• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

wireless subwoofer

Willem

Major Contributor
I am considering getting a second subwoofer for smoother bass. Unfortunately, as I am sure for many other people as well, it would involve at the very least long and ugly cables and some promising locations cannot even be reached with a cable. So I am thinking of using a wireless kit. Are there sonic issues and/or quality differences or not?

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
I am considering getting a second subwoofer for smoother bass. Unfortunately, as I am sure for many other people as well, it would involve at the very least long and ugly cables and some promising locations cannot even be reached with a cable. So I am thinking of using a wireless kit. Are there sonic issues and/or quality differences or not?

My Denon HEOS soundbar is equipped with WiFi subwoofer - it sounds and measures fine.

What kit are you considering?

OP
W

Willem

Major Contributor
I already have a B&W PV1d sub so the second one will be the same. I see wireless kits by e.g. Teufel and SVS but I have no idea if there are meaningful differences or whether it is just like with cables.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I already have a B&W PV1d sub so the second one will be the same. I see wireless kits by e.g. Teufel and SVS but I have no idea if there are meaningful differences or whether it is just like with cables.

Some small delay will occur due to wireless transport but SQ should remain intact. Can you please post links to those kits?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Because of you people I tend to go to the cheapest option available... Has served me well, I will quickly add. I use this very cheap ...err.. inexpensive product and it works. Small caveat is that it has a slight delay, so Audyssey or other AVR room corrections, "see" the subwoofer a bit further than it's truly is .. it adds about 4 feet to the real distance. Else sounds OK to me in subwoofer applications. $59 on Amazon.
IFinity Wireless Link for Subwoofer and Surround speakers
You can only use one set (emitter, receiver) in a given room. If you need more channels, they have a 4-channel unit. I haven't tried that one.

P.S. The IFInity is 2-channel. I have one sub connected directly to the AVR and the other connected to the Unit. I plan to use it differently though;

AVR sub out to the miniDSP 2x4.
miniDSP Output One directly to sub 1
miniDSP Output 2 &3 to the Ifinity 2-channel Transmitter
Ifinity Receiver Output 1 to Subwoofer 2
Ifinity Receiver Output 2 to subwoofer 3 (Future)

I plan to carefully implement a Geddes-style 3 subwoofer system. Presently I am leaving it to Audyssey with the 2-subs, the results are OK .. Not superlative. IOW I have heard much better and know that I can have much better results. Strange thing is that there are seats positions in the room where bass is very good. At the main listening position not so much. I need to find my UMik and fire REW...

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
Small caveat is that it has a slight delay, so Audyssey or other AVR room corrections, "see" the subwoofer a bit further than it's truly is .. it adds about 4 feet to the real distance.

I find it unusual that measurements Audyssey makes cannot reveal true delay between subwoofers and mains. Maybe @mitchco can provide help with that..

OP
W

Willem

Major Contributor
I notice that the published S/N and distortion performance of many of these units is not stunning. Moreover not all of them have a frequency response that makes them suitable for full range speakers as well. For subwoofers none of this probably matters much, but a comparative test of this quite new category may be useful.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it unusual that measurements Audyssey makes cannot reveal true delay between subwoofers and mains. Maybe @mitchco can provide help with that..
Well the measurements by Audyssey did account for the delay in the subs.. thus it "saw" the sub to be farther than it physically is ...I suppose it also take into account delay in any speakers too ... e.g. powered speakers such as those I use.. delay may be very slight but there must be some processing delay .

OP
W

Willem

Major Contributor
My Antimode 8033 dsp room eq unit adds a delay equivalent to 90 cm, and that is negligeable. However these wireless connections seem to add rather more and with a classic stereo system there is no way I can compensate. At what level does such latency become an issue? Or is it effectively compensated by having the sub further into the room and closer to the listening position?

Krunok

Major Contributor
Well the measurements by Audyssey did account for the delay in the subs.. thus it "saw" the sub to be farther than it physically is ...I suppose it also take into account delay in any speakers too ... e.g. powered speakers such as those I use.. delay may be very slight but there must be some processing delay .

Sure, measurements take into account any delay, but what seems to be your problem as delay was taken into account?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, measurements take into account any delay, but what seems to be your problem as delay was taken into account?
Not much.. Just that the delay is more than what one would expect in a wired subwoofer and should be taken into account ...

Top Bottom