• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha Sound Fields in Software Impulse responses?

rxp

I've been on a bit of a nostalgia kick with this hobby recently and I've been thinking about when I first got into the hobby with my dad's Yamaha and all the Sound Fields it had. I actually did make use of it back then I did enjoy them. I also recall he had a car stereo with a similar feature.

Now I've played around with Impulcifer and virtualising speakers into headphones I get the power of impulse responses and convolvers. I was wondering if anyone here would have any impulse response from those Yamaha sound fields? I could then use Jriver or HeSuVi to try and use them.

Reasons being - nostalgia and I've taken to sitting 1m away from my 77" OLED to simulate a giant IMAX screen. I'd like some of the theater sound fields to add real (not simulated) reverb/echo to make me feel as if I'm listening in a much larger space when I'm listening so near field (1m away from my LCR). I use Spatial Audio on the Air Pods Pro 2 to good effect for this too but I'd like to pay around with the speakers.

I was surprised to see Yamaha still includes them to this day with their AVRs. I might even pick up a used older model but I'm happy with my SR6012

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been on a bit of a nostalgia kick with this hobby recently and I've been thinking about when I first got into the hobby with my dad's Yamaha and all the Sound Fields it had.
I recently bought a Yamaha DSP-E 1000 for 60€, just to have some fun with it. :cool:
So far i didn't have time, but it's high on my agenda.

First i wanted to buy a DSP-1 for my collection, but prices where high.
I'm using Hifishark to stalk the used markets in my country for a complete and good unit for less than 100€ or so.

I've taken to sitting 1m away from my 77" OLED to simulate a giant IMAX screen.
First i thought your TV would see this if he had eyes:
:oops:

But now i think it's more like this:
ECs-BNhU0AA4n6m.jpg

I was surprised to see Yamaha still includes them to this day with their AVRs.
I'm surprised other manufacturers don't have this, it's fun, even for stereo:
7b4d0b46-9159-4d72-8f59-da6d493fb403

Reactions: rxp
OP
R

rxp

Haha - the 1m away is similar to IMAX viewing angle recommendation (75-90 degrees). It's fantastic for films that are shot with that in mind. I also have a 120" projection setup (JVC x9000) and I often prefer to sit closer to the OLED. The key to the illusion is to get rid of reference points cause mine's a dedicated room it's a velvet black bat cave.

I was thinking about the used market but it's such a faff to re-wire speakers. I've been playing with JRiver's DSP Studio - they have similar functions but I'm sure it's synthetic rather than measured impulse response. Still, it really was nice but it's a shame there's not a simple toggle on a smart phone app cause I stream my music & I can't apply it to that. I've realised that what I like about many live recordings is when they add reverb to the close mic'd performers. In many recorded albums they don't add this so it's as the singer and instruments are playing without a room. Not tried it with a movie yet, on my list.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
R

rxp

Hadn't searched android actually - just went through the app store. Let me look.

All this is encouraging me to look at Yamaha if my SR6012 ever breaks. I figured I'd just upgrade to the latest Marantz/Denon but I'm reconsidering that now

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom