyone aboard by the driver according to latest reports. Apparently the Tesla was just too tough.

1672885868555.png

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure many of you heard about the Tesla that went of Highway 1 in California in a place called the Devil's slide. It dropped more than 250 ft, and two adults plus two children in car seats survived. There have been many accidents here and usually they are fatal. Note it did not catch fire. And no it was not self driving. Appears to be an intentional act to kill everyone aboard by the driver according to latest reports. Apparently the Tesla was just too tough.

View attachment 254890
Yeah, that is really incredible. So scary to think about.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I'm sure many of you heard about the Tesla that went off Highway 1 in California in a place called the Devil's slide. It dropped more than 250 ft, and two adults plus two children in car seats survived. There have been many accidents here and usually they are fatal. Note it did not catch fire. And no it was not self driving. Appears to be an intentional act to kill everyone aboard by the driver according to latest reports. Apparently the Tesla was just too tough.

That road. I swear a rental company was trying to end me by giving me a Yaris to drive from San Jose airport to Monterrey and down Big Sur.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Legislators need not be involved, people will prefer it. Just like some people timeshare jets or ski chalets instead of own them outright, but better.
Rural dwellers too, who can’t be served in a timely way.

Sports driving will still exist, like this chap. Great fun!
View attachment 254877
Now, you've hit the nail on the head.
Some people think that we will move to the city, for the shows, convenience, or whatever.
I don't even own a TV, have cable or a number of other things that cities have that I don't feel I need in my life. On the other hand, internet, cell phones and other stuff is handy. We (and y'all pick and choose how each of us wants to live. There isn't a right and wrong to it.
Hunting, raising our chickens, pigs, growing our own food, that is our relaxation (and exercise, no gym needed), swimming in our pond when we want to, whatever.
Y'all do what y'all want & we'll do what we want. Maybe some of y'all can come get some organic plated food & have a homemade brew with us sometimes and maybe some of us can come & go to a restaurant & take in a show sometimes.
Most of all, just like we are supposed to be doing here, keep the dang legislators out of it. It seems that the more any of them get involved in the lives of city & country folks, the more the legislators screw things up. Economies don't tank themselves.
There is still great audio equipment to be bought. That is what I need money for.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't but I guarantee others I'm sure do (mostly people that he would like to think his way)
for this completely inane and self-aggrandizing, rude statement:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nah, let the clock tick! I commend you for taking up that mantle tho...

Besides, there's nothing really interesting about EVs to me. It's an electric motor(s), some software, and a battery. ICE has all those interesting bits inside you can modify, tinker, and ponder! :)
Having worked in motor racing all my career I would agree that for racing the multiple ways one can improve the car and engine is where my interest has always been.
EVs don't make any sense for racing and the clever hybrids used now in F1 are still very heavy - anathema to racing. When light hybrid first became legal my first estimate was the weight wasn't worth the power gain, but that quickly changed with the rules.

The argument is that having hybrid engines and more sustainable fuel is more politically acceptable to defend the continued existence of motor sport but the only series in the world with enough resource to pay for the hybrids is Formula 1.

It also ignores the fact that the vast majority of the pollution caused by sport comes from spectators driving to the event, so football is almost certainly worse for the environment than motor racing anyway, along with other popular sports with multiple matches a year,.

I have run plug in hybrids, PHEVs and now an EV since 2005, I am completely sold on electric motors for road transport both for environmental and drivability reasons.

I do have a flat plane crank V8 screamer for fun but drive fewer than 300 miles per year in it (often far fewer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom