• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 10 20H2: new issues with USB latency never experienced before

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
No high CPU usage...no storport.sys latency problems...no clicks and pops in audio streams.

20H2 really does NOT get along with either of my HP desktops.

I have one pooda that has been turned into an utter potato by 20H2. But this one and all the others are fine.

1612870479109.png

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's my pre-update situation... I'll update now and report back.
Curiosity will kill the cat I think...

preupdate.PNG

right after update (some stuff still going on in background)

after.PNG

Interestingly, the app that was generating the "hard page faults" was textinputhost.exe, which is a helper for typed emojis as I understand it.

C:\Windows\SystemApps>taskkill /f /im textinputhost.exe
SUCCESS: The process "TextInputHost.exe" with PID 12732 has been terminated.

after2.PNG

No impact that I can tell on any of my sound/streaming outputs.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one pooda that has been turned into an utter potato by 20H2. But this one and all the others are fine.
Any idea why a pooder would be crashed by the 20H2 Windows update? I've updated both my pooders to 20H2 and have no issues.

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Weirdly I just updated my old music source PC (7 year old Dell i3-4150 with recently added Samsung 1GB SSD) to 20H2 because I had the feeling that in the last few weeks my PC sounded more unclear and imaging suffered and now I have the feeling it sounds really good, is it just placebo?
Just installed ran also LatencyMon and all is shown in the green region, unfortunately hadn't done it before the update...

Probably placebo. The problems commonly experienced with USB DACs from latency problems create pops/clicks as far as I know.

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any idea why a pooder would be crashed by the 20H2 Windows update? I've updated both my pooders to 20H2 and have no issues.

Perhaps it isn't specific to 20H2, but if something goes amiss in the update process, that can cause the high CPU usage issues I noted above. I saw several posts on various user forums over the past year regarding high CPU % due to System/Diagnostic Policy Service etc. after Windows Update ran, and not always after version updates as far as I could tell. Some of those were attributed to a simple database type error that's resolved by deleting a problematic data file, then rebooting and letting Windows recreate it, etc. For me, that didn't work.

maxxone

I get pop/clicks when I'm running a higher bit rate than 24/96khz. I'm not sure if it's due to my receiver or windows.
No problems here on 20H2 either.

kkeretic

Long time ago I have been experiencing occasional dropouts with Foobar2000, probably since Windows 8. Until I wrote a little tool that pushes realtime priority over ASIOHost32/64 in realtime whenever it finds it running. It could be expanded to support WASAPIHost32/64. Not a single problem since even if I force machines with heavy photo/video processing etc.

maxxone

Long time ago I have been experiencing occasional dropouts with Foobar2000, probably since Windows 8. Until I wrote a little tool that pushes realtime priority over ASIOHost32/64 in realtime whenever it finds it running. It could be expanded to support WASAPIHost32/64. Not a single problem since even if I force machines with heavy photo/video processing etc.

In windows 10 he can open the task manager and give the process a higher priority.

kkeretic

In windows 10 he can open the task manager and give the process a higher priority.

Yes, but this have to be set every time the player starts to play because the host is terminated when playback is stopped.

Top Bottom