• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Xduoo xd05 bal2 in dac only mode line out

arrow0309

I would like to use this little portable dac (and headphone amp) for a while on my desktop PC outputting to my SMSL HO200.
Now, as I'm perfectly aware of the Bal2's line out (aux/line out), 3.5mm, 2vrms and very low THD-N (stated) 0.0008%.
I was wondering if I can get something like 4vrms using the balanced 4.4mm headphone out of the Xduoo and through a proper cable or adapter + cables (4.4mm to 2x XLR) to my Bal in of the HO200.
Any input really appreciated!
BTW, I'm using the amp with my new Anandas (Stealth v3) with custom 4.4mm balanced cable.
And yes, I know they're working in "RCA in" mode as well.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Using 4.4mm Pentaconn as Stereo Differential Line out to an external Amp is possible, but if you want to have the xDuoo connected to mains while listening through the HO200 (xDuoo plugged into a PC, charging from a wall wart, plugged into a laptop which itself is charging, etc), then for safety I would first check whether the Pentaconn's fifth GND Pin is properly connected to USB GND.

For headphone output, this GND pin serves no purpose, so some manufacturers may decide to leave it floating.

To check if it is connected, one can use a DIY Pentaconn plug/the 4.4mm to 2x XLR Adapter, a USB breakout board, and a basic multimeter:
pentaconn.jpg perspective_1.jpg

OP
arrow0309

arrow0309

Using 4.4mm Pentaconn as Stereo Differential Line out to an external Amp is possible, but if you want to have the xDuoo connected to mains while listening through the HO200 (xDuoo plugged into a PC, charging from a wall wart, plugged into a laptop which itself is charging, etc), then for safety I would first check whether the Pentaconn's fifth GND Pin is properly connected to USB GND.

For headphone output, this GND pin serves no purpose, so some manufacturers may decide to leave it floating.

To check if it is connected, one can use a DIY Pentaconn plug/the 4.4mm to 2x XLR Adapter, a USB breakout board, and a basic multimeter:
View attachment 366598 View attachment 366597
"The 4.4 plug enters with a clear resistance and a click at the end.

The function of external, independent mains power has been added"

Is this you're talking about?

staticV3

Master Contributor
When two pieces of mains powered equipment are connected to each other, then a GND connection between them serves to reduce ground potential and to prevent damage from ground surges.

Although I lack the knowledge to fully explain the phenomenon, I am aware of cases where using a 2.5mm to 2x XLR adapter to connect a DAC+Headphone Amp to an external Power Amp has resulted in catastrophic damage to the DAC.

If the xDuoo's Pentaconn GND pin is left floating for whatever reason, then that would make it electrically the same as that 2.5mm adapter (Stereo Differential out w/o GND).

staticV3

Master Contributor
"The 4.4 plug enters with a clear resistance and a click at the end.

The function of external, independent mains power has been added"

Is this you're talking about?
He's referring to the xDuoo's second, dedicated USB Power jack, not anything related to grounding.

OP
arrow0309

arrow0309

He's referring to the xDuoo's second, dedicated USB Power jack, not anything related to grounding.
It doesn't make sense since both of them (older XD05 Bal and newer XD05 Bal 2) have two USB C, one for USB input and one for DC Power.

Edit:
He was talking about the rear power switch, having 3 functions with the Bal2 (Batt, Ext and Charge), now I got that.

OP
arrow0309

arrow0309

When two pieces of mains powered equipment are connected to each other, then a GND connection between them serves to reduce ground potential and to prevent damage from ground surges.

Although I lack the knowledge to fully explain the phenomenon, I am aware of cases where using a 2.5mm to 2x XLR adapter to connect a DAC+Headphone Amp to an external Power Amp has resulted in catastrophic damage to the DAC.

If the xDuoo's Pentaconn GND pin is left floating for whatever reason, then that would make it electrically the same as that 2.5mm adapter (Stereo Differential out w/o GND).
I'll see if I can perform that test, thank you.

OP
arrow0309

arrow0309

Old Bal Vs new Bal 2 (rear pcb where the 4.4mm is soldered) maybe someone could tell if it's properly wired?

Attachments

• 20230622_130606.jpg
    20230622_130606.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230622_130607.jpg
    20230622_130607.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom