• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a bit out of my own expertise, needless to say. I did talk to some folks in the field, who were somewhat discouraged that they were basically being shunted aside by "more coal" and "natural gas" proponents. This was somewhere between 1996 and 2002.
They where all for geothermal energy? Coal mining on the eastern slopes of The Rocky Mountains north and south for all of The Province of Alberta is banned. There is a lot of coal there and lots of it is high grade metallurgical coal but it is being left in the ground. Selenium is poisoning the streams around the present major metallurgical coal operation and so no more coal mines on the east side of The Rockies. The natural gas operations are in full swing/fully in operation and extraction is prepping for the new natural gas shipping port on the west coast that should be operational soon. So there is still lotsa money available and investment for natural gas. It is required to cut down on global emissions and provide ethical energy.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
They where all for geothermal energy? Coal mining on the eastern slopes of The Rocky Mountains north and south for all of The Province of Alberta is banned. There is a lot of coal there and lots of it is high grade metallurgical coal but it is being left in the ground. Selenium is poisoning the streams around the present major metallurgical coal operation and so no more coal mines on the east side of The Rockies. The natural gas operations are in full swing/fully in operation and extraction is prepping for the new natural gas shipping port on the west coast that should be operational soon. So there is still lotsa money available and investment for natural gas. It is required to cut down on global emissions and provide ethical energy.

They were proposing a geothermal plant, and it was rejected for a variety of reasons (some of which they thought were questionable). This was in the east part of the USA.

I'm not enthusiastic about coal at all. I've seen the havoc in WV among other places. I'm sticking to reporting what I was told by a couple of people trying to develop one of the hot spots in WV, since like I said, this is beyond my own expertise by quite a bit. I have talked to a couple of people who have some insight into the operation Ca who did repeat the particulate and acid issues but not in detail. It's a materials problem, but it does sound like it could be solved.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm being attacked here by another member. Someone came to my support and he was attacked as well. Am I the only one who sees this? How about a little help here. Please report the aggressive posts above. This should not be allowed.

Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't search the eastern part of NY (like NYC and burbs), but here in the western rurals, there's 4 on dealer lots. If I want to cross the state line, that goes up to 23. No idea if that's a big inventory or not.
He may have meant 122 cars available in the country? :)

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They were proposing a geothermal plant, and it was rejected for a variety of reasons (some of which they thought were questionable). This was in the east part of the USA.
For sure it would be good. I imagine hydronics for a entire city. Unlimited hot water. There are so many questions about the energy source that I think people simply have not gotten around to it. It will come.
I'm not enthusiastic about coal at all. I've seen the havoc in WV among other places. I'm sticking to reporting what I was told by a couple of people trying to develop one of the hot spots in WV, since like I said, this is beyond my own expertise by quite a bit. I have talked to a couple of people who have some insight into the operation Ca who did repeat the particulate and acid issues but not in detail. It's a materials problem, but it does sound like it could be solved.
I come from a smelter city with a 70 car to 100 car train full of coke going in every day. The entire area downwind and in close proximity to the smokestacks was dead earth. Old bare wood trees that have not had bark for ~80 years sticking out of bare rain marked dirt that has no bugs, nothing and birds are not as common and it looks pretty desolate. Acid from the smelter operations caused that.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I come from a smelter city with a 70 car to 100 car train full of coke going in every day. The entire area downwind and in close proximity to the smokestacks was dead earth. Old bare wood trees that have not had bark for ~80 years sticking out of bare rain marked dirt that has no bugs, nothing and birds are not as common and it looks pretty desolate. Acid from the smelter operations caused that.
Seems like a perfectly good tradeoff if I don't have to live there and I get to become rich. Me! Me! Me!

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm being attacked here by another member. Someone came to my support and he was attacked as well. Am I the only one who sees this? How about a little help here. Please report the aggressive posts above. This should not be allowed.
What is the issue @Ron Texas? I don't follow every comment and flow of commentary and so maybe I am missing something? From what I can tell this far in is that it just seems to be ongoing group dynamics. Not some sort of conspiracy.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
For sure it would be good. I imagine hydronics for a entire city. Unlimited hot water. There are so many questions about the energy source that I think people simply have not gotten around to it. It will come.

Indeed, especially in a place where it's hard to get fuel (other than coal) in to the area. (The geology is rather challenging.)

I grew up downwind of a steel plant and coking furnace. You'll get no argument from me on that. They're gone, along with the local economy, but the trees and grass are growing much better.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like a perfectly good tradeoff if I don't have to live there and I get to become rich. Me! Me! Me!
They have made major improvements to the smoke stacks emissions stuff. The acid levels have decreased and vegetation growth is now occurring in areas not so close to the smokestacks but it is still progress.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
They have made major improvements to the smoke stacks emissions stuff. The acid levels have decreased and vegetation growth is now occurring in areas not so close to the smokestacks but it is still progress.

The solution in the area I grew up in was to just close up and tear it down. The heavy metals in the water table, rather astonishing soil pH, etc, well, they remain.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the issue @Ron Texas? I don't follow every comment and flow of commentary and so maybe I am missing something? From what I can tell this far in is that it just seems to be ongoing group dynamics. Not some sort of conspiracy.
It's definitely not a conspiracy because there is only one bad actor. If this is group dynamics, then it's not a group I want to be part of. Go back to the post I made about the Mach E having a price cut and follow it carefully. If nobody else can see this, then I don't belong here and it's time for me to take another long vacation from ASR. I provide a lot of interesting content so it's their loss. This place will do fine without me. However I am getting the distinct feeling some animals are more equal than others and it really gives me the creeps.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The solution in the area I grew up in was to just close up and tear it down. The heavy metals in the water table, rather astonishing soil pH, etc, well, they remain.
That is where it is at. What is done in Canada usually flows through the USA as many of the waterways are carrying toxins caused my mining operations that are leaching into the streams, rivers and lakes. So lots of mining operations will not proceed, some have even been cancelled and closed in effort to maintain the watersheds as much as is possible and ensure downstream flows are kept as pure as can be with the damage that has already been done. This will take time.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Go back to the post I made about the Mach E having a price cut and follow it carefully.
I skimmed and scanned and did not find the post about the Mach E stuff. I went back as far as 4 pages back or maybe 5. Can you link me please?
I am getting the distinct feeling some animals are more equal than others and it really gives me the creeps.
I can't comment and speak to this other than saying I'm not seeing it. If peeps want to have a go at each other in the commentary I think it is simply commentary and not some sort of formal meeting place. Not to be taken really super seriously. It's serious although this is the wild west internet and one could operate accordingly. :D

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
This thread is a constant source of Reports and aggravation. Understandably this topic is a highly charged subject. It has Zero to do with Audio Science and is therefore off topic to begin with. We have tried to keep this thread alive but it always results in upset members, dozens of Reports and hurt feelings. Almost 200 pages and we’re still having the same arguments and problems. Can’t say we didn’t try. Time to move on.

Thread will remain locked. Let’s get back to our primary focus of Audio Science and Music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom