• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows virtualization software?

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really sure this is the right forum as it isn’t directly audio related. If not I’m happy for it to be moved to a better forum. I am looking at recommendations for running Windows software on a M! Mac Mini There is enough software out there that I would like to use that doesn’t have MAC OS ports that running either a virtual machine or another type of emulator would be worthwhile.

The software I am looking to run:
VituaCAD
@pkane’s tools
Hypex’s filter building software for their plate amplifiers

I would prefer something where I don’t have to buy a Windows License, but will take whatever might work best for these software.

Any recommendations?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I don't have any recommendation, just know that you can use Windows 10 completely for free, for as long as you want.

When installing Windows, it'll ask for a key, but you can just click on "I don't have a product key". You can then use Win10 indefinitely without ever activating it.

The only limitations will be a watermark in the bottom right corner and I think you can't change the wallpaper.

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Will apps intended for Windows on the Intel x86/64 platform run on Windows for ARM though? Is there some kind of Intel emulation layer?

EDIT: I found this:

PCs powered by Arm provide great application compatibility and allow you to run your existing unmodified x86 win32 applications. Arm apps run natively without any emulation, while x86 and x64 apps run under emulation on Arm devices.

I'm not sure how glitch free audio measurement tools would run in this environment though....

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Will apps intended for Windows on the Intel x86/64 platform run on Windows for ARM though? Is there some kind of Intel emulation layer?
Yes, just like x86 MacOS apps run on Arm hardware.

As for Windows emulation/virtualization on MacOs, you could try Crossover. I’ve had mixed results, but I suspect my install may be borked. It’s also not free. Possibly Wine can nowadays also run x86 Windows apps on Arm MacOs? Haven’t tried in quite a while.

OP
IPunchCholla

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, just like x86 MacOS apps run on Arm hardware.

As for Windows emulation/virtualization on MacOs, you could try Crossover. I’ve had mixed results, but I suspect my install may be borked. It’s also not free. Possibly Wine can nowadays also run x86 Windows apps on Arm MacOs? Haven’t tried in quite a while.
I might give crossover a try, I tried Wine, but it didn’t work with Hypex’s software. At least as I tried to do it, but Wine’s instructions are pretty opaque to me, and they have discontinued Mac support since the switch to Apple Silicon.

OP
IPunchCholla

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have any recommendation, just know that you can use Windows 10 completely for free, for as long as you want.

When installing Windows, it'll ask for a key, but you can just click on "I don't have a product key". You can then use Win10 indefinitely without ever activating it.

The only limitations will be a watermark in the bottom right corner and I think you can't change the wallpaper.
Thanks! I didn’t know you could do that with Windows 10.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think they need Rosetta for that - however my understanding is that Rosetta is not very performant.
Windows has its own emulation layer called WOW64.

As for Rosetta 2, it’s actually quite performant. Certainly not native speed, but close enough for many apps. Some apps can even run at more than native speeds (if you can say that) because they primarily use libraries that already run natively. For the apps lites by the OP, speed is not a problem.

The WOW64 emulation is similar in performance to Rosetta 2.

There are other issues though. For instance the Hypex tool can talk to the DSP over USB. I’m not sure if this is a simple serial port over USB or something else. Usually these things give complications at best, and are impossible to get working at its worst.

OP
IPunchCholla

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well since that is one of my primary use cases (Hypex tool), that iglitchiness is a downer. I thought VMware Fusion might have been the thing, but it looks like the killed the free personal/student version. It might be cheaper and easier just to buy a low end mini windows box or laptop.

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It might be cheaper and easier just to buy a low end mini windows box or laptop.
This would be my solution.

I do run Arta and WaveSpectra +others under Wine on Linux, but of course that's all the same x86 architecture.

I've not tried pkane's software as yet - however I think his software is built on DotNet or Visual C++ and I know Linux has Mono (DotNet 'equivalent') to support DotNet, however I'm not sure if the Visual C++ distributable can be installed under Wine (I've never had need to, so never tried).

However it is possible to buy used small form factor PCs with a Windows licence quite cheaply on Ebay - that could be an option for you (assuming you don't want to install a full height sound card!).

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to use Parallels for VCAD and DATS, but got sick of the annual license. A few years ago I bought a separate windows laptop (HP Elitebook X360 - my primary criterion was trackpad properly centered rather than offset like most generics) and primarily use it on my M1 rMBP through Microsoft Remote Desktop. It’s not as good as Screen Sharing from Mac to Mac but works well enough.

You could also just use a cheap off lease little generic desktop and temporarily hook it up to a TV and BT keyboard/mouse to set it up for screen sharing. I bought a laptop because I didn’t want that hassle. You need the “pro” version of windows for Remote Desktop.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with above posts -probably the easiest solution is to get a mini PC running Windows, and connect to it via MS Remote Desktop. If you still want to try the VM route, I would recommend to give Oracle Virtualbox a try.

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Not a whole lot to add, but first off, Rosetta 2 is very performant, it actually fully compiles the x86 binaries to Arm native the first time you run it, then thereafter runs the recompiled native version. But that's for Mac x86 apps.

For running windows stuff, in my experience Win 11 Arm running in Parallels is the way to go. It's a polished, supported, professional product. But you're best off buying the full Win 11 license. And it ain't all peaches and cream. Win 11 has a really good x86 to Arm translator, as noted above, but it's an on-the-fly translator, so you take a bit of a speed hit every time you run the program. That said, things like MSO and Ratbuddesy run great. The only bug in the ointment I've run into is Multeq-X, which the Microsoft store won't even let me download. No idea what the issue is, but I just see it as a good excuse to save $200. You'd think Audessey would want to be all around competitive with Dirac, but no bueno.

Top Bottom