• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worth buying a new amp?

caioferrari

Hi,
I just got a Revel M105 pair of speakers to replace a Klipsch RB51 and WOW! What a difference

I’m using a Marantz NR1504 to drive them and it has very helpful to improve the horrible Klipsch sound due to it‘s Audissey capabilities. Now, the story Is different since the Revels sound got worse using Audissey.
I was thinking may be I’m spending resources I don’t use, like 5 channel amp, a Audissey and it’s AV capabilities and could be a great deal buying an integrated amp with just a optical input to play my tv sound,

what you guys think?
Could I get an improvement here or it’s just a snake oil?

im thinking about a Marantz 7000n or Denon PMA-900.
I do want a Spotify connect

MacCali

Major Contributor

Almost sold out with only a 1 year warranty. Still not bad, plus color option black or silver

3 year warranty and only one left

As I mentioned to you earlier you can always do Affirm or PayPal pay in 4. Klarna, Bread, etc.

But something a little more expensive and spread the payment out also if you absolutely hate it you can just return it.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
I just got a Revel M105 pair of speakers to replace a Klipsch RB51 and WOW! What a difference

I’m using a Marantz NR1504 to drive them and it has very helpful to improve the horrible Klipsch sound due to it‘s Audissey capabilities. Now, the story Is different since the Revels sound got worse using Audissey.
I was thinking may be I’m spending resources I don’t use, like 5 channel amp, a Audissey and it’s AV capabilities and could be a great deal buying an integrated amp with just a optical input to play my tv sound,

what you guys think?
Could I get an improvement here or it’s just a snake oil?

im thinking about a Marantz 7000n or Denon PMA-900.
I do want a Spotify connect
Isn't it better to go with separates? Streamer + DAC + power amp?

MacCali

Major Contributor
Isn't it better to go with separates? Streamer + DAC + power amp?
I mean it is but not everyone is super crazy about audio like some of us are. Wish I was like that

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd suspect your setup is at issue rather than the hardware/software particularly. It's a particularly weak amp section in that avr, too.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does that Marantz work with Audyssey's iOS app? If so, get the amp, turn off "MRC" (a dip in the midrange to compensate for ****** loudspeaker design), and increase the bass level to an eyeball approximation of your natural room gain.

Audyssey run using the default parameters always degrades good speakers, unfortunately.

OP
C

caioferrari

Does that Marantz work with Audyssey's iOS app? If so, get the amp, turn off "MRC" (a dip in the midrange to compensate for ****** loudspeaker design), and increase the bass level to an eyeball approximation of your natural room gain.

Audyssey run using the default parameters always degrades good speakers, unfortunately.
Mine do not have app capabilities.
I did some measurements in my room and saw some bass peaks and dips due to speaker placement that I fixed moving speakers and applying some eq. There was a 1khz dip that I fixed with eq too and I can say that I got pretty happy with the result.
It’s nice to have a built in EQ on AVR. Since I never play it too loud, for me an AVR is better than an integrated amp. Too bad I don’t have a Yamaha AVR with PEQ

amadeogt

The Revels M105 have lowish impedance (minimum 3.8 ohm, as tested by Amir), and that might be a problem for the NR1504 (it is rated for 6 and 8 ohm speakers).

May I suggest something? Your NR1504 has pre outs for the L and R channels. Buy a cheap class D amp on Aliexpress, such as the Aiyima A07 (well reviewed here on ASR) and connect it to the Marantz pre outs.
Connect your speakers to the Aiyima.

You'll keep using the Marantz, as a digital preamp - and the Aiyima (or another cheap class D) will take care of the amplification. This will only cost you $70 or so - and you might be very surprised with the results.

OP
C

caioferrari

The Revels M105 have lowish impedance (minimum 3.8 ohm, as tested by Amir), and that might be a problem for the NR1504 (it is rated for 6 and 8 ohm speakers).

May I suggest something? Your NR1504 has pre outs for the L and R channels. Buy a cheap class D amp on Aliexpress, such as the Aiyima A07 (well reviewed here on ASR) and connect it to the Marantz pre outs.
Connect your speakers to the Aiyima.

You'll keep using the Marantz, as a digital preamp - and the Aiyima (or another cheap class D) will take care of the amplification. This will only cost you $70 or so - and you might be very surprised with the results.
I doubt the Aiyma or another cheap class D would perform better than Marantz. I already had a Arilic amp and for the first time in my life I heard how an amplifier could sound bad. it was like a low bitrate mp3.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt the Aiyma or another cheap class D would perform better than Marantz. I already had a Arilic amp and for the first time in my life I heard how an amplifier could sound bad. it was like a low bitrate mp3.
More about the power the external amp might bring, changing for an equivalently power rating would be relatively useless, tho. The slimline Marantz avrs have very limited amp sections, pre-outs bring options.

amadeogt

It likely *would* perform better. The Aiyima A07 is probably able to deliver much more current than the NR1504 onboard amps.

Ask me how I know: I have a Marantz SR5005 AVR in my home theater, and it does not perform well with music (connected to a pair of Monitor Audio RX8 speakers). Poor bass, muffled treble, no dynamics. I believe this happens because the RX8 have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms, which the SR5005 can't handle well. I connected the Aiyima to the SR5005 pre-outs, and it made a world of difference. Now the AVR sounds about as good as my integrated amp (a Marantz PM 8003).

If you do go for the Aiyima A07, and since your Revels have a sensitivity of 86 dB, it would be wise to order it with one of the strongest power supplies, at least 36V (see this table for reference: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0018/5257/1723/files/A07Power.png?v=1670038035).

As for the Arylic, you didn't mention the model. Was it the A50+? It has awful SINAD (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...c-a50-streaming-amplifier-measurements.40701/). The Aiyima A07 is way above that, it has 83 dB SINAD (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/aiyima-a07-tpa3255-review-amplifier.18984/)

Last edited:
OP
C

caioferrari

It likely *would* perform better. The Aiyima A07 is probably able to deliver much more current than the NR1504 onboard amps.

Ask me how I know: I have a Marantz SR5005 AVR in my home theater, and it does not perform well with music (connected to a pair of Monitor Audio RX8 speakers). Poor bass, muffled treble, no dynamics. I believe this happens because the RX8 have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms, which the SR5005 can't handle well. I connected the Aiyima to the SR5005 pre-outs, and it made a world of difference. Now the AVR sounds about as good as my integrated amp (a Marantz PM 8003).

If you do go for the Aiyima A07, and since your Revels have a sensitivity of 86 dB, it would be wise to order it with one of the strongest power supplies, at least 36V (see this table for reference: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0018/5257/1723/files/A07Power.png?v=1670038035).

As for the Arylic, you didn't mention the model. Was it the A50+? It has awful SINAD (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...c-a50-streaming-amplifier-measurements.40701/). The Aiyima A07 is way above that, it has 83 dB SINAD (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/aiyima-a07-tpa3255-review-amplifier.18984/)

Yes, the Arylic was the A50+. Awful amp, I’ll never forget it’s “96kpbs mp3” sound.
Does the high SINAD explain that?

Your tip about the Ayima is very good, but I don’t feel lack of power here.
The max output I use is -25dB, less than 1/100 of receiver max power.

Top Bottom